Notices

17 days sober but then...

Old 03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 17 days sober but then...

Hi everyone

I haven't posted here in awhile but here I am once again . I went 17-18 days sober and was feeling pretty good but them I came down with prostatitis which is a miserable condition that takes months to get rid of and the treatment options are few and far between (and have TONS of side effects). I get prostatitis about once a year and was given 500mg of Cipro to take twice daily for a month.

About a week into taking the Cipro, the side effects (terrible aches and pains in my joints, muscles, bones, etc) were just too much to bare and since there is no known interaction between alcohol and Cipro, I decided to have a few gin and sodas to put myself out of the misery I was in.

BIG MISTAKE!.

Now, I'm back to drinking again every other day and last night I got as drunk as a skunk on Gin and soda and this morning, the hangover was soooo bad that I thought I was having a heart attack or pulmonary embolism. I got really dizzy, short of breath and my pulse went up to 105 beats per minute. My BP was 175/95 too. I quickly took an Atenolol and an aspirin and after awhile, my BP and pulse were back to normal again but I still wasn't feeling all that good. I have been told by nurses that lots of people end up in the ER with these same symptoms after a night of hard drinking so I guess this is normal?.

Anyway, my bones/muscles/joints still ache, my stomach burns like crazy from the alcohol and Cipro and I have had diarrhea for about a week. I'm a wreck right now but I definately plan to begin taking the Naltrexone and detoxing again because these hangovers are the WORST!!.

Well, thanks for listening and wish me luck. I could sure use a friend or two right now!.

- Regards, NFIS
Old 03-24-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NFIS,

You always have friends here. Sorry about your condition and your hangover. But the nice thing is that we can always start over, if we survive.

If you keep trying, failure is not a forgone conclusion.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi nofuninsuds, sorry to hear this. Please get yourself to a doctor/ER. This doesn't sound good and much better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey No Fun -

I had 13-14 days and then spent the past 4-5 weeks drinking hard. I am starting over on day 1 today. Feeling good and very positive. Posting and reading SR helps alot.

We can do it!!

TinLizzy
Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi No Fun in Suds! I love that name.

Thanks for this post. It helps me to remember the pain I was in.

No matter how bad it gets, I hope I can remember your experience and keep in mind that a drink will make it worse not better.

All is not lost. You can still do this. I wish you all the very best of luck and I think you coming here is a great sign that you will be OK again soon.

It sounds like a trip to your MD might be a good idea with all that medication and dizziness.

We are your friends.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
I suggest you return to your doctor
and discuss what options you have
to Cipro.

JMO

Welcome back to SR!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Today is a new day. Burn the way that hang over felt into your memory, log it, write it, own it ... and then next time that weakness comes in, read it.

Has kept me sober, not always sane but sober, to remember the bad ol' times just as much (if not more) then the good.