Notices

First time in AA

Old 04-25-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time in AA

Well, I headed to AA last night for the first time ever. I've been to an equivilant to NA for a couple years back about 7 years ago, but it's been awhile. The group was very kind & supportive, and I felt stronger for their stories. Unfortunately, being 24, none of them were anywhere near my age group. Not that I minded, just that it's easier for me to relate to people who grew up in my generation. Does anyone know: is it typical for a group to consist of people mostly in their 50's, or are there groups geared towards younger crowds?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Try at least a few meetings. The ages at the nightly meeting I attend range from 14 up to 84. One of our members even worked for Bill W. And yes, there are AA youth groups, so check around at meetings for bulletin boards that might have notices for those groups.

One thing I'd like to mention is that I was attracted to AA because I saw how people of all ages, religions, race, creed, etc. could come together and get along for a common bond. That's what being a Fellowship means to me.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Here's a link for you http://community.acypaa.org/?q=home
Old 04-25-2007, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This one's even better http://www.icypaa.org/
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks a ton, Astro! It's sometimes hard for me to find these sources on my own since I'm so new, but I guess that's what the board's for, huh? Happy Wednesday!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey climbing, i'm glad you're looking into more meeting options. at 24, i can see why it would be nice to have opportunities to meet folks your age. i know the young people groups in my area socialize together some, so that's nice. you know - coffee shops, dinners out, workouts, movies, and such. i also think astro makes a great point that it is a fellowship and you can learn a lot from folks of all ages.

keep us posted! blessings, k
Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My pleasure CO, and like parentrecovers said I enjoy going out with the younger crowd at times for coffee, meals, and activities together. We all benefit from supporting each other, I've learned from them and vice-versa.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

hey hey climbing out!

AA kids are the coolest! thank God i found AA so young, not only am i clean and serene, but i've made some of the best friends humanly possibly. i've struggled with feeling alienated as a young person in AA, but the more meetings i go to and the more events i check out, the more kids i meet. the Big Book makes sure newcomers know that AA isn't about being bummed out, instead that it's about enjoying life and fellowship with other alcoholics. i guess you probably get that already, but it seemed fitting.

one more thing: my friend earl was sharing in a meeting the other night, a big book study actually, and he talked about AA friends vs. non-alcoholic/addict friends. he said the big thing for him is that you can't go up to your non-AA kids and say "who's ready for a spiritual journey?!"

i heart earl.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Your posts make me anticipate my first AA meeting. I have a question. Do you have to sign up before going to an AA meeting or can you just show up? I was looking up info for these meetings so that when I go to live at home in a few days, I can attend them but some of the meetings in my town say "closed meetings". What does that mean? And some of them say open? I don't understand this.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, there's no sign up sheets, no dues, no fees, no pleages
You can come and go as you please.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to
stop drinking.

Close meetings are for people the admitted they are
alcoholic.

Open meetings or open for anyone to attend,
such as family and friends.

It was the same way when I first got sober @ 22.
I was the babie...
I like the old folks tho.
The folks with decade, decade of recovery under their belt.
It's was safer actaully, becuase they have no hidden motives.
They're like granparents, aunts, uncles that I never have.

It was suggested the I attend NA, becuase of the younger crowd,
But I always go back to the old folks, I love them.
They love me and put up with me..lol
My sponsor is in NA, My grandsponsor is AA
Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
This one's even better http://www.icypaa.org/

I'll be there!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know you all are bringing a lump to this old goats throat and a tear to my eye!!! I was 52 when I finally got to AA and got sober, my heart soars when I see a young person come into the rooms, they have a chance to enjoy so many more years of serenity and sobriety then I ever will. They will be able to raise their children sober, all of my kids were raised by a damn drunk..... me, my twins the youngest were 14 when I sobered up, they had me as a father when I was at my worse, I had gotten so bad that thier mom was in the process of getting another place for them to live to where they would not have to watch me kill myself.

The youth in AA have so much in store for them, you get to hear old guys like me babble about how AA saved our lifes and the youth of AA speak of how AA has not only saved their life, but also given them a life of happiness beyond their wildest dreams.

I am familiar with Rancho Cordova, I am sure they have a lot of younger folks there in AA.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the good info! I love to glean knowledge & experience from the older crowd, but feel as if I need to find a group closer to my age so I don't feel like the "baby". I am so excited to find my home meeting & get to know others with the same problem to learn from & get to know.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

great plan, climbing out. can't have too many aa friends..k
Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's good to try a few meetings so that you get a different perspective on them. They're not all alike.

Try hard to reach out, ask for phone numbers, and most of all enjoy the journey. We're definitely not a glum lot;-)
Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

climbingout,
You're not alone! I'm 23. I started going to meetings a month and a half ago... and I am so grateful to have found AA. It has helped me immensely. Definitely try different meetings. You'll meet people our age. Best wishes!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Originally Posted by ClimbingOut View Post
Thanks all for the good info! I love to glean knowledge & experience from the older crowd, but feel as if I need to find a group closer to my age so I don't feel like the "baby". I am so excited to find my home meeting & get to know others with the same problem to learn from & get to know.
My sponsor, who isn't apart of my YP circle of friends, is always hammering into me the idea that the first 100 drunks recovered by the program in the Big Book, not the fellowship. So I try to keep a nice balance... Work my program of recovery- the way it's laid out in the book.. try to pratice living it.. once I got to that point, and have as much fun with the YP crowd that is avail. to me. We are not a glum lot.. that's for damn sure. My point is... recovery comes first for me.. and that, for me, needs to come from somewhere other than the circle I run around to meetings with.. cuz at times, we don't always keep the proper things up front and center.
Again, my sponsor always tells me, "the fellowship came out of the program, not the other way around.. " Bill + Bob stayed sober through the program of recovery and then a 3rd, etc etc... and without people staying sober there would be no fellowship. Makes sense.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

requiredfield you speak with power my friend, the program is what actually heals our rotting spirits to allow us to stay sober, the fellowship is the results of the program, in the early days of sobriety the fellowship probably keeps the newcomer sober long enough for the program to start healing the gangrene of their soul and gives the newcomer an idea of what is to be gained by working and living the program.

Even us old folk can be fun, I mean when you are around a room full of crazy (Not insane) sober people it is hard not to have some fun, who cares if normies do not understand half of the stuff we laugh at! LOL
Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you're reaching out and seeking answers - sobriety looks good on you!

Rowan
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

CO, great attitude! The YOUNG people in AA do amaze me too.

I never saw the rooms until I was in my mid forties...you have SO much ahead of you!!!!

One thing that has helped me along the way, Look for the similarities, not the differences!

Stick around! You're needed!

Tom