Notices

Day 2...

Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2...

I'm on Day 2 which doesn't sound impressive but when I get through today it will be the first time I've gone more than a day completely sober in almost 6 months.
This forum is a huge help. It helps me to focus on and celebrate my small successes rather than beat myself up over my large failures.
In complete honesty, I'm not considering AA at this point. I know that it's helped a lot of people but I'm not ready to personally buy-in to the process. This forum has been fantastic and I'd like to stick with it alone for while.
I welcome any thoughts on this.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'd say day two is very impressive, unger.

i love that you "WHEN" i get through day 2, not "IF" i get through it - that says a lot.

as far as aa, it sure can't hurt anything to try a few before you make a decision. nothing to lose..

blessings, k
Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Whaddya mean not impressive??!! Day 2 is very big, just keep taking sobriety one day at a time.

A couple thoughts on AA. I spent 5 months attending meetings, hiding in the back of the room, not wanting to "buy in", pretty sure I could go it alone without working the 12 Steps, or finding a better way (my way) to get through the Steps. I mean, nobody really does those Steps, right?

When the loneliness was killing me and I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, I made the decision to embrace the program. I've never looked back on a drink, and I've got a beautiful life in recovery. Try to keep an open mind, OK?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

unger this place SR is of great help to me and many others, but I would have never made it here if it were not for AA, that is me, AA is not for everyone.

AA is like the last house on the block of recovery, AA was darn sure the last place I wanted to go to to stay sober, but after 10 years of trying it all alone it was truly the last house on the block for me yet studies show that more people have got and stayed sober using AA then all other programs combined.

I wish you all the luck in the world in staying sober, it is not easy, the early days are the toughest, it gets easier with time, but every once in a while, some times for reasons that can not be explained that old obsession to drink jumps up, so recovery is an ongoing life long process and not a matter of staying sober for a certian amount of time and then every thing will be fine from then on.

I'm not considering AA at this point
You are a bright person, you did not say never, I did which may be why I stayed drunk for so many extra years. My dad quit without AA but he was only 34 and not as advanced in his disease as I was.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome, glad you are here!

I could not get sober own my own.

I tried for decades.........

I had to have an open mind.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

hi there! day 2 is impressive. your making a big change in your life and i dont care if its 2 days or 2 years. you are doing great. you should pat yourself on the back on a job well done. im happy for you keep it up...jason
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Atta Boy Unger!!

Day 2 is fantastic!!

TinLizzy
Old 04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Two days is Awsome!!! The first day was the hardest for me.......every time!!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 2, congratulations unger. As time goes by it will get easier, I promise.
There are a lot of unpleasant feeling with alcohol withdrawal. So ride them out. If they get to bad see your Dr.

As far as going it alone, I couldn't do it. I need all of the support I get. I go to AA, post here, call sober friends, and have medical treatment and a therapist.

Best wishes to you and your adventure into a sober life.

Carol
Old 04-18-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hope3

Conjgrats on two days.

One day at a time, best wishes, hope3
Old 04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA is like the last house on the block of recovery, AA was darn sure the last place I wanted to go to to stay sober, but after 10 years of trying it all alone it was truly the last house on the block for me
Ditto. I was sitting in jail saying to myself *sigh* "darnit, I guess I better go to AA now........."

Best thing that ever happened to me. Boy were my ideas about AA wrong. Along with just about everything else I though I knew
Old 04-19-2007, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

Hi unger, just poping in

to say hi, hope everything is

going well, Hope3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chipmunk.jpg (7.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-19-2007, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great Job on day 2, as far as AA goes I posted before on the many groups that are out there today, "whatever works" for you, I see no reason in the world that you can't stay sober, explore your options. I to am not a real big fan of AA, i owe my life to AA, but I "take what I need and leave the rest", and I still go to a meeting or two once in a while, it is the only thing in town, that is why I belong to other groups on the "net".

Hope3, are you from Albany ??
Old 04-19-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing.

We care!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi unger, where are you, hope3