Notices

Is AA absolutely necessary?

Old 02-17-2007, 01:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was just wondering if going to AA and doing the 12 step program were absolutely necessary to achieve sobriety? Is there anyone out there who has done it without AA? Please let me know. I am new here.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Necessary?
No but it sure does help.

I didn't go to group meetings but I did have a sponsor that knew the ways of AA very well. Through such efforts I stopped the drinking. It wasn't till much later that I found the steps used in AA that change lives and with finding them, I found a true sober life.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mattie B

You might want to have a look at the secular forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/

for some other resources on getting sober without AA.

I did get sober the AA way. I've been sober for three and a half years. My life, and my internal life, just seems to get better. No-one asked me for anything. No-one insisted I believe in anything. They just wanted me to get sober.

Try other ways. But don't rule out AA out of prejudice.

Take it easy
Old 02-17-2007, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paul,

I know AA is great for many people, but I didn't use that route and I've been sober for quite awhile.

Here is a list of recovery programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 02-17-2007, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mattie,

I think that depends on you and your personality. I am very intrinsically motivated, when I really decide i want something I put my mind to it and do it. I do not belong to AA, I have only been sober for sevens month so I am certainly not an expert. I have read a lot about alcohol it affects and effects, I do Read some of the AA stuff though have never and probably will never go to a meeting. I HATE meetings of any type and in the past attending meeting have been triggers for me.

Back to my first thought it really depends on you. Put yourself and your sobriety first check out the options and choose your path to a sober life . Which ever path you choose make sure you can stick to it, that is the most important and the most challenging part.

Only I can keep me from drinking!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

mattieb
... nope, if ya dont drink!

point... some recovery program can be nessisary... not many can do it alone...

good wishes mat
Old 02-17-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Nope, AA is not absolutely necessary. Many have found sobriety without AA, but most have developed or gone to 'some type of program' to help them LIVE SOBER.

I sure didn't think AA was for me. And I can honestly say the first 6 months or so all I did was go to meetings, didn't work any steps or read the literature or the Big Book. Got a sponsor who seemed to understand fully what was and wasn't going on with me, and she did not push me. Well then you might ask Why Did I go?

Because in those AA meetings I felt SAFE. There were lots of people who didn't drink any more. And at the meetings after the meetings (going for coffee) I started to learn about fun things to do sober, how to live sober, and started making some new sober friends.

I went to those meetings Out Of Fear. Fear that I could not Not Drink.

So, no AA is not absolutely necessary. You have been given some really great advice above on other ways to go. Please check into them.

Mattie welcome to SR, you have found a great place to share what you are going through with some really wonderful caring people who have been or are now, where you are at.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-17-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I quit on my own nine years ago. I make a decision to evolve and I stick to it.

Would I have married and stayed with a practicing alcoholic for six years if I'd gone to AA when I got sober? That's a good question. If I had bothered to educate myself instead of just eradicating drinking from my life, I might have saved myself a lot of pain later when trying to deal with someone else's drinking.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, mattie - my daughter is 5 months sober with the help of rehab, aa, and private counseling. i guess recovery can happen in different ways for different people. all i know is that when she tried to control or quit drinking on her own without help and support - she was not successful.

keep posting! nice to meet you. blessings, k
Old 02-17-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello -

I'm looking to avoid AA in my recovery as well. I have a therapist and I try to do a lot of cognitive and other work (visualization, meditation, journaling) to better understand what's going on with me.

I agree that it all depends on your personality. Sometimes I think a support group would be nice, but I'm not a joiner by nature, and I am turned off by a lot of the god-talk that many of these groups seem to espouse.

I'm not ruling it out for the future, but it's not where I'm at now.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

fastrabbit, I tried AA twice and it did not work for me...or I should honestly say I did not follow the rules. No one imposed on me, they were there for me when I used the program, and I can say that it helped for a short while, but I felt I was too free-spirited. I am on day three with my third attempt, and everytime I get cravings, I visit a few websites, read, and then come to SR. I have a much better attitude now, because it is ME that wants to quit drinking, not AA, or my wife. It is just about me now, because if I do not make it this time, I will not have a wife(and not to mention 3 beautiful little girls) or a life. I love this site, because there are people all over the world that share their experiences that I can either relate too, or learn from.
In no way am I discouraging AA because I felt at home there when I went. They were great people that went out of their way the two weeks I was working the program. I failed at AA, they did not fail me. I wish you luck and pray for all of us. Take care everyone...
Old 02-17-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It was for me. I had tried everything else. It was the last house on the block. Thank God the door opened when I knocked.

I fought going tooth and nail for years. I even got to the point weher I'd tell people I was going, then just drive around for an hour.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You told people you were going to the last house on the block, then you drove round it for an hour?

hehehehehehehe
Old 02-20-2007, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome mattie to SR,

Recovery is recovery, no matter how you find it. What works for one person may not work for another.

Wishing you well on your recovery no matter how you find it.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Is AA absolutely necessary for achieving sobriety? Apparently not, after reading some of the posts here of others who have made it so far without benefit of AA. However, as one who has enjoyed 27+ years of continued AA-enhanced sobriety...I highly recommend it!

Only I can keep me from drinking!
Another point of view:

I get drunk...we stay sober!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there,,

Welcome to SR!! I am really happy you found SR.. You have opened yourself you here, and I am sure you can open yourself up at whatever Recovery Forum you choose.

I tried quite dreadfully for a while to help myself, even to let the detox centers help me. But in the end, it took the detox center AND a 12 step program called Celebrate Recovery to finally help me. I found that I could not do it alone. I also do give much credit to SR for my recovery, but I needed face 2 face help too, I am far to dangerous on my own without the f2f help..
Addiction, alcoholism, whatever is an extremely powerful disease, I know that I needed help, I could not recover on my own, it is much stronger than I am..

Good luck in your decision, and no matter what, we are happy you are here with us at SR.. :o)

Prayers,
Becky