Notices

New here

Old 03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi
I been drinking heavier and heavier for the past 20 years. For the past several months, I have been continuously sick--flu, cold, you name it. My Dr ran a blood test and said my immune system was shutting down. My liver count was up, my cholestorol was way up and my trglicirorides were off the chart to mention a few. He told me to quit drinking and put me on a series of vitamins (B1) and fish oil. He also prescribed antabuse and some anti-anxiety for tremors. Well after a couple of false starts, I have not had a drink for 4 days. Fortunately, I did not have any physical withdrawls but I do have the emotional. I'm depressed and all I want to do is sleep. Today, my Dr prescribed antidepressants. And experience on how long it take until one starts feeling better after quitting drinking? Help!
Diane
Old 03-13-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi seazr . Good for you for going to your doctor. It sounds as if you'll be feeling better sooner rather than later because of that hopefully... everyone is different though so it's hard to really predict. You say you've been put on ad's and aren't having physical withdrawal sypmtoms ? Just hang in there and follow your doctor's orders. Let us know how you're doing. It will get better... you'll see. 4 days is a great beginning.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Seazr,
Congrats on your four days!!! I'm glad to hear you are taking positve steps toward living a healthier life. This is a great site to find information on addiction, and share personal experiences. Everybody recovers at their own pace and may have different withdrawal symptoms. For me, physical symptoms completely dissapeared after two weeks, while emotional and psychological symptoms have taken longer. Now, at nearly three months sober, I don't really notice any anxiety or depression (they were rampant during my first 2 weeks without drinking). Well, I did have some anxiety during mid-term exams, but that's nothing out of the ordinary. I'm happier now than I can honestly recall being in the past five years. Again, that's just my experience. I'm sure others will give you their take. Keep in touch with your docs, they know what's best. Best of luck to you. Life is too precious to be wasted on alcohol and other drugs.

Best Wishes,
Caladan

P.S.- there is a thread called What To Expect When Quitting, detailing what others went through when they quit. I think you will find it enlightening. (I'd provide the link but i'm not very computer savvy.)
Old 03-13-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lurker

welcome seazr, there are alot of good people here,a nd a lot of support. The first parts of recovery are hard, and in about 2 weeks you should start to feel a lot better. The emotional part is different. It takes a while to start sorting through all the emotions we have been masking with the alcohol. Have you considered going to any AA meetings. I will tell you that they really have helped me. Just to be around others with the same disease helps. Good luck, and will chat soon. I hope.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Seazr,
Congrats on your four days!!! I'm glad to hear you are taking positve steps toward living a healthier life. This is a great site to find information on addiction, and share personal experiences. Everybody recovers at their own pace and may have different withdrawal symptoms. For me, physical symptoms completely dissapeared after two weeks, while emotional and psychological symptoms have taken longer. Now, at nearly three months sober, I don't really notice any anxiety or depression (they were rampant during my first 2 weeks without drinking). Well, I did have some anxiety during mid-term exams, but that's nothing out of the ordinary. I'm happier now than I can honestly recall being in the past five years. Again, that's just my experience. I'm sure others will give you their take. Keep in touch with your docs, they know what's best. Best of luck to you. Life is too precious to be wasted on alcohol and other drugs.

Best Wishes,
Caladan

P.S.- there is a thread called What To Expect When Quitting, detailing what others went through when they quit. I think you will find it enlightening. (I'd provide the link but i'm not very computer savvy.)

Last edited by caladan; 03-13-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome and congratulations on four days!!!! Once you do start to feel better, you will be surprised how quickly the process is, and sooner than you think, you will feel great!!!

SRH
Old 03-13-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hiya seazr!!!
Way to go on 4 days & welcome to SR. This is a great place to come and hang out. Read up and post a lot on here. It will help so much!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Seazr,

How wonderful it is to hear of your decision to get help. Your doctor will be your best friend if you let him. We will be here to share our thought with you. Let us know how we can help. Keep comin' back.

Your in sobriety,
Ed
Old 03-14-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support!
Diane
Old 03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome, diane, to sr.........and congrats on making it 4 days.....those first days can be the hardest........i sincerely hope your health improves with time......

here are some links that might help....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/

keep posting.....you will find so much support here, it really helps......

hugs
ayla
Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The depression and anxiety lift eventually. I'm 141 days in and rarely suffer from those anymore. Of course, I am a 12 stepper and the majority of this relief came from working the steps.

You just need time to let your body sort things out. It's rough at first, but worth the wait.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ha Ha, charade you are!

Hi Seazr
Welcome-I am a newbie too-22 days! AA has helped immensley for me too. Just talking and laughing with recovering addicts is uplifting for me. Reach out to thers for support. One thing I have learned the hard way-I cannot do this thing alone.
This is a great spot-these guys are nuts! Keep reading and keep posting...keep comin back!
Good Luck..
Melissa
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome seazr - congrats on 4 days! recovery is possible, and it sounds like you are making great strides. be patient. remember - easy does it..

blessings, k
Old 03-15-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

new here and feeling scared please help
Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ha Ha, charade you are!

Welcome
Don't be scared here-this is a safe place. Lots of good people here with good advice and funny stories.
What brought you here?
Melissa
Old 03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi
We'' it's been 10 days now. My question is WHEN DOES THE DEPRESSION STOP? I never has any physical withdrawls but I am always soooo tired. All I want to do is sleep. My husband is getting tired of this and told me I'd better figure it out. My Dr has prescribed LEXAPRO and I'm on day 8 of that medication but I am still soooo tired . . . Help? Advise?
Seazr (Diane)