Notices

Checking in, almost at 9 months sober

Old 04-15-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in, almost at 9 months sober

Hi all, been a few months since I've posted. Thought I'd pop in and say howdy!!
A few days from now on about April 20, I'll be 9 months without a drop of booze. In my 53 years, life has not looked this good for a long, long time. My business is doing extremely well and I've got to wonder to myself, how much better I'd be off financially today, if i hadn't run my business as an alcoholic for so many years.
I'm in construction, for the first time in years, my customers are telling me how much they like me personally, I haven't had to make excuses about meetings in the afternoons, when previously I'd have been sloshed by 1 or 2 pm.
No hungover mornings......those memories are now so far in the past, it seems like I never drank at all.
Absolutely no desire for a drink, the smell of liquor turns my stomach.

Had a big scare a few days back........my wife's mother passed away almost three weeks ago at age 84 after a very wonderful life, her passing was peaceful, at home surrounded by family.
My wife has been quite upset as she and her mom were very close. Wife had pretty much cut off all drinking around the same time I did, while still having the occasional glass of wine, beer or hard liquor drink. She's been taking Xanax and Paxil for anxiety and depression over the last year her mom was going downhill.

Well.......this past Wednesday night, she hit hard on a bottle of rum.....I was downstairs in the kitchen at about 10pm when I heard a KABOOM from up in the bedroom.....I rush upstairs and she's flat out on the floor......I couldn't get her to be coherent.....she had zero coordination......eyes rolled back in her head.....shallow breathing....I'd try to sit her up and bam.........she'd flop right over.......I called a close friend of mine to come over and also called my neighbor across the street who's a psychologist and as such has some medical training.........we got her up on the bed......pupils not reacting to bright light......I couldn't find a pulse in the neck or wrist.............neighbor psychologist say we got to get her to the Emergency room, pronto......I say...I'll call 911............not enough time he says........Took three of us to get her down the stairs and into my truck and off we go at 100mph with the flashers going to the E Room.....a 15 mile drive away....

Anyway.....turns out she had a blood alcohol level of .39, which I'm gussing is getting close to lethal for a woman of her size..........she's also got Xanax and Opiods in her blood.......I knew she was taking the Xanax...........and i knew she'd had a couple of drinks........but she must have been sneaking and self medicating her depression over her mother's death...........and where the heck she got the narcotics (codeine) from i have not a clue.

Emergency room doc said she was close to losing her life, good that we got her there quickly. She spent a day in the Psych ward after getting released from the emergency room and I'm investigating a rehab/therapy place for her.

Well............that's my story..........as I said, I have not posted here for the last few months.....life is good without the booze.........but I was scared.....and I mean real scared about my wife.

Take care all.........I still won't forget what a big help people at this sitew were to me during my initial withdrawal/detox and for several months after.

I'll be checking in from time to time and I have been lurking some without posting.......reading others stories with the demon alcohol.

God Bless

Scott
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

wow. you sure sound inspirational. being sober, changes everything!
business, personal, wow!
my condolences on your wife's mother passing. And i hope your wife finds peace and gets out of depression. My brother once had a panic attack twice in the same night, we had to call 911 twice. In those two times paramedics had told us different ways to deal with the case. It was scary. So you having to go through that with your wife must have been really really hard. I am glad you are strong, you are an inspiration to me( a newbie).

keep it up, and i believe your wife's depression will pass. I've seen it happen in my family. Some day it all starts falling into place.It's like a miracle, really, like God chooses to give you peace.

God bless you
Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi lastbinge, I'm so glad you were sober and there

for your wife, it could have turned out so much worse.

Congrats on your 9 months, hope3
Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

Hey Scott,

So happy to hear your wife is okay. I know, not out of the woods by any stretch but as Hope3 said, better than the alternative. I do believe that had you not been sober she would have had no chance. I'm grateful that God has blessed you with 9 months of sobriety. Isn't it amazing how different people look at your when you're sober?

I'm 56 and been sober for a period of time now. Thanks for sharing you ESH, I still need to hear it so I know there's never an option for me.

Your friend in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

woo hoo scott! 9 months is great! my 9 months is the 24th and i am feeling well too.

so sorry about your wife and best of luck to the both of you.

congratulations on this milestone of your journey!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies.......my wife seems to be doing pretty well after the big scare we had. She's sworn off alcohol again and I'm keeping track of her Xanax intake......basically I took her perscription and am doling out to her as I see fit......trying to taper her down from what was getting to be to high of a daily dose.

And y'all are correct, if this had happened back in my drinking days, I'd likely have been passed out drunk and not had a clue what had happened if I'd woken up with her not living anymore.

I had known for a good ten years that I was a full blown alcoholic...I regret it took so long to do something about it....but I sure have no regrets about the outcome of giving up the life of a drunk.

WoooooooHooooooooo life is good.

Thanks again

Scott