Notices

Lortab help

Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lortab help

Hi everyone. I am a female, 33, and addicted to Lortab (Hydrocodone). I've been taking it for about 5 years now for chronic back pain. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and myafascial (sp?) pain. I have been to chiropractors, rheumatologists, physical therapy, and even had a breast reduction, but the pain still persists. I have been told by several doctors that I will always have to take pain medication and/or go through pain management. Anyway, I have been taking the medication as prescribed up until like a year ago, when I began taking more and more. I now cannot function without taking it and actually sometimes suffer withdrawals when I wake up in the morning.

I have done a lot of research on-line to see what I should do for help and finally broke down and called a doctor that prescribes Buprenorphine. She said she would see me, but only after I get down to taking 6 to 8 pills a day. Well, if I could do that, I would not have a problem. She gave me some numbers to call to get into a detox program, but I called these numbers and I was given more numbers to call and I just felt like I was going in circles with no answers and no help. The problem is that I am a professional and work for a company that cannot find out about this. Also, I cannot take off from work for this. I want to do an out-patient program if possible. Also, I cannot afford to pay a lot - mainly because I am broke from spending all my money on this medication every month. It's killing me - physically, financially, emotionally, etc. I really need help, but without the risk of losing my job.

Can anyone give me advice on what I should do?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Angexa,

Welcome and I'm glad you found us!

The advice I would give you is very simple. Do whatever you need to do to stop taking the drugs, whatever it takes. And, sometimes it involves making very hard decisions and choices.

If you have insurance, it's possible that it would pay for out-patient treatment. Have you talked to your family dr? That might be a good place to start and perhaps get some more information on out-patient treatment. And, keep calling the numbers you've been given, and don't give up.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. I haven't talked to my family doctor about it. I hate to admit it, but I guess I'm scared of quitting completely. I am worried that I will still be in pain and will need to continue taking it, that if I can lower my dosage to the prescribed amount, that all will be good. I know that's easier said than done. I just know that if I tell my doctor, he will no longer prescribe me that medication.
Why are you on here? Have you had problems with addiction?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, I have a problem with addiction. For about 3 years I was lost to alcohol and I've been sober for about 6 1/2 years now. Addiction is addiction and I know exactly how you feel. I can't describe the feeling of fear I felt when I knew that I wouldn't be able to drink again. So, I tried to moderate. Countless times, I went down that road and managed for a bit and then lost it again. The thing is, it was a relief at the end to let go. Finally my mind no longer had to obsess on when, how and where I would next drink. My mind was free to move on.

It's possible that your dr will understand and will be able to prescribe something that is non-addictive. I have fibromyalgia as well, and it was after several years of constant pain that I began drinking to be able to get some rest, some sleep. But, I manage well now. Please know that you are not alone.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

angexa---your life on lortab mirror images mine, back pain breast reduction, physical therapy etc.....when i could no longer get lortab from a dr. i started buying them from drug dealers, and ended up arrested, in jail for 3 days had my car inpounded for 6 months. i like you am also a professional and i am currently keeping all this hush hush at my job, i have been put on probation for 5 years and community service, random drug testing---i detoxed off of them in jail that was a nightmare, i was very sick. i also took them for 5 years. so it took about 3 weeks for me to finish detoxing..if you want to talk you can pm anytime--i will tell you my whole story if you want to hear ir their is alot more!!!
i am also 33 years old
jackie
Old 04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there are a lot of us recovering from lortab addiction, and some who still take it for chronic pain, but have someone hold it, or have found other ways to take it as prescribed. i said all the same things...can't go to treatment, can't miss work....but similar to what anna said, what it came down to was what i was willing to do to get better. i couldn't afford to go to treatment, i would have if i could have. i did it at home, with my kids, with the help of a doctor and SR. i tried to work, but did have to take a few days off. i made it, and am stronger for it. you will be, too.
when you get time, go post on the substance abuse forum...like i said, there are a lot of people who have chronic pain and deal with their addiction.
just out of curiosity, how many milligrams are you taking daily?
good luck to ya
misti
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

I sure can relate to you.

I'm a paramedic...almost 3 years ago, I had a serious lift injury (one that has ended my career). I tore through 2 layers of back muscle (rhomboids and trapezius on the right side), multiple bulging discs, partial dislocation to my right shoulder, tore my rotator cuff (again). I was initially prescribed vicodin (for 3 weeks) and then placed on percocet. A few months later, underwent my 3rd shoulder surgery. Continued on percocet. I was on percocet for about 4 1/2 months when I really noticed I was abusing it. I found myself enjoying the "high" I got. I justified it by also being afraid of my pain. The time came when I was popping way too many percocets a day. I fessed up to my doctor. I decided to cold turkey detox off it. I was sick for a bit over a week. Mostly flu-like. The pain was near unbearable....I went from taking way too many percocets....to nothing.

After 1 1/2 weeks, I called my doctor back, told him what was going on, what I had done...we went over different pain management options. I have decided on my own, that I can not take percocet again. I really wish I could; but I'm too afraid to ever try those again, that I will again abuse them and find myself in the absolute hell I was in.

My doctor did find a good regiment for me: neurontin 1800 mg, ultram 300 mg, and baclofen 20 mg, along with tylenol ES (as needed). It took quite a while to get where I was able to deal with the pain. Believe me, I haven't been "as pain free" as I was on percocet; but it sure as heck is a lot better than nothing. I have learned to live with it and learned how to make the most of it. I've learned that changing my perspective on it has really helped a lot. I read a book about back pain. It said that most people are so afraid of their pain returning, that they actually put themselves into more pain, anticipating back pain.

I'm 33 years old, not able to do near the things I use to do...but thanks to AA (recovering alcoholic x 16 years), my chiropractor, my doctor, my family and friends...I'm pretty happy and content today. I've even been able to find some good out of all of it!!!

Getting off pain meds IS scary. There really is no need to suffer, like I did. I think I chose to do it the way I did it because I felt I needed punished for what I did. Make sure you have lots of support with you and don't be afraid of talking with your doctors/chiropractor about your concerns and fears. I did and they were all really helpful.

I even fessed up to my physical therapist (was in PT at the time). He did everything he could to help me as well. People are willing to help, if you allow them the opportunity. Being honest with them is a huge step...one you won't regret. As long as you are honest with them, they will do everything they can to help you and make the transition as painless as possible.

Good luck and if you'd like to talk further, please feel free to PM me.

Blessings and prayers,
Jen
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much, for your kind words and advice. I need all the help and support and prayers that I can get at this point. I guess I was in denial for quite awhile, but still thinking in the back of my mind that I had a problem and that I could NOT go on like this much longer. I am a Christian, but have not been to church in over a year. I occasionally watch programs on TV on Sunday mornings, and two weeks ago, I happened to be watching a program, In Touch, with Charles Stanley, about Drifting away from the Lord, and I felt that he was speaking directly to me. Actually I felt God speaking to me. And that's when I broke down and just cried and cried and prayed asking for Him to help me. I know that I can do this with God's help, but I also need the support of friends and family. At this point, I cannot share this with my mom - she's already going through a lot of physical problems right now and I know this would break her heart. Plus, she lives in another state. I don't have any family here were I live, but I do have a couple close friends that know my situation and are willing to do whatever they can to help me out. OK, I know I'm going on and on... sorry.
I just want to thank you all, who have responded. I was hoping I could get some support from this website and it looks like I am, so thank you all so much.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I'm trying to send a PM to some of you, but when I do, the following message pops up:

Sorry, minimum 5 message and minimum 1 days membership is required to use PM.

What does this mean? What am I supposed to do to be able to send PM's?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

jackie, it looks like you are the only one online now. can you send me your email or tell me how we can PM, since i'm having trouble with it. i just joined, so maybe i'm supposed to wait 24 hours b4 i can use PM?? i don't know. anyway, just trying to find someone to talk to about this...
Old 04-06-2007, 03:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Well, that's gotta be frustrating and irritating. Should work now though!!!

Most of us (prior to recovering from whatever our addiction(s) are/were, had to have some type of spiritual experience. God speaks through many mediums...tv, radio, family, friends, even strangers. When you are ready to hear the message, you know it is for you...sounds like you are ready. We're all here to help you out!!

Blessings,
Jen
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

another tip, ang...most of us...if we have our messenger sign up below our names, it means we will talk to you if you im us. just click on the little ***** sign and see if someone wants to chat with you. i work from my computer, so you can im me if you need anything
Old 04-06-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Angexa,

There is a minimum number of posts required before you can send PM's. The purpose of that is to protect our members.

I think the minimum number of posts is 5, so you should be able to send PM's now.

Let me know if you have any more problems.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i can do it now. i can send PM's. sorry i have been unavailable all day. i've been going through withdrawals and sleeping all day. i still have some pills left, but i'm trying to cut down big time and the only way i know how to deal with that is sleeping it off so i just slept all day. it def. helped me to take less. lol. well, maybe i can talk with some of you tomorrow.
thanx again everyone, for writing.
angela
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh, by the way, someone asked me earlier how many milligrams of lortab i am taking. well, it ranges anywhere from like 15 to 25 a day. today i've only taken 12 so far, but will probably end up at a clinic tomorrow for some more.

i have decided to go to this rehab here where i live, but they told me they need to keep me for at least 5 days. since i missed two days of work this week, i can't miss anymore right now without my work finding out about this. my boss even told me that he needs to see me first thing monday morning. so i'm planning on saving up some vacation days and scheduling time off from work so i can go through a quick detox at this local rehab. the thing is, i have every other friday off, so if i do it on one of those weekends, then i will only need to take off 2 days. so... it may be a month or so b4 i can get help. i can't quit cold turkey cause i would not be able to go to work from the withdrawals and being sick. damn, this sux... big time!! i hate it. i'm trying to cut down, but it's soooo difficult.

anyone have any suggestions while i wait to get help??
Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

do you have someone to hold your meds and help you taper down?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hey misti,
no, unfortunately, i don't have anyone to do that. i live alone. i have def. tapered off somewhat on my own, though. since i have cut down, i have been having major withdrawal symptoms - diarrhea, nausea, tired, unable to get up and do anything, etc. u know the drill... so, the fact that i've cut down when i still have like 15 pills left is good, right?

any other suggestions... anyone?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would suggest talking to your dr.

He can give you advice about your taper and help you get through it.

And, don't go searching for more pills.

You can get through this!
Old 04-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Anna, thanx and i agree with u, but it's the weekend and my doc is not going to be able to help me without seeing me first.

i know i shouldn't get more pills, but even the rehab doctor that i called said that i shouldn't quit cold turkey and that i should slowly taper off, otherwise i will get sick, and then i won't be able to go to work again on monday.

so here's the latest. i went to this clinic and the doc gave me 50 norco's so i'm going to try to make it through the week with these. i promise i will make it last and take less every day.

i'll keep you all posted on how things are going...
Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say Happy Easter everyone!!