Notices

And so it goes.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And so it goes.

I can't remember when exactly I became an alcoholic, but I'd guess about 15 years ago.

A dui (thank heavens it did not involve an accident) shortly thereafter, and I told myself that I was just a binge drinker, not an alcoholic...not one of "those" people.

Spent the years in various stages of drinking and not drinking, but ultimately always drunk when I did drink.

But still not one of "those" people, I told myself.

The years faded on by, still in various stages of drinking and not drinking and telling myself that I wasn't an alcoholic.

More years gone by. More of the same drinking and not drinking and more of the denial and the lies.

"Oh, but I'll stop drinking for 4 months and then I can just have a little..."

Over and over, still not claiming that I was an alcoholic...not one of "those" people.

I had a small realization of what I was a few months ago, and claimed that I would never drink to get drunk again!

Lead balloons, and all that.

In 15 years, I never once fessed up to the fact that I was an alcoholic, that I was just a binger and everything was fine.

Last Monday, I awoke with a shadow of a hangover, thanks to a very large meal the night before, without the large meal the hangover would have been much much worse.

I also awoke to the fact that I was an alcoholic and I had a serious problem with alcohol, and I was finally able to confront my lies and denial and the promises that I will quit for a while, then I can have just a little.

I never had a firm conviction of not drinking, just those pointless little promises to myself.

Monday, I awoke with that conviction. I can't say right now if I will be successful, but I can say with complete certainty that I now have the conviction to stop.

No denial of what I am. No lies that I am ok. No little promises that if I be a good boy for a while I can have a treat.

And with all that, I feel better as a human being than I have in a long, long time.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi better - and welcome!

Thanks for your post - and your honesty.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ditto, better - welcome ! This is a great place to hang out and talk - lots of really great people and excellent support

hope to see you round
peace
D
Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes!

I'll be around, this place looks like it's going to be very good.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Better, lot of good folks here. So what are you doing to stop drinking?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hiyas Better!

Welcome to SR!!!! So how are things going? Keep us posted!

~HUGS!~ Liss
Old 04-13-2007, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Welcome to SR Better, lot of good folks here. So what are you doing to stop drinking?
Well, so far the plan is just not to drink! It's only been since last Sunday night, but so far all is peachy. No pangs or wants yet, but I am certain that will change. I've just had water in place of my usual, and it's okay.

The problem is SLEEP! I haven't had a regular sleep schedule in days...no "Nytol" if you know what I mean.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
Hiyas Better!

Welcome to SR!!!! So how are things going? Keep us posted!

~HUGS!~ Liss
Fine so far. I've been able to not drink for months on end, so I suspect the pangs will be coming around the corner in a month or two.

Also next January-March is something that I'm not looking forward to, as the long dark winter nights can be hard to deal with. I'll work out a plan before then.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The sleep was not an issue for me, why I do not know, but a lot of folks have that problem, but from what I have heard it gets better with time.

I am an alcoholic and have found that drinking is but a symptom of my disease.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Better,

I wasn't "one of those" either. I was a functioning drunk.... lol...

Glad you found us you'll find a lot of support and answer here!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just need a rubber hammer to put me to sleep. I've got a lot of work to do today and can't do it groggy!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, better. take it easy, and one day at a time. blessings, k
Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

They all ways told me you want die from lack of sleep...But I know for me I can and do go for days--weeks with out drinking..But in a moments I will be drunk..And after 30 years I've gone from a daily drinker to a binge drinker..So BEWARE...The whiskeyMAN is there.....Glad you are here.......GOOD LUCK
Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Better,

Glad your standing strong!!! I went through the insomnia.....it was aweful, I did make some changes that helped though, dunno if they would work for you, but they (along with time) helped me.

I cut any type of food or caffine in the evening, took hot baths, read, and mainly got myself into a routine, tried to go to bed around the same time and get up at the same time no matter what, didnt get too much sleep, forced myself NOT to doze off in front of the TV in the evening, that sorda thing.

I cannot imagine going for several months of the long dark nites, Heck, I get major depressed by the end of winter here. How do you do that? LOL

Anyhoo, Keep on Keepin on!
~HUGS!~
Liss
Old 04-13-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Better -

You have made agreat decision to stop drinking! The sleep will come in time . . Stay strong!!

TinLizzy
Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Better,

yeah...dunno about the sleeping thing either (he says having been up a couple hours already at 1/4 to 6!!)...Liss had some great suggestions though...might try them myself...!!

peace
D