Notices

Turning lemons into lemonade

Old 04-25-2007, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turning lemons into lemonade

Hi everyone-

I am really understanding how important it is in recovery to turn lemons into lemonade. What a difference a positive attitude makes. I am learning to look at the "opportunity" and STOP, evaluate, realize whether or not I have any control over the situation. If I do, I ask for strength to do so, If I can't, I TRY to accept it and figure out how to go on.

It doesn't matter whether or not you go to AA- The Serenity Prayer can and will help you through situations if you let it.

Please don't let the "God" throw you off- get past that...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

What do you do to turn lemons into lemonade?

xoxo T
Old 04-25-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks for this post today, I am in early recovery and feel pretty insane. I just get so worked up in my head. The serenity prayer is a good reminder to slow down and put my life back into God's hands. God knows when I run the show I fall into "The Hole".
Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thanks, tamtam - i needed to hear this. blessings, k
Old 04-25-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Originally Posted by TamTam View Post
Hi everyone-

I am really understanding how important it is in recovery to turn lemons into lemonade. What a difference a positive attitude makes.
xoxo T

T,

Thank you so much for this post. I really needed to hear it. I've had nothing but a negative attitude internally and I need to change it. I prayed the serenity prayer after reading your post.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tam,

It is a great thread and a great reminder to all of us.
I am amazed at how perfect the serenity prayer actually is -- in so many different situations.

It also goes hand-in-hand with one of my other favourite sayings and that is, "things happen for a reason".

Today, I will choose joy and be grateful that I have wonderful kids and great friends like you.

Hugs,
C
Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

well first off thanks for the post. what i do to turn lemons into lemonaid is get rid of all the negative friends out there. they arnt your real friends just party buddies looking for a good time. once the drugs/booze is gone so are they. so i dropped them. also i stay busy every day atleast i try, because when your alone all by yourself the demonds start talking you into the old stuff (drugs booze). i come here everyday! yes everyday it helps me to read and respond to people and maybe i can help someone other than myself. i take time to play with my son. he always comes first. we go to the park, movies and his fav place to eat mickey dees. someday im gonna go broke buying them damn happy meals lol. i keep a journal witch i try and read and write in everyday. i have another journal about all the negatives and positives that i have done with my addictions. sometimes as addicts we tend to forget so quick about what stupid sh!t we have done. so its nice to write it all down and when you do have the temptation read it. it helps me. i see a shrink. that is like my aa/na. it has worked wonders. i spend time with family and last but not least i have gotten rid of all the drug dealers numbers. prob is i still know where they live. but its a choice i make not to see them. im not perfect i have slipped many times but im not ready to give up on myself. im worth it! jason
Old 04-25-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jason, journaling is a great idea. I wish I had the discipline to do that. Never had. As with many things in my life, I start and don't finish... Hopefully that will change soon.

mmmmmm- ice cold lemonade for everyone!!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

**{tam}} i love you! you said exactly what i needed to hear when i needed to hear it -- again!

hugs to ya, my friend
Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love this prayer. Thanks.

Barb
Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. What do I do to turn lemons into lemonade? I've learned that talking about my feelings and problems actually helps. Turning to the bottle only suppresses my feelings and makes my problems worse. Without alcohol in my life, I've noticed that I'm encountering far fewer lemons.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Midas

Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree that the Serenity Prayer works wonders. It is almost magical, to me at least. I must admit I am not always as positive as I should be, but I am much less negative than I was. That may not make sense, but sometimes I don't make much sense lately. I just try to stay busy from morning until bedtime as far as the lemonade part. Sure seem to get a lot more accomplished than I did several weeks back. Very happy to find all of you and to find the place that I am at right now.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Boy did I have to stop and say that prayer today!

Another thing- I am smiling so much more these days- it makes it easier to tackle issues that way... it makes it easier to find some little thing that is positive instead of focusing on the negative. There is always something good to see in every situation...

xoxo T
Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hope3

PMA, PMA. PMA, PMA..

All you have to do is practise it, positive mental attitude.

It's hard at first, and even occasionally I slip, Ha, Ha, but there

is always a way.

My signature says it all, love and hope...
Old 04-26-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

as a person who has lived a life full of lemons......i gotta say that appreciating the little things, beautiful weather, my children and my husband.....not burning dinner for once...lol......a nice nap.......a good movie, whatever.......is how i turn my numerous lemons into lemonade.......not to mention relying on good friends to give me love and support through those lemony days......lemonade is better with friends...lol.....