Notices

Parents of young addicts

Old 04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
out to sea

Post Parents of young addicts

I came across this site recently and have read some good information.
I thought it would be helpful to hear others stories of coping... as a parent of an addict.
Any parents out there dealing with the life of a young addict?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome out to sea! Just wanted to say "Hello" - I'm a mom of an addict but she is a mature adult - pain is the same - not what you want for your child or yourself. So sorry you have to go through this but in SR we can support each other no matter what.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
out to sea

Thanks for your hello and words of encouragement. This is VERY new too me. Just found out about my daughters addiction. She has experimented, but found she has gone to a whole new "playing field". really scary for me...
Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Out to Sea, My daughter is my only child and my addict. She is 20. Come over to the Friends and Families of Substance Abusers. Lots of good people there that will share their hope and experience with you. You don't have to deal with this alone. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, out to sea. i have a 22 year old daughter who has been in treatment for alcohol/cocaine addiction since last september. she has her ups and downs. i go to alanon and private counseling, both really help me. posting here is great, too. it is scary, so educate yourself. and stay strong. blessings, k
Old 04-13-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello,

I have two son's that are alcoholics...It is very painful to know this because in some way I feel responsible as I am a recovering alcoholic.

I pray that they have seen my struggle and one day say "This is not for me".
Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
out to sea

Out to Sea, My daughter is my only child and my addict. She is 20. Come over to the Friends and Families of Substance Abusers. Lots of good people there that will share their hope and experience with you. You don't have to deal with this alone. Hugs, Marle

Thanks for the kind words and responses.
My daughter is only 18 yrs. and I found out about her heroin habit when she needed to be hospitalized for cellulitis. Turns out she had an abscess which required surgery and an 8 day stay in hospital. She refused to go to inpatient rehab. Wants to finish the last couple months of high school. She was headed for college too and since her hospital stay, she told me she was really only trying to make me happy. She is an incredibly bright girl. Really has everything going for her. But then she let drugs into her life...
At least she is attending NA meetings several times a week. This has really changed our family dynamics. I can not trust her at all anymore.
so sad...