Notices

Oh boy

Old 04-15-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Oh boy

Well here goes nuthin.
I am on day number 3 of sobriety. My drug of choice, burboun, to get me started anyway and then anything that filled that general theme after that. After attempting to quit by myself more times than I can remember and denial of any problem before that, it has come time to put my best foot forward. This forum is amazing, and in the 3 days I have been coming here I have gone from hopeless to hopeful and almost even confident that I can do this. I have always said I can do it on my own and over time it has become quite obvious that I can not. After this last fight with my wife I was told I needed to get help or get out so I have chosen to take the step after admission, I sought professional help. My wife doesn't understand what's going on and has in the past lead to ridicule which in turn has lead to . . . . you guessed it. It can't anymore, I used to have a life, I used to be physically active, I used to have friends and I still have 2 beautiful daughters that deserve a father, not a drunk.
I go in for my chemical dependancy eval this week and had I not found all of you I am not sure how my mental state would be.
Thank you all in advance for your support and understanding.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Will good to see you admitted you have a problem with alcohol.Your on the right step now,maybe now get to some A.A meeting and meet some wonderful people who had the same problem and how they got over it day by day.Good luck my friend and keep trying...
Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiyas and Welcome to SR!

Glad you found us! Day 3 already?! Great job!! You are off to a wonderful start! Seeking help from your doctor is a fantastic idea! Please let us know how things are going. Keep posting and reading, there is so much support here. This site has kept me sober many a days when I honestly didnt think I could get through just one more day!

Liss
Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Red face welldone

welldone mate hold in their together we can beat alcolism its hard but nothing is ever easy in situations like these good luck
Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Frank!

Admitting you have a problem and being willing to get help is hard to do, but necessary. Well done on both counts. Many people here who have been where you are at - I'm one of them - and will help support you as you go through this. hang in there and keep posting!

Rowan
Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, frank! it's nice to meet you. blessings, k
Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

If I didn't know any better I would have thought you knew me personally. I fought with my wife for many years, had two beautiful little girls, and felt exactly the way you do now. I'm very encouraged that you have decided to seek help. Same thing with me, after 18 years is was either "put up or shut up" I "put up" and it's been 20+ years since I had my last drink. Oh, the marriage remains a bit unsteady at times, my wife doen't understand the alcoholic mind even today. But my girls are grown women now, both have families, and are happy because their dad lives a life they can be proud of. The same can happen for you. Keep it up, the best is yet to come!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Frank -

You've taken a great step. Keep posing and asking questions.

TinLizzy
Old 04-15-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome, you have made a great decision.

My story is similar, one day at a time, hope3
Old 04-17-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lookin for some insight, ideas to stave off triggers. So far I've realized boredom, stress, anxiety. What has anyone done or tried successful or not to alieviate the cravings when triggers are actively present?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What I have found works best for me is physical activity.....from a brisk walk to splitting wood. Anything that gets me moving. If I am idle too long the craving gets worse but if I make myself move, it not only occupies me through the craving, it also relieves stress. Good luck, stay strong.
Liss
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ANYTHING (except alcohol) that occupies the mind and/or body!

TinLizzy
Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Frank,
I'm so happy for you. My parents and university gave me that ultimatum and I am so grateful that I chose treatment. Stay strong. You are doing the right thing.