Notices

insomnia being sober?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sicker than others

Lightbulb insomnia being sober?

hi ya'll working on day 4 heare and I CANTTTTTTT sleep..ahhh How long does this last for you ?
PS: how do you get smileys on page??
xoxoxo
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Here is a link to the smiles you will need to copy and paste the things on the left side of the page OK you are allowed three on each post
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...do=showsmilies
or if you hit reply on the bottom left you can drag and drop by clicking and holding the left on the mouse pad....

As far as the insomnia sometimes still it is hard for me to get a good nights rest but it is all good. I think sometimes it takes a while to straighten out completely if at all....Good to see ya here..

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Many people experience insomnia and it might take a few weeks or longer for things to work out in your body and for normal sleep to come again.

For smilies, go to this page and you need to type in the letters and numbers for each smilie you want to use:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...do=showsmilies
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

good for you anew!!!

it took me a while - I remember - up for four, down for two .. back up again ... the brain and body chems have to get balanced out... luckily, I'd mastered the 'art of nap' years ago, so that helped.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sicker than others

Thanks guys..it like 440 am here. need some zzzzz but at least I am sober another day.......
Old 03-23-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

anew, just stay cean, and you will get a good nights rest soon... what smily's...

what work'd for me was having a full, producive day of life & recovery... when nights came... out'n'z...

good wishes anew... keep bust'n... lol

xxoo, rz
Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm just the opposite. I can't sleep when i drink. After a couple of days sober, I sleep so hard, I can barely wake up. Give it a couple more days.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I still have problems. 5 months sober today.

I drink a lot of coffee though, especially at meetings, at night. I'm sure that doesn't help.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had really bad insomnia for a couple of weeks, I didn't sleep at all for the first 5 days and nearly went insane. It is hard but so worth it! Keep strong!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sleeping is the hardest thing to get back to normal. But it does come. My sponser gave me some relax CD's to play while lay in bed. She says picture yourself floating. That helped me to turn off my brain.

Hope this helps.... Congrats...... Keep coming back....
Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I had real bad insominia for the first 3 months or so. All the AAers would say, including my sponsor was "nobody dies from lack of sleep.....sleep will come eventually" roflmao.

I did find out medically that part of it was learning new sleeping patterns, see all those years I drank, I didn't sleep at night, I PASSED OUT. There was no REM cycles for many years. It took time for my body to adjust and as Barb said for the brain and body chems to straighten out and realign so to speak.

An OTC product like melatonin might help, didn't really have that when I got sober, but used to use camomille tea. Some grocery stores have "Sleepy Time" tea. It did help.

Hang in there Anew it does get better, and better, and better.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care!

Love and hugs,
Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had a few bad days the first week as far as sleep goes... I would get to sleep normally... but within an hour wake up... and not be able to get back to sleep... and then stare at the clock until the early morning...

I think what you are experiencing is not unusual...

I don't try to sleep until I am sleepy... had insomnia problems in my late teens... and in college...

Basically when I start to get tired... I dim the lights... lay down in bed and read until my eyes get droopy... then I put the book down... turn off the light and go to sleep... works pretty good... unless I wake up in the 1st hour...

I found out that tired and sleepy are 2 different things... I go to bed when I am tired but I only fall asleep when I am sleepy.. and readying in bed ...gets me from tired to sleepy...

GL
Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know what you mean Debaucher, it helps me to 'go for a lie down' I will listen to audiobooks or just lie there and try to meditate or at least relax. That way I am not lieing there trying to 'get to sleep', the tiredness can turn into sleepines without me waiting for it to happen which can be frustrating.
Also if I have a lie down in the day cos I have a headache or whatever I fall asleep easily, I think it is because I am not 'trying' to sleep.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sicker than others

thanks everyone... I fianlly got some sleep. 4 days today and I have a sober plan for tonight. meeting up with a sober friend and hittitng a meeting.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

sounds like a good plan to me........congrats on your 4 days.....the first few days are so hard......and it's great you slept well.....recovery is so much easier if you are rested......fatigue on top of withdrawals can just make it all the harder.......it took me a long time to start sleeping right again....but then i've always had insomnia......

good for you, you're doing great!