Notices

I'm quitting today!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time

I'm quitting today!

I've been a strong drinker for 8 years now. It ruined my first marriage, ruined a lot of friendships and I'm finally tired of it. I'm tired of starting my day by vomiting and ending it by passing out. I'm missing so much of life I can't take it anymore. I want to live again. I want to get this out of my system.

My question is how long does it take for the physical effects to go away (ie me to start feeling good). Also, Does anyone have advice on how I can be successful at this? I've never tried to quit before as I didn't think I had a problem. Well, now I believe I do and it's time to change!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Volly,

Welcome to SR, and congratulations on making this important decision.

I really don't like to give medical-type advice about quitting - it can be quite dangerous depending on your health and how much you drank. I recommend you visit your doctor.

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Checking with your dr when quitting drinking, is always a good idea.

There are many recovery options and I hope you will also find lots of support and information here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hello volly, and welcome. my daughter is in first year of recovery from alcohol and cocaine addiction. aa/na meetings really help her. blessings, and keep posting! k
Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking welcome

hi volly gr8t choice to give up drinking i am new here also hope it works out for you it is a struggle but i will not lie its hard and i feel like hammered shi*
this site is helping me so mutch keep posting on progress good and bad its a good way to get things off your chest and receive support from these super people
Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi volly..Glad you are here. Agreed with checking with a Dr. Just stopping could affect your health. Stopping anyhting takes time and comes with ups and downs. but we are here for support and to lend a shoulder. Glad to hear your decision to live a better life.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
welcome23.gif (6.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time

What type of risks are we talking about? I'd label myself as a Functioning Alcoholic. I don't geleraaly drink during the day, but when I get home and sit down, I'll drink till I fall asleep. Wake up and do it again. I usually start pounding shots around 7 and stop around 10, but in the time frame, I'll go through halp a bottle of rum. . .

This does feel good to talk about. I've always kept it bottled up and hidden. I'm sure everyone know, but I didn't pay that much attention.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey volley, there is a "Alcoholics" forum on this site, and on the top are stickies that talk about the disease. Take a look at "What to expect". It might prove helpful. K (Yes, agreed - talking about it does feel good, so glad you're reaping that reward already!)
Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Here is a link with some of our experiences on qitting

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

It is always wise to see your doctor before stopping
abruptly...expecially as this is your first try
and there are many varibles in alcohol withdrawal.
Be safe.

Glad upi are here with us...
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Volly..I have said this so many times on this board. I use to try and justify that term for years. Please know there is no such thing as a functioning addict of any kind. Either you are or you aren't .Especially if you think you need help. Thinking that will only interfere with recovery. It did me. Has nothing to do with whether you make it work or whatever. If you are not functioning physicaly..mentally emotionally. Making it to work and paying your bills have zip to do with functioning. Thats just my opinion.

Last edited by Aysha; 04-03-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Volley,

Welcome to SR...Lots of great info given here so I won't add anything but keep posting..

We are glad you are here..
Old 04-04-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time

I did it! I made it through the night, no drinking. I feel 10000Xs better in one day. This is great!!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by volly5390 View Post
I did it! I made it through the night, no drinking. I feel 10000Xs better in one day. This is great!!
Welcome to SR Volly and we are so glad that you are here! Yes that is all any of us get is a daily reprieve from this disease. I am so glad that you have made the decision that you have had enough and are willing to make the right steps toward a new life.

This deal isn't going to be easy but I am here to let you know that this deal is doable. I haven't had to take a drug (alcohol is a drug) since May 25, 2006 and for that I am eternally grateful. Have you ever thought about trying out AA/NA? There you will find many of us that have the same thing to deal with and also you will make new friends that don't use no matter what. Hope that you enjoy your journey and remember we are all here to help each other. Glad to see you

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm Batman

Hello volly....all I can say is it may take a few weeks, but believe me when I say it gets so much better the longer you are sober. You will soon be proud of your sober time and it will make it alot better....good luck my friend.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hiya Volly!!
Just hang in there and follow your doctors instructions. You will be feeling pretty darn good in about 4 to 7 days. I'm 55 days sober today, and I feel really good. I go to AA which has done wonders for me. I highly suggest it. There's no shame in going there, and I bet you will love it. This board TOTALLY rocks, so definitely keep coming back.
Eat good, drink tons of water, and take walks if you can. hugs!