Notices

Well, so much for "rehab"...

Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, so much for "rehab"...

I went to a treatment center last week hoping for some assistance with my drug/alcohol problem. I thought I might get in an out patient program, maybe get some antibuse or set up a series of appointments with an addictions counseler.

Things didn't go the way I expected. I was diagnosed as bi-polar and an appointment was set up for me at a "dual diagnosis" treatment center. Whatever the hell that is. I called back today and cancelled all my appointments.

This really pisses me off. Now I'm out 200 bucks for nothing. What kind of an idiot makes a mental health diagnosis on a person who is into his 3rd day of unwinding from a booze/dope jag? I guess I should of known something was up when they started asking questions about my bank account and how many bedrooms my house has.

I have no insurance and no job. I was hoping to pay for some useful treatment out of whats left of my meager savings account. Instead I get steered into some totally irrelevant crap by an obnoxious, patronizing jerk. I won't make the mistake of seeking "professional" help again.

On a brighter note, my AA meetings are going well. Still on track with my 90/90 deal. Some days I make two meetings. I've met some pretty nice people and I hope to muster the courage to ask for a sponsor soon.

Day 9 and I'M STILL SOBER!!!

Joe
Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Joe,

Glad your AA meetings are going well. Congrats on being sober for nine days.

Keep posting!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by zJoe99 View Post
I went to a treatment center last week hoping for some assistance with my drug/alcohol problem. I thought I might get in an out patient program, maybe get some antibuse or set up a series of appointments with an addictions counseler.

Things didn't go the way I expected. I was diagnosed as bi-polar and an appointment was set up for me at a "dual diagnosis" treatment center. Whatever the hell that is. I called back today and cancelled all my appointments.

This really pisses me off. Now I'm out 200 bucks for nothing. What kind of an idiot makes a mental health diagnosis on a person who is into his 3rd day of unwinding from a booze/dope jag? I guess I should of known something was up when they started asking questions about my bank account and how many bedrooms my house has.

I have no insurance and no job. I was hoping to pay for some useful treatment out of whats left of my meager savings account. Instead I get steered into some totally irrelevant crap by an obnoxious, patronizing jerk. I won't make the mistake of seeking "professional" help again.

On a brighter note, my AA meetings are going well. Still on track with my 90/90 deal. Some days I make two meetings. I've met some pretty nice people and I hope to muster the courage to ask for a sponsor soon.

Day 9 and I'M STILL SOBER!!!

Joe
Great to hear you're still sober Joe. You already have the courage to approach someone about being your sponsor. Hell, you had the courage to go the the treatment center and ask for help. Most of the folks I know that are sober today didn't have the benefit of treatment. They had the benefit of working the AA program. I'm not saying that some people doon't need more, I'm just saying that when you get started with your sponsor working the steps of the program, you'll be well on your way to the new way of life that's there for you.

Keep up the good work and f**k the treatment center.

Ed
Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Golfman View Post
Great to hear you're still sober Joe. You already have the courage to approach someone about being your sponsor. Hell, you had the courage to go the the treatment center and ask for help. Most of the folks I know that are sober today didn't have the benefit of treatment. They had the benefit of working the AA program. I'm not saying that some people doon't need more, I'm just saying that when you get started with your sponsor working the steps of the program, you'll be well on your way to the new way of life that's there for you.

Keep up the good work and f**k the treatment center.

Ed
You're right. I guess it isn't really a matter of courage. Don't know why I said that. I'm still getting to know people and watching for someone who I think I can work with. I'm sure I'll find someone soon.

If I decide I need a therapist in the future I'll go based on the recommendation of someone in AA. I was desperate when I made that appointment and it was a mistake.

Last edited by zJoe99; 03-05-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by zJoe99 View Post
You're right. I guess it isn't really a matter of courage. Don't know why I said that. I'm still getting to know people and watching for someone who I think I can work with. I'm sure I'll find someone soon.

If I decide I need a therapist in the future I'll go based on the recommendation of someone in AA. I was desperate when I made that appointment and it was a mistake.

Hey,

Just remember you're not a mistake. You keep going to AA and trying to identify with some of the sober people there. I might get in trouble for this but I found a woman when I first got to AA that helped me more than anyone else. Just a thought.

Ed
Old 03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my therapist is a recovering alcoholic and a member of AA. she has been very helpful. congratulations on staying sober!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Joe...Well done on your sober time!

Before you get a sponsor I suggest you read
"Questions and Answers on Sponsorship"

It's a free pamphlet and is usually on
the literature rack in metings.

And..I got a great job..in a new field
by telling AA members I was looking.

Blessings
Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hi Joe...Well done on your sober time!

Before you get a sponsor I suggest you read
"Questions and Answers on Sponsorship"

It's a free pamphlet and is usually on
the literature rack in metings.

And..I got a great job..in a new field
by telling AA members I was looking.

Blessings
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the tip on that pamplet. I'll be sure and give it a read. I appreciate hearing your encouraging job experience too. I'm trying hard not to panic over my lack of a job right now. My situation is more than a little precarious. Hoping that everything will work out if I focus on my sobriety.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ZJoe99,

What do you do? I have a bunch of contacts in IN still.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go on staying sober and getting to AA!!! Awesome!!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love your nicknames for people Bloodaroodles. (woops - sounded like Homer's neighbour - what's his name - o I wish my memory would come back).

Way to go being day 9 zJoe. Meet day 14 girl from a looooooong way away.

It sounds like you really want to get there so I have faith in you that you will do whatever it takes.

Love, thoughts and prayers heading your way mate.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

zJoe, mayhap Ka is working in your life already. Perhaps "someone" though it best for you not to go.

I can't believe they diagnosed a (basically) de-toxing alkie as Bi-polar. But yeah, they saw $$$ sign$.

Stick with AA. My experience has been nothing works better. Today is day 133 for me. My life is getting soooooooo busy, in a good way. Anxiety, depression and the craving are but a vague memory.

Keep it up !
Old 03-07-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

zjoe...

happy to see another trying for a better life... i wish you all the best...

i cant say luck, i think luck ran out long ago... its something more...

A.A. is a two part program

the fellowship of A.A. & the Fellowship of the spirit...

ed
I might get in trouble for this but I found a woman when I first got to AA that helped me more than anyone else.
... i too found a women... a very wise one in her 60's... she helped me to realy see that it was my twisted thinking, and my reaction to everything that was my main problem.. my activity was but a easy answer to my problem... "Me!"

all good wishes, and xxoo, from da bronx... well close to it...

hey, in my story i tell of a uncle that had a friend named drop the gun louie...

he owned a laudramatte... a front for a numbers racket... what a example for me in my youth...

my power of example... ha!

i grew up take'n the easy way out... so it thought...

scam'n.. get'n over ect...

i'm not that person anymore... thanks to recovery and A.A.

it aint for everyone, it worked for me... maybe you also

all good wishes, and xxoo, from da bronx... well close to it...

rz
Old 03-07-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Dual diagnosis is mental health and substance abuse problems together. But sometimes treating the bi-polar will help treat the addiction...could be the reason that you use. Don't be afraid and get healthy..congrats on staying sober!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone! I didn't mean to imply that bi-polar isn't a valid diagnosis. I may or may not have that condition. Its just that in my case I felt it was too early to make an accurate diagnosis. I think I need to get clean and sober first and then go from there. I understand that some people may have difficulty getting sober because of bi-polar or other issues that need to be addressed. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Day 12! Woohoo!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super!

and tell us how your meetings are going please.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I may or may not have that condition. Its just that in my case I felt it was too early to make an accurate diagnosis. I think I need to get clean and sober first and then go from there
You learn quick !!!

That's exactly the right atitude to have, IMO.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Smile

Joe,

Just keep doing the next, right thing! Sorry you had such a bad experience with rehab!

Meeting makers, make it!

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

You may have made the mistake of choosing the wrong rehab; but, fortunately you made a right decision in choosing AA as part of your recovery process...and, the price is right...an hour a day of your time, and whatever you can afford to toss in the basket (or nothing at all, depending on your circumstances). Can't beat that!

Hang in there...the job will come when you're ready for it...in God's time, not yours.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

way to go Joe!!!