Notices

Day 1

Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I know there are a ton of places to go, etc. I have been through alanon with my family. But I am not into the christian part of AA and hope there are other groups out there not religiously based.
peterson you have expressed one of the biggest misconceptions about AA, it is NOT religous! It is not Christian, Muslim, Buddist.... or what ever.

AA is about learning how to be spiritual.

Religous people go to Church hoping not to go to hell!
Spiritual people have been through hell and do not want to go back!

Do you beleive there is a Power Greater then your self?

Do you beleive that a group of sober alcoholics who are now sober and happy have more Power then you?

If your answer is yes to either of the above questions then you are well on your way to happy sobriety via AA.

You will hear people here jumping up and down screaming "Oh no, they are lying, it is religous!" Let me simply say this BS!

There are athiest who have found their way to happiness and sobriety in AA, all they did was to find a Power Higher then themselfs!

No one is so vain as to think that nothing in the world or universe is not more powerful then them.

Okay now that I have that out of me!!! LOL

You are so right in realizing that getting and staying sober is something that takes help, there are plenty of recovery programs out there, check them all out.

But do not listen to the Nay Sayers on any of them, I am not going to knock any program that has helped even one alcoholic get and stay sober, all I will say is the only one that worked for this old drunk with a 40 year drinking career not only stop drinking but continue to be happy and becoming a better person every day is AA!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Taz.......You are right on.....((HUGS))
Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all - peterson you got up and ran at 5 am !!! Now thats impressive, id drop dead before i got out the driveway. good on you. I how ever had a bad day today - will be trying again for tomorrow!! Take care all its hard with the time difference alot of you are all going to bed when im getting up!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Peterson,

Welcome to this site. It is a great place to find people who understand what you have been through and give you lots of support to get where you want to be.

I have 22 days now. Your story could be my story except for the boyfriend part who has left and wants to keep drinking.

I totally agree with Taz. Nothing religeous about AA and although I have no idea how - it works! It makes it easier. That does it for me!

If you follow the advice, have a true desire to stop drinking and you are honest with yourself (which you definitely are), the chances of doing this are great! Better than great.. guaranteed.

The spiritual part is something you find after a while when you go through this. At least that is my experience. For me, no human power could stop me drinking if I didn't want to stop. No doctor, no loved one, and certianly not me. The way AA works is mysterious and I think that becomes, for many, a spiritual experience.

You are not alone. Keep posting. It is so great to have you here.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Talking Still going Strong!!!!!!

Thanks for all the words guys. I wasn't knockin AA. It worked for both my dad and my bro. I just wanted something different.

I have now been sober 6 days and I feel great. My Boyfriend even said I look better, my eyes are more brite and can just see a lighter step in my day.

I have been more focused at work and getting stuff done around my house for once. WOW, why didn't I do this sooner!!!

I had my first test last night. Sooner than I expected. I went to a Bitty Buttons customized clothing show for my daughter. The hostess was of course serving wine. Just what I love!!!!! But I thankfully declined and asked for water.

Now I did stare at the other glasses on the table a few times and listened to another mom mutter I need more wine as she was getting more and more confused on how to put an order together. I snickered as that is what I would have said.

But I left without a thought to drive my son to Hockey practice and went on like a new day.

I am sober! Wow!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, peterson. keep posting! blessings, k
Old 03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

peterson........that's good you past your first 'test'........the social situations can be the hardest part.........i can't imagine if i were at a party and they had vicoden in candy dishes or something......

i always admire alcoholics who quit, and stay sober........it is always right there, and you are so strong to resist it.....

i don't know if i sent you a private message or not, but i'll send you a link to our moms thread, you will love the women there, many many wine lovers.....all staying sober with kids, we know how hard it is..

hugs
ayla
Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Peterson ...I am new too. I am on day 3. I go to treatment next week. But I have been cranky today. So I been trying to stay busy.
I use to think i was weak for wanting to ask for help. I thought everyone would think I was a basket case or something. i couldnt have been more wrong. My family really stepped up and has become my biggest support system. Actually they were like "We were wondering how long before you finally asked for help." And they are all pulling for me. I know they would be quite upset with me if I turned back now and didn't get help. I would be most of all.
You dont have to do it alone. But your will and effort has to be something you do yourself. Do it because YOU want to. But there is nothing wrong with having people walk with you.
Good luck and congrats on being sober if only for one day.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi peterson . Sounds like you're getting a handle on it. Congrats on the first week!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome Peterson, Here is a bunch of recovery program

links that you can check out and see if any of them are

what you are looking for, keep up the good work.

best wishes, hope3

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes, I am getting a handle on it and so much done. I have had endless amounts of energy. It's crazy. I have been a cleaning freak all week and my house is done with Spring Cleaning. And it's not even Spring.

My family has been so supportive. Thank you for your comments. My son was the same way when I told him. His first reaction was thank god we don't have to go to the liquor store again. At 11, wow!

My boyfriend has been the best. Checking with me at the times when I would most be thinking about getting in the car and making a run for it. Asking if I'll be okay, if he should stay with me, stop by.

It is so much easier than you think. What has surprised me most is my friends who have said, I doubt you have a problem. Why is it that unless you are a raging drunk 24 7 smelling like a bar, you couldn't have a problem?

Obviously we do our best to try and hide it, not let others know what is going on or play it off like it is no big deal, just a few here and there, etc. How would they know. They should have when I said and did dumb things and didn't remember. Or that I drank liquor faster than water when out.

But it has amazed me how few people realized what was going on. This has been different for me. I smoked for 12 years too. Quit for 7 years now. It was so easy for me to quit that. I feel like I am in the same mind frame with this. but as I drive by places I would love to go for a romantic dinner I find myself asking the questions can I do that without wine or a martini?

I know I can, but it will be different. Well. I will soon be dry for one full week in a few hours. Thanks to all here who have given me so many words of encouragement.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Recovery Rocks!

You are an inspiration to me and I hope that I can come back here next week with a story as uplifting as yours.

Kudos to you!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm sure you will be back. You are here, I am here. We all walk this together.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

so right in the pocket peterson...

congrats on a week...

hey perterson you know something more then i did berfore i came to surrender...

how to stay sober a week...lol

good wishes peterson...

xxoo, rz
Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recovery Rocks!

Good morning! How are you today?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Talking

awake. How are you? Just getting ready for work. Feeling good. How bout you? Make it through the night? I know for me the first couple of nights I didn't sleep so good. Like couldn't sleep.

But now after a week, I am getting good sleep and so chipper in the AM.

Smile. It's another day!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

yep peterson, another day to be alive...

xxoo, rz
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Recovery Rocks!

Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
awake. How are you? Just getting ready for work. Feeling good. How bout you? Make it through the night? I know for me the first couple of nights I didn't sleep so good. Like couldn't sleep.

But now after a week, I am getting good sleep and so chipper in the AM.

Smile. It's another day!!!!!!!!!

Yep - I made it through the night. Slept pretty good, surprisingly. Who knows, maybe things will be different tonight.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Hope3

Congrats on your first week, glad you are feeling

so alive, keep trucking, hope3
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

ANother day and I keep going strong. Took my son to a concert last night. First time sober. But I think I actually paid attention to everything for once. It was fun.

But I was sooooo tired this morning. I'm starting to sleep good again. But am finding it hard to fall asleep each night. Any suggestions out there? I am not a warm milk or hot tea drinker before I go to bed.

I know those are old and silly. But if I could get to bed before 10!

I am sober today. 9 days. I hope my dad is looking down on me proud.