SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/115488-hello.html)

celebris 02-12-2007 07:13 AM

Hello

I am new to sobrity. I haven't had any really good long term sobrity for about 12 years. That old saying that I will have just one (HA! Yea right) one is to many and a thousand is not enough!!! Anyway I am glad to be back! The cravings in my head have not stopped. It drives me crazy but I guess this will pass. Anyway I would like to know how others got over the cravings that they had/have. I really enjoy this site. Glad to be here.

Midas 02-12-2007 07:28 AM

Welcome Aboard, Celebris! We're glad you're here. And, welcome back. :grouphug:

Hivemind 02-12-2007 07:30 AM

Hey, welcome!!

Get busy doing stuff, get distracted....go for it

parentrecovers 02-12-2007 07:31 AM

welcome, celebris - nice to meet you! are you going to aa or getting any other support? stay busy, and keep it simple. recovery is possible. blessings, k

CarolD 02-12-2007 07:33 AM

Welcome back!

In early recovery . I timed my cravings.
Mine were 5/7 minutes in duration.
I can overcome most things for that short time!

I took action during that space.
Brushing my teeth... Eating a Lifesaver..
Drinking water or juice.. Walking

I also prayed for help when they happened.

The longer I stayed sober
they lessened in both frequency and intensity.

Keep going forward... Blessings

Midas 02-12-2007 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by celebris (Post 1207751)
It drives me crazy but I guess this will pass. Anyway I would like to know how others got over the cravings that they had/have. I really enjoy this site. Glad to be here.

I kept a 24 Hour chip with me at all times for the first month. When I got a craving, I would clutch the chip and chant the Serenity prayer. I swear, that chip has bite marks in it, too. ;)

BBQBOY 02-12-2007 08:15 AM

Hi Celebris

Welcome to SR, I go one step further than Midas, I put the chip or coin in my mouth until craving is gone. I think it is the combination of bad taste and having my mouth busy that does it for me. I use this only when i'm in a tight spot, last resort. Keep posting too. NED

lisap 02-12-2007 10:23 AM

today is day one for me too. I am going to take hivemnd's idea and stay busy. I am usually too hung over to function but for some reason today I feel a new hope. One day at a time, sometimes an hour at a time.

sober..finally 02-12-2007 12:40 PM

When I finally came to believe that I couldn't do this on my own and no human power would save me, my cravings were lifted. Because of where I was at when I reached out, and how bad I wanted something else this was relative quick in coming. Can't say this for everyone though.

Scoty

sober..finally 02-12-2007 12:41 PM

Oh btw glad your here

Seanjitsu 02-12-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by celebris (Post 1207751)
The cravings in my head have not stopped. It drives me crazy but I guess this will pass. Anyway I would like to know how others got over the cravings that they had/have.

I got over the cravings by diving into AA the first night I went. I got a sponsor that night and immediately began working the steps. I have 41 days now (I'm on Step 8) and I am going out this weekend to begin working on my amends. I haven't had a craving at all. The magic is in the steps...

hope3 02-12-2007 04:08 PM

Welcome celebris, I stayed busy during the cravings, that helped to make them seem shorter even though they were only 7 min. long. The mental cravings lessened as I stayed busy....glad you're here, hope3