Notices

TOPIC: What Did You DO In The Last 24 Hours To Stay Sober?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question TOPIC: What Did You DO In The Last 24 Hours To Stay Sober?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR, I havent had
a drink of alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

If you are just beginning ur sober
journey, would you like to share
with me and others how u stayed
sober the past 24 hours?

What did you do to keep ur mind
off drugs and alcohol?

If u stayed sober that first 24 hours
would you do the same thing the in
next 24 hours?

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Changed Course

First, I chose not to drink. Then, I stayed busy at work, busy at home and then hit SR-good therapy. I hope I will continue to choose sobriety. I know that in time I will feel better. At least, many of you here have said so! This is definately tough times, tougher than quitting smoking which I did on 1-1-06. The plan was to quit drinking on 1-1-07, after many prior half-hearted attempts that never lasted more than 2 days. Also tried the "moderation thing". I am very happy there is an Army of learned friends here.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job 180!!

I ate good, drank lots of fluids, spent a lot of time on SR, cleaned house, went shopping, and watched movies last night.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sharon,

I came here today. and will come here tomorrow!

As, 180 said, there is an army of learned friends. There is so much to learn here.

I need to come here to gain the wisdom and strength of sobriety.

Based on what I am experiencing, if I didn't come here, I would be drunker than a skunk.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

I am on day 5 today. Here is what I did so far to stay sober today.

I ignored my body and mind telling me that I could just have one. I remembered that it is never just one and that if I fail today I will have to start again at day one. I made myself remember that I cannot control how much I drink once I start. I remembered what I was grateful about. I stayed busy. I came here to read people's messages of support to each other and I know that if I ask for help, I am welcome here. I remembered I am not alone in this.

I stayed focussed just on today and when I started to worry about the future and what I would do in different situations, I was like Scarlett O'Hara and told myself that I would think about that tomorrow.

I felt the peace and the joy of sobriety - concentrated on it whenever I was feeling good. I asked for help and company from sober friends.

Hoping this helps someone else get through their day.

xx to all.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I thank AA and my Higher Power that it's been many, many years since I've had any serious thoughts of drinking. Being an alcoholic, there are always those occasional times when I'll think back to a glass (bottle) of wine with a good Italian meal, or a bottle (case) of beer at a backyard b-b-q. But, they are just passing thoughts, and very, very seldom!

There is much more to sobriety than "putting the plug in the jug". Since I'm now a long-term resident of a nursing home, I've learned my greatest challenge is not the thinking of drinking, but just trying to maintain a healthy state of mind.

I'm grateful that I have a computer at my disposal in my room. I spend hours on it...either chatting with friends, posting/reading at SR, or playing on-line bridge. It keeps me sane, as well as mentally sober!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to a six am meeting, read my book Union 1812, went to a sing-a-long with my wife and two children (Sheila 2, and Liam 4 months) and then took a nice nap. Right now I've got a hot cup of joe, my laptop, and soberecovery on the screen as my daughter serenades me with snipets of songs she learned today. My boy Liam is sleeping fitfully by my side as my wife Liz smiles down at him from her chair.Life is good. Sober is better.
Mike in Boston