Notices

Can alcohol make you sad or depressed?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Can alcohol make you sad or depressed?

Hi everyone

Yesterday I drank 11 beers. Today I am happily sober. My routine has been to drink 8-12 beers every other day, take an Atarax (a powerful atihistamine/sleep medication) and then go to bed. Alcohol in and of itself is enough to make you wake up feeling like a zombie but when you add Atarax to the mix, you wake up feeling like you just walked out of your own grave. Atarax also has a tendency to "build up" in you and so the longer I take it, the worse I feel each day.

Today I feel very very sad and depressed (like my puppy just died or something). My room mate also acted like an arse earlier and we got into a bit of an argument and are not talking to each other at the moment so now I have no one to chat with.

I have decided to NOT take any Atarax this evening (or drink) and tommorow I will start back on the Naltrexone again. I hope this helps me to feel better because I am becoming increasingly desperate as alcohol continues to exacts it's toll on me. My gosh, what it must be like to feel NORMAL again )-:

Well, just venting a little bit I guess. Each morning I wake up hungover, I feel more and more like I'm losing my grip on sanity and my life itself but at least for today, I am sober.

Thanks for listening, NFIS
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey NFIS- welcome back- Alcohol is a depressant. Atarax is an antihistamine, but it is also used for anxiety- the two are counteracting each other. I know you were trying to quit before- That's great you realize you need to make a change.

If you are doing this on your own, I would suggest reconsidering. Maybe go to a dr. first then find a support group to help you.

Best of luck
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely alcohol can make you sad. I used to get horribly depressed and i don't suffer from clinical depression, it was directly from drinking. Beer was my drink of choice as well, but i would take valium to pass out.

The good news is you realize that it may be making you depressed, so hopefully you can use that as fuel for your fire.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. I was wondering how I might go about finding a "sponsor" in this forum. I've heard of them before but I'm not quite sure exactly what they do. Maybe if I could messenge/PM someone each time I felt like drinking that might help. Would anyone here be willing to be my sponsor and we could be there each time the other person weakened and felt like picking up a bottle of suds?.

Just wondering...

- Regards, NFIS
Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A sponsor helps you learn application of the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

My experience has been an online sponsor has tremendous limitations.

Further, alcohol is but a symptom.

It "treats' our minds, our disatisifed lifes/minds.

Taking alcohol away will not solve it for me.

My last drink was in May of 2001.

There is SO much more to sobriety than not taking a drink, for me, it's building a WHOLE NEW CHARACTER. For that, I need an open mind first.

Tom
Old 02-26-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

>>

There is SO much more to sobriety than not taking a drink, for me, it's building a WHOLE NEW CHARACTER. For that, I need an open mind first.

<<

Well said! Thank you!

And yes, alcohol can cause depression, it's a depresant. I became sucidial while drinking.

And I don't know if people do online sponsoring, though admit I am clueless to that. I only know that I could never have maintained my sobriety if my only support was a name online ... but that is just me, the way I work.

Normally a sponsor is someone, who has been through it, that helps you and helps guide you on your recovery program.