Notices

New here and trying to get over the hump

Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and trying to get over the hump

I am so disgusted with my drinking and just can't seem to get past short bouts of sobriety. I'm seeing an alcoholism counselor and also attend a group meeting. Haven't tried AA, cuz of all of the god stuff; I am considering Smart Recovery meetings and wonder about the experience of others in that regard.

I know I want to quit alcohol for good, but I just keep sliding back to it and hate what it's doing to my life.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

I really struggled to get beyond short periods of sobriety too. It took me a long time and I think it involved a shift in my thinking and believing that I was worth caring about and worth putting in the effort.

I did it on my own and eventually found this forum which has been my lifeline for years. I'm sure others will be along to give you advice on AA and Smart.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi bd!
Welcome to SR! I go to AA, so I cant help you with any info on the Smart Recovery plan. But I wanted to say hi and hang in there and keep trying
Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I couldn't manage more than a few days without booze, myself.
AA has been vital to my own recovery, but I understand if it's not for everyone. A lot of people are turned off by the 'God stuff' - nothing is required of you in AA, I want to assure you of that. You aren't required to believe in anything, there are suggestions only.
I used to sponsor a lady in AA - she decided to do the Smart Recovery plan - soon was back to binge drinking and I've never seen her again.
Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Thanks for letting me share.

Rowan
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

I have no experience to share on SMART
I was happily AA sober before it was founded.

I suggest you try every method you can think of.
Here is a list from our Alcoholism Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Here is a link about AA meetings
and what to expect

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html

Sobriety Rocks!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR,

I am not familliar with Smart Recovery. I have found by coming here often is a great source of encouragement. Here you are not judged and the support is incredible.

Keep searching and you will find what works for you!

We are glad you are here.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome,
Which ever path you choose to take in recovery you have taken the first major step. You seem to accept that you have a problem with alcohol and your are seeking help to over come it. I wish you well !.

chris
Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Luck and welcome!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hump? Hehe. I see it more like a mountain range that never ends at the moment. With help, I think I can make it and I want to see the view from the top. Even in the foothills I am on, the view is breathtaking.

Most people have some sort of spiritual connection after they stop drinking and go to AA. Even me - a hardened non believer. I just couldn't ignore the signs. They were too obvious. I hope you get the signs because they are wonderful to experience.

While I was drinking, I was a closed book and I wouldn't have seen any signs if they were two inches from my nose and flashing like the lights of Vegas. No wonder I didn't believe in any sort of Higher Power.

I totally relate to what you are saying. You don't have to believe in God to want to stop drinking. I think everone on this board totally respects everyone's beliefs. But quitting is hard work and AA helps heaps, with or without the God stuff. This site helps too and I used it long before I had the courage to go to any AA meetings. No one shoved God down my throat at my meetings so far. There is nothing to fear from God's name being spoken, even if you don't believe.

Stay and post and you will feel lots of support and love. Mine is coming down the line.

I am so pleased you are here and want to stop drinking.

xx
Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR, glad you found us
Old 03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by bdyptld View Post
I know I want to quit alcohol for good, but I just keep sliding back to it and hate what it's doing to my life.
I think that's a good beginning bdyptld. That combined with the group and seeing a counselor should really start giving you the tools to get past the backsliding. There's a lot of info on here as well as support. Welcome .