SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/116598-new-here.html)

Leroysdad 02-23-2007 05:43 PM

New Here

Hi all. I just signed up and realize i need help to quit drinking. I haven't drank in 24 hours and need all the help and support i can get.

ayla zaire 02-23-2007 05:52 PM

welcome, john......congrats on making it a day....i know it's hard...

you have found a great place......you will definately find help and support here.....

have you talked to a doctor? it's always wise when detoxing......it is safer.....

i'm really glad you are here.....good luck.....take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time......

have you looked into AA? so many people find it helpful.......

hugs
ayla

Leroysdad 02-23-2007 05:55 PM

Hi and thanks for the greet. No i haven't seen my doctor. I am unemployed and broke. I will check into AA monday. I just found this forum and it seemed a good way to get some support. I will check into AA tomorrow. Thanks again.

TamTam 02-23-2007 05:56 PM

Hi, John- welcome to SR. Good job on 24 hrs!! One day at a time!

Missymae737 02-23-2007 05:58 PM

Welcome to SR John,

Glad you are joining us.

You can do this!

bee62 02-23-2007 06:18 PM

Hi John,

I just finished almost 48 hours. I was shaking so badly yesterday but I made it to my first AA meeting. What great group of people, we all immediately hit it off. Its not for everyone and I have balked for over a year, but I am truly glad I did it.

Good luck and welcome to SR!

bee62 02-23-2007 06:18 PM

Hi John,

I just finished almost 48 hours. I was shaking so badly yesterday but I made it to my first AA meeting. What great group of people, we all immediately hit it off. Its not for everyone and I have balked for over a year, but I am truly glad I did it.

Good luck and welcome to SR!
Melissa

bee62 02-23-2007 06:19 PM

oops one too many haha

Leroysdad 02-23-2007 06:22 PM

Thanks bee. Congrats on your first 48 and attending your first AA meeting. I guess the best way to find one is in the phone book?

bee62 02-23-2007 06:25 PM

Go google AA groups in Lousiana and you can find your district, they should have a 24 hr kind of hotline or they will list Shreveport and their locations.
Thats how I found it.
M

hope3 02-24-2007 06:47 AM

Hi John, My name is Sharon alias hope3.

I am a recovering alcoholic, and invite you

to join me in the ride of your life..

Some days I wake up and want to jump for joy (most of the time lately)

Some days I wake up and want to go back to bed.

And sometimes I just want to stay in bed..

But no matter what, I wake up and say, no I am not going

to drink today no matter how much my addiction trys to

talk me into it.

I say this will pass, and usually it passes in about 7 seconds (fact).

Bless you John, Enjoy the ride, ((((((((hope3)))))))

P.S., sorry you tripped over my legs getting on the newbie bus...Ha, Ha,

teej 02-24-2007 06:57 AM

Hi John!
So glad you found us, this is a great to come for support. You will love being a part of it. Welcome!!!:)
tj

Leroysdad 02-24-2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Leroysdad (Post 1222606)
Hi all. I just signed up and realize i need help to quit drinking. I haven't drank in 24 hours and need all the help and support i can get.

Many thanks to all that have responded :) I have now made it around 36 hours and counting. I have a big test coming up tonite and will really need your words of encouragement here. I will be going to inlaws house tonite to play dominoes and they are wine drinkers. I'll be tempted but am determined to stick to my guns so to speak. :)

teej 02-24-2007 10:21 AM

I'm not trying to sound like a downer, but that sounds dangerous to me. Being 36 hours into stopping and being around it is going to be hard on you.
IF IT WERE ME, I would stay away from people that are drinking while I was getting through the hard part.
Just a suggestion.

Leroysdad 02-24-2007 10:45 AM

Yea. I know it will be hard but it's the inlaws and i have to keep peace in the family and i don't really like wine anyway so i think it will be alright. I am VERY determined not to drink anymore.

teej 02-24-2007 11:07 AM

okay, just stay strong! You can do this!!
Question -- Do your inlaws know about your drinking prob and that you are quitting?? Maybe they wont even drink tonight?

hope3 02-25-2007 05:17 AM

Hi John, Hows it going today?

Did the dominoes go ok at the inlaws?

todays going to be around 50 hours, great.

(((((((hope3)))))))

Leroysdad 02-25-2007 01:22 PM

Went great

Originally Posted by hope3 (Post 1224117)
Hi John, Hows it going today?

Did the dominoes go ok at the inlaws?

todays going to be around 50 hours, great.

(((((((hope3)))))))

Hey there. Yes the dominoes went fine and no they don't know I have a problem they just think i am a social drinker. I told them last night i was trying to quit and they said they didn't mind not drinking so we had a wonderful SOBER evening. :)

Anna 02-25-2007 01:51 PM

I'm glad things went well and I hope you keep moving forward John.

2stop 02-25-2007 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey John....glad you're here. Thiss ite has helped me, and it can help you too. Keep posting and get to know some of the wonderful folks around here.

My kitty came across a good message today too.........

TOUGH times don't last, but tough people do......will keep you in my prayers!