SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Exercise in Reaching Out (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/121896-exercise-reaching-out.html)

Midas 07-06-2007 10:01 PM

Have you ever felt like just giving up? Completely?

Thoughts about ending everything run through my head, BUT I KEEP GOING. It's like I can't stop. My spirit has a supernatural inertia behind it. You don't have to go to church to be spiritual. You don't have to listen to what experts say. They don't know the truth.

You don't have to believe in anyone but yourself. Believing in a Higher Power doesn't mean believing in a ruthless, angry G•d who will strike you down for not saying grace. Higher Powers are Plutonic. They have existed before time immemorial.

Reaching out when others shy away...it's a test of merit. It builds character. It shows people you care.

Come and share.

scaredykat 07-06-2007 10:11 PM

Hi Midas,

I know what your saying. I read on here everyday and talk to people on the newbie bus. I make out like I'm happy on the bus, but I'm really not. I'm hurting inside and disappointed in myself that I can't be like you guys. I have to try again and I'm scared of failing again. I made it to 3 days a couple of weeks ago. My mother-inlaw was so proud of me when i told her. She said just try again. I don't understand why she was so proud of my 3 days. I'm not because I lost them. I don't even no why I'm talking to you. I just feel weird about everything.

Barb

Midas 07-06-2007 10:30 PM

Don't feel bad. It's hard to get started sometimes. It really is like riding a bike. Hell, I crashed and burned a dozen times before I could take off the training wheels!! I even went head over heels a couple of times. Some people gripe about the stupid things they did when they were drunk...I bi?†ch about the stupid things I do WHEN I'M SOBER.

Don't focus so much on failing. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't worry about being sober next week, next month, or even tomorrow. Just take it one day at a time.

Midas 07-07-2007 11:58 AM

…sometimes I wonder if I care TOO much about people...

Hope 07-07-2007 12:08 PM

I struggle with feeling like no one cares. I don't often talk about it because I'm embarrassed to even feel that way. I have these thoughts that I'm worthless. I try to get past that but it keeps coming back. I feel like I have nothing to offer people.

There's so much that I'd come on here and talk about but I have trouble opening up.

I don't know why I feel this way but sometimes when I share and don't get responses, I feel rejected. So I have stayed away. I know that people care and that they are busy with their own lives too so I am trying to learn to not take things so personally.

Also I think it is hard to discern coldness from caring in typed words that do not have the same emotion as spoken words.

I keep reading things and thinking they come off as cold and uncaring when really it may not be meant that way.

I need to learn to express how I'm feeling and reach out more.

Writing this post and actually posting it is uncomfortable for me. I keep thinking that I shouldn't hit the post button but this is my practice in reaching out so I will do it.

Anna 07-07-2007 12:11 PM

This is a great thread Barry!

I think we are all here to help others and to help ourselves.

Rusty Zipper 07-07-2007 06:32 PM

time to open up people...

Midas-ize!

xxoo, rz