Notices

One step forward; two back . . .

Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One step forward; two back . . .

Well
I hadn't had a drink for about three weeks--can't say I wa doing particularily good--suffering depression and fatique. finally, I got the bright idea that if I had a couple of drinks, it could pull me out of my depression and I could start over. Well, three days later, I.m still looking for my next drink . . . what now?My doctor does have me on antabuse and and anti-depresents. It seems that drinking is the bigger challenge than not drinking. I do want to quit and don't know whee to go from here . . .
Diane
Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Diane. Welcome..Glad you are here.

Drinking to kill depression is just going to keep you in that endless cycle. You will be just chasing your tail. If you know what I mean.

I am not familiar with the alcohol addiction or depression.
But stick around. There are plenty here that do and there is so much support here.
Hope you feel better.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Diane,

If the depression you are feeling is caused by drinking, then being sober for awhile should help it to clear. If you were depressed before you began drinking, as I was, then the medication you are taking could help you.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Diane,

Thanks for posting, welcome to Sober Recovery. I've got a long history of depression which I too used alcohol to deaden. As others mentioned, alcohol simply perpetuates the illness, but I understand why you still might take that drink anyway. For me, it was to 'numb out' for a while, even if I felt horrible when I sobered up.
And it's no picnic to try and stay sober while fighting the demon of depression. How did you stop drinking? Do you go to AA? It can be awfully lonely trying to do it on your own, speaking from experience.
I met a lot of people just like me in the rooms of AA; a lot of people with mood disorders just trying to feel normal.
I really think you should give your meds a chance to work without the alcohol. And I urge you to reach out for help. Coming here is an excellent beginning.
Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing (and feel free to PM ((private message)) me anytime). Hang in there.

Rowan
Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seazr View Post
Well
I hadn't had a drink for about three weeks--can't say I wa doing particularily good--suffering depression and fatique. finally, I got the bright idea that if I had a couple of drinks, it could pull me out of my depression and I could start over. Well, three days later, I.m still looking for my next drink . . . what now?My doctor does have me on antabuse and and anti-depresents. It seems that drinking is the bigger challenge than not drinking. I do want to quit and don't know whee to go from here . . .
Diane
Hi Diane,

How long have you been on the medication? If you haven't been on a antidepressant for more than two to three weeks, (some it takes up to six weeks for the full effect), it won't help your depression. If you drink and take the medication you are counter acting the effect of your medication.

Keep posting here we are here for you.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Diane,

How are you doing today? Let us hear from you...

Thinking of you.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Diane, welcome to SR.....you've been given some great advice here.

Oh am I familiar with the one step ahead two back, it sorta becomes a dance over the years..and not a fun one is it?

I suffer from depression also, and my drinking was keeping me nailed down because of it. I started anti depressants...at first I had to fight the urge to drink.....not today, plus the depression has lifted....sober 270 days today, you can have it to.

Come talk to us and let us know how you're doing.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery..YOU CAN DO IT

Hugs......Denise
Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers to you, diane. keep posting and have hope. blessings, k
Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drinking to pull you out of depression and then you could start over?????? Isnt it amazing what we can make ourselves believe when, really,...we just really want to drink? Justifications.