Notices

Alcoholic addicted to adderall needs help

Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic addicted to adderall needs help

This is my first post on any sort of site like this. I am 22 and currently attending school. I am going to lay it on the line and cut to the point. I have been taking large doses of adderall for going on about 3 years now. I can take between 200 and 300 milligrams in a 24 to 36 hour timeperiod. This is followed by a day off, and then another binge of drugs. I smoke a lot of pot as well, along with drinking whiskey on a regular basis. I am also afraid that something may be wrong with my heart. The past 6 months my heart will randomly speed up to above 220 beats per minute after I have literally done as little as laugh. I am afraid I am ruining my life, and possibly shortening it every day. My friends have no idea about this addiction problem, and I dont feel I can tell them, yet. I just wants some advice on where to start in this recovery process. Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up welcome

hi mate im new here too just finding my way around aswell i have a drink issue you are still young mate some people will drop by soon who can give you better advice but your not on your own now were all in this together
Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I appreciate the support, I guess some how some way we will get through all this ****. Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,

Think about seeing a doctor...Your heart rate is dangerously high without exertion..

By the way, adderal is a stimulant...This could be the reason why your heart is racing..

Keep posting here, and you will be ok..Just don't use...

Thinking of you...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, bond man. i'm a mom of 22 year old daughter, in early recovery from alcohol and cocaine abuse. she found help from her health/counseling center on her college campus. and from medical docs. and from her family. some of her friends were/are supportive and others just don't get her new way of thinking. it's ok though, many supportive folks at aa/na meetings - a lot in your age group.

welcome, and i agree with missymae that a good, honest doctor's appt is a great start.

keep posting! k
Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Bond Man -

Missymae got it right - Go see a doctor. They will help you come up with a plan. Stick around. There is lots of great reading/discussion. And, posting is cathartic!

TinLizzy
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you don't/wont see a Dr., go to and AA/NA meeting. Just go.

And yes you are ruining your body, and 220bpm, is way way to high. Even if you are exerting yourself.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Exclamation Get a chemical dependency assessment

Hello, Bond Man:

Get a chemical dependency assessment. Then you know exactly where you are in terms of your addiction. You will also be advised what you need to do to get better.

Remember the old addage, much older than you are: "speed kills". They were not talking about cars when they coined that phrase, pal.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by The Bond Man View Post
This is my first post on any sort of site like this. I am 22 and currently attending school. I am going to lay it on the line and cut to the point. I have been taking large doses of adderall for going on about 3 years now. I can take between 200 and 300 milligrams in a 24 to 36 hour timeperiod. This is followed by a day off, and then another binge of drugs. I smoke a lot of pot as well, along with drinking whiskey on a regular basis. I am also afraid that something may be wrong with my heart. The past 6 months my heart will randomly speed up to above 220 beats per minute after I have literally done as little as laugh. I am afraid I am ruining my life, and possibly shortening it every day. My friends have no idea about this addiction problem, and I dont feel I can tell them, yet. I just wants some advice on where to start in this recovery process. Thanks

Okay,...first of all,....Im going to "lay it on the line" as well. Who cares about your friends? Tell your parents. Tell your school counselor or professors. Tell an adult-acting adult that is in a position to help you. Your friends are in no position to help you anyways. Im guessing they probably do the same drugs and alcohol to a degree anyways?? So they are out. Bottom line.....yes....you are ruining your life and yes,.....shortening it everyday. If your friends use too, they probably already know you DO have a problem and believe me,....misery loves company so they will never point out that you have a problem. If they DONT use,....then they absolutely already know that you have a problem. You cannot hide the degree of use you describe. Even if nobody sees you physically use, you cannot hide what you have been doing to your body. It shows in your behavior, your skin, your stamina, and other places. If you were to tell any of them of your use, I guarantee many of them would say something like "Yeah,...I knew you were doing SOMETHING,.....I could tell"

The biggest point here is that you are only 22 yrs old. You have a great opportunity here to catch this early and live a great, healthy life. Take it. Drugs and alcohol addiction make you a loser in the eyes of society. How can we ever see ourselves in a positive light when the world sees us that way?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hell...Mind Over Matter

I tried my hardest, but I dont see myself getting better. Right now I have a loaded handgun, a bottle of whiskey, and a ****** up head. I just cant accomplish anything good. I tried, but every day something happened, like a friend stopping by to give me some pills for no reason other than being nice. How an addict going to stop when that happens, daily? Today I was looking for some floss, and came accross a bottle with 3 HYDROS prolly 3 years old. How god gonna play me like that?? I finally tell people and try, and out of nowhere 3 HYDROS, a drug I dont really care for or ever really take, but being in the state I am, i popped them all at once without thinking. I am screwed... I appreciate the positive support, but I dont know if I'll be here much longer. If its this tough to live on earth, and I feel like i've been in hell for so long, what do I lose matter if I am gone? I am already in hell, may as well go somewhere else.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am sorry
Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't throw yourself away, just get cleaned up. If your "friends" are true friends tell them you quitting drugs and they will stop bringing the pills around. If they stop coming around and being your friend because you decided to sober up, they aren't true friends anyway, get some new friends.

In the meantime, when you feel good and motivated, go around the house and throw all the pills away. If you don't feel upto this maybe one ofyour friends will take them off your hands?

I have an idea, go to an AA/NA meeting and come back here and post to tell us what you thought of it, OK?