Notices

Greetings!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Hi everyone, I thought I would introduce myself after several months of lurking through this wonderful forum.

I have recently quit drinking, this is day 26 for me. I've been a heavy drinker, or should I say alcoholic, for 17 years now (half of my life). I knew straight away when I started drinking that it affected me differently from my friends. Even at the beginning I always wanted more, I was always the last person to stop drinking in any given session, and even at that early stage I needed emergency alcohol so I could continue my drinking later on in private. All the signs were there. Even when a close member of my family

died of alcoholism a few years into my drinking career I carried on regardless. For the past 7 years or so it's been a steady 2-3 bottles of red wine on average of 5 nights a week. Needless to say, I have suffered severely physically, spiritually, and financially.

I am sure many of you are familiar with the mind games and self-deception involved in moderation attempts. Of course all attempts at this in the past few years have only led to an escalation in my drinking frequency and amounts. The longest I had stopped for was 6 weeks, last year.

Through reading many posts on this forum I came across the extracts of Milam's book 'Under the Influence' and decided to buy it for myself. I had never really accepted the disease model of alcoholism, despite the evidence supporting it. The book presented the case for the disease model very convincingly and I have had a complete rethink of my beliefs.

So, anyway, I stopped completely 26 days ago after a two week binge. I knew it would be a hairy experience and it proved to be just that. Fortunately I did not experience DTs but I was jolly close, experiencing mild hallucinations in addition to the customary sweats and tremors. Strangely, I have not
experienced any cravings for alcohol.

I've had the voice in my head subtly nudging me towards having a drink and suggesting I can moderate - this time! I have accepted I can never drink alcohol again, and it doesn't scare me. Perhaps that is a big step. I know, as I always have, what my future is if I continue to drink. I don't have the feeling of bleakness when I think of a future without alcohol. By reading this forum and other sources, Milam's book, and of course prayer, I feel different this time.

Well i've probably gone on too long now. I hope that by maybe sharing some of my experience I might possibly help someone else, because I have certainly profited from reading other people's posts in here.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Erriksen View Post
Hi everyone, I thought I would introduce myself after several months of lurking through this wonderful forum.

Needless to say, I have suffered severely physically, spiritually, and financially.

I am sure many of you are familiar with the mind games and self-deception involved in moderation attempts.

So, anyway, I stopped completely 26 days ago after a two week binge. I knew it would be a hairy experience and it proved to be just that. Fortunately I did not experience DTs but I was jolly close, experiencing mild hallucinations in addition to the customary sweats and tremors. Strangely, I have not experienced any cravings for alcohol.

I've had the voice in my head subtly nudging me towards having a drink and suggesting I can moderate - this time! I have accepted I can never drink alcohol again, and it doesn't scare me. Perhaps that is a big step. I know, as I always have, what my future is if I continue to drink. I don't have the feeling of bleakness when I think of a future without alcohol. By reading this forum and other sources, Milam's book, and of course prayer, I feel different this time.

Well i've probably gone on too long now. I hope that by maybe sharing some of my experience I might possibly help someone else, because I have certainly profited from reading other people's posts in here.
Erriksen,

Welcome to the rest of your life. I believe that you've been blessed to be able to recognize some of the most important aspects of alcoholism. We play mind games with ourselves all the time. Many times after we've been sober for years. I too was blessed when I had no cravings since I made a decision to get help over 20 years ago. Your ability to pray and the belief that you're paying to someone or something puts you in a very good position to receive help.

My suggestion would be that you consider attending an AA meeting. No one there will diagnose you as being an alcoholic. You will find many folks who've been exactly where you are now. Your desire to share your experience is desperately needed at AA. Helping other people is the goal we set for ourselves when we begin the program of AA.

I would caution you that after 26 days you may be experiencing a sense of power over alcohol. If you are, be very careful. Our disease is always waiting to jump on us when we least expect it. Good luck and "Keep coming back."
Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome Erriksen, I'm glad you joined us. I am reading Under the Influnce for the second time in some places, and agree with you.
Congrats on your 26 days! and keep posting. lol hope3
Old 02-11-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Under the Influence was an interesting and eye opening book for me as well. Nice to see you here . Welcome to the forum and congratulations on 26 days.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing Erriksen...Welcome!

I too used the info in "Under The Influence"
to quit drinking.
I have not had a drink since I read it in 89.

I also use God and AA to live a fantastic life.

Blessings...
Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 02-11-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Originally Posted by Erriksen View Post
I've had the voice in my head subtly nudging me towards having a drink and suggesting I can moderate - this time!
I got sober, originally in 1986. Stayed so for 16 years. Then, in 2002, I heard the same voice you describe. Went through four months of being sick-drunk, barely high, before I scrambled back onto the correct path in April of 2003.
I can't moderate any drink or drug of abuse, a lot of foods and some types of sex. I'm an addict.
But, hey, that's just me...
Stagebear
Old 02-12-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your advice and encouragment.

As far as feeling a power over alcohol - I have found this to be a trap in the past and hopefully I am much more aware of it now. One of the things that can be taken from lapses in abstinence is that we learn from them and hopefully use these hard earned lessons in future. Sometimes I enjoy the apparent power I have over the voices telling me I can drink but at the same time have to remind me how much of a deadly matter it all is.

I have considered AA and can see how much it has helped many people, but decided against it for the time being.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi Erricksen, glad you got back to us,

I know how you feel about not craving alcohol. However, on the 30th day I had wicked cravings and mental anguish, I didn't drink, and I have my family at SR here to thank for that........

I wish you continued sobriety...hope3
Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks hope. I am pleased to hear you overcame it with support. All the best.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you again
How are you doing?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR