Notices

college student and struggling

Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face college student and struggling

My alcohlism is ruining my life. Im a 22 yr old college student in denver Colorado, and today was probably one of my lowest moments. My parents absolutely have given up on me, and my drinking. I am an intelligent guy, and manage to do well in school, but I haven't established my life yet...or held a career, so im just freaking out. I feel like ill be homeless soon. Alcohol sucks, and it is poison to me..! Any other younger people struggling?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'm 28 & a university grad but my post-secondary years were tough. alcohol is everywhere and it seems like a lifestyle for everyone. the difference is that a lot of those students who go on pub crawls or hit the bars all the time have that "switch" that they can shut on & off (for their drinking habits). i learned i didn't have that switch and i just wanted to drink 24/7.

sounds like you've got a ton of pressure on you. a lot of 22 years olds haven't decided on a career yet. you'll get it figured out in your own time & there is probably a good reason why you haven't jumped in with both feet to a specific career yet.

believe in your own convictions. you say your parents have all but given up on you. don't let the guilt your carrying around about their expectations hinder what you are going to do tomorrow. when it comes down to it at the end of the day, whether we pick up that bottle is up to us and not anyone else. pm me anytime & hope you have a great weekend....dan
Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

Im 24 and I know it is not easy. I gained a lot of humility when I finally decided that I cannot do this on my own. I called a local drug and alcohol abuse outpatient rehab center, and I started the next day. That decision was the best decision I have made for myself in my entire life. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, rfanchnyc. it's nice to meet you. i have a 22 year old daughter. she is an alcoholic and a cocaine addict. aa meetings and treatment has helped her.

you can find aa meetings just for young people in area. and your campus should offer some help and guidance through the health center.

you're wise to recognize this problem at 22. recovery is possible, at any age.

and as a mom, please let me say this - don't be too hard on your parents at this point. alcoholism is a family disease, and they most likely have some soul searching and recovery to do themselves.

everyday that my daughter is clean and sober, i am grateful.

blessings, and keep posting! k
Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by rfanchnyc View Post
My alcohlism is ruining my life. Im a 22 yr old college student in denver Colorado, and today was probably one of my lowest moments. My parents absolutely have given up on me, and my drinking. I am an intelligent guy, and manage to do well in school, but I haven't established my life yet...or held a career, so im just freaking out. I feel like ill be homeless soon. Alcohol sucks, and it is poison to me..! Any other younger people struggling?
rfanchnyc,

So, you remind me of me. When I was 22 I was well into my alcohlic lifestyle. I was talking with my wife of 35 years last night, who I married when I was 22. We were looking back at when we married and discussing the reasons why. She wanted to get away from a very dysfunctional family and I, being the drunk that I was, had just a spec of sense about me. She was one that I could not let get away.

So we married. And for the next 13 years I took heer to hell and back. As we looked back, I found myself reflecting on what our lives would have been, how much more I could have accomplished, had I taken the opportunity to rid myself of the alcoholism that plagued me.

You have a unique opportunity. You are young with the future ahead of you. It doesn't matter at this point what you want to do or whether you haven't a clue. The important thing is that you do have the opportunity so many others have flown right by. You have the choice to get help, be it through AA, or some other type of support. There are many young people in AA today that weren't there 21 years ago when I got sober. There are even specific meetings for young people so they can indentify with those around them.

Check it out, it beats the alternative.

Your friend whose been there,
Ed
Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

I am 22 and in college too.I know what you mean, for me it's very difficult to have to study for calculus and fight the disease at the same time. But we all have lives and in it we have a moment that is crucial. i too think that if i won't stop i wont be able to keep a job or have a family.That's why there's sobriety.It is the answer
Anything you need, i'm here too.

God bless
Old 04-21-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks for responding all

Thanks a lot for the good advice and hopeful words! Im doing much better, tonight im taking care of myself, and going to AA often. It sick how much you can lie to yourself and get back out there and drink again. I feel 10000000 times better sober. I just need to hold on to that.

Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, 21 and struggling too. I know how hard it is to keep up the studying and working hard. Alcohol and partying has almost made me quit study and work so many times. But I know without those things in my life I wont achieve my goals...
Old 04-21-2007, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rfanchnyc View Post
Thanks a lot for the good advice and hopeful words! Im doing much better, tonight im taking care of myself, and going to AA often. It sick how much you can lie to yourself and get back out there and drink again. I feel 10000000 times better sober. I just need to hold on to that.

Thanks again!
that was such a great post
Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm here bud. Just turned 21 this past weekend. Unlike you, I failed out of a big university in Austin because my drinking got that bad. Just make the decision to quit, tell your friends and family. I guarantee they'll be supportive, and every day will seem better than the last.

It was great to celebrate my 21st birthday weekend sober, with my friends all drinking but telling me how proud they were of my decision. Believe it or not, it's a good way to score chicks "Oh, I've never known anyone that was that strong a person, call me!"