Notices

scared an sober

Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face scared an sober

I've been drinking now for about 10 years i would say out of control but i thought i could handle my self, during things that made me do what i have been during these days an alocohic there i was. finally got it after calling my sisters, friends, brothers, who ever would listen to my sad story how i wanted to stop drinking. Once I got over telling everybody of my drinking problem and how i wish something would happen in my life to get my life together, so to make a long story short i ask the lord to help me loose weight and he did with gastric bypass surgery. I thought about all the insurrance companies that didn't approve of different people that has tried to have it that i knew, and here i am blessed and with chance of a life time to be all i could be. Well i love the way i look now but i was drinking 6 light beer and 10 shot of voka and 10 ciaregrates a day 7 days a week for 2 to 3 months straight. locking myself away from my family and my new grand daughter drinking myself away, all i have left inside of me to me was hell . I couldn't take it any morer the way my kids talk to me no respect at all and i knew it was because of my drinking and during, saying things to them wihen i were drunk and not rememeber very much the next day. i hit rock bottom when i left the house one morning after a argurment with the family and drove into a church parking lot. (it was a tuesday morning no church going on) and i ask the lord to help me stop drinking help me lord i say and i ask him what to do the next thing i knew was at home packing my clothes to go in for detox. I know the lord up above brought recovery to me and my husband because although he didn't go in for detox he hasn 't brought any alcohol in the house nor have he had a drink since feb/22/2007 and to days date is march 6/2007. I just wanted to share and ask for every bodies prays that i continue to follow the 12 steps and do it one day at a timel
owe i haven't drink since feburary 22, 2007 to feb. 28

ps: i will keep up updated with my progress. sandra c
Old 03-06-2007, 10:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Powerful story..Thanks for sharing part of your
journey with us!

Blessings to you and a special hug to your husband

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome aboard altimasan, you are not alone....

Hope3..
Old 03-07-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sandy... thanks for the share...

keep it green...

good wishes to you...

xxoo, bless... rz
Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Sandra C,

I can't believe you're from Slidell. I lived there for 12 years, and in New Orleans before that. I know there's at least one other person on this board that's from Slidell and she goes to AA meetings there. I got sober in Slidell back in '86. There are so many loving, caring people in AA there. I hope you seek out one of the meetings. I think the meetings are on 3rd Street if I remember correctly. They used to be on Ponchartrain Drive but of course that got blown away by Katrina. I lived in YesterOaks subdivision. You know the one right next to that big Baptist church on Ponchartrain Drive. I was down there last year and the house I used to live in was gone!

Sorry for rambling on, but I still have fond memories of my early sobriety in Slidell. I read with keen interest about you and your struggle. You mentioned the Lord quite a few times. It certainly wasn't just a coincidence that you posted your story here. How else would you know that there is someone else who knows exactly where you live. God is watching you recover from your surgery. He's smiling because He sees His child trying to get better. He will not let you go if stay close to Him. He will deliver you and your husband from any problems that you decide to give to Him. He will guide you to a new life, with hope, strength and purpose. All He asks is that you follow a few simple suggestions and not give up on Him.

Please find the AA meetings there in Slidell. There are many people there who will extend their open arms to you and welcome you to a new life of sobriety. When you go, ask some folks who seems to have been around for a long time what their names are. I bet some of the folks who helped me get sober are still there. Tell them Ed Wolff says hi.

Your in God and sobriety,
Ed
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sandra!!
Welcome to SR, so glad you found us!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i'm so glad you are here.....congratulations on your sober time....

hugs
ayla
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CONGRATS Alti, You are a very strong person , we can all keep going, Your an encouragement to all of us!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Sandra!!

Here you will find so many loving caring people!! Keep coming here ok?? It truly helps!!! I am so VERY glad to have you here!! Stay strong !!! You can do it!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Sandra! So glad you're here, sending out prayers to you and your husband for sobriety.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hello.

To sum things up:

I have walked in your shoes. That pair is worn out.

Although I call folks who have a lot of sober time "veterans", we are all in the same boat, we are all "one drink away from a drunk"

Try staying quiet for a moment when you awaken to ask Higher Power for help and to direct your thinking before you make any plans.

You can always get on here and ramble along with us.

We are here for you, in doing so, we help ourselves.

A note:

13 months sober as of yesterday. 7th time in. I was diagnosed with acute liver disease 11 years ago and was miraculously healed. But denial slowly crept back in. I recall sitting in the bathroom a month after my last treatment shotgunning my hidden warm beers. My daughter confronted me when she checked the dumpster for the cans. I was so desperate I acrually drank a whole bottle of cooking wine and my face d blew up like a blowfishrom the efects of the sodium and alcohol. I perusaded my daughter that Mama was co dependent, not alcoholic.

I persuaded myself.

Cunning, baffling, and powerful this disease is with it's chief warrior DENIAL. I now have to deal with acute Bipolar disorder, but the Big Book of AA says that any of us can and do recover if we have the capacity to be honest with ourselves.

Thanks for coming on and sharing.

Love, IO Storm

"Don't drink no matter what".
Old 03-07-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sandra and welcome to the best site of the net if you want to stay sober. It's hard at first but the benefits are just wonderful. I am so pleased you husband is supporting you and that you have put your trust in God to help you through this.

We have nearly the same sober day. Mine is 20 February 2007!! We can go through it together - I am always looking for friends in this journey.

Love from

Dubs

xxxxx
Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Alti! I am sending prayers your way and congratulations on your recovery so far!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you found us, altimasan/Sandra! I hope you stick around here--you're one of the SR family now, you know!

Take care,
Jane
Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, Sandra- Welcome to SR. You will find so much support and unconditional love here. Please keep coming back!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How wonderful and fantastic you chose to join us as we all "trudge this road to happy destiny together" from the Big Book of AA

It also states we can be hapy joyous and free...so do not worry "we are not a glum lot and you will not become dull, glum and bopring...Yo will learn to laugh with us aw we get into the Sunlight of the Spirit

Need to tell you when I attended my very first meeting of AA...I saw folks standing outside laughing, joking and having a GREAT time socializing and at first I thought they could not be part o the mtg was going to---but I was wrong [quite often] so my second thought was They HAD TO HAVE BEEN smoking that funny stuff....I was wrong there too...I found out formyself that we truly are not a glum lot. it took a little while for the fog to clear--very natutral--and for the clarity to come--but I found my sense of humor again as welll as a host of many many other gifts and blessings
Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for that post, Mary- I agree!!!!!!! (miss the thanks button...)
Old 03-08-2007, 12:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
IO Storm

scared...

Hello Sandra.

Welcome. This the place to be. You can rant, rave, share good happy stuff, and most likely you will feel a connection with one or several members. Look until you find what will help you.

BTW, Dev Angel, how R U doing today?

Love,

IO Storm
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome sandra, keep coming here to post, it is a great place with wonderful people and support!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Sandra! Well done and good luck.