Notices

isnt abstinance a large part of recovery?

Old 02-10-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
workin on life

Arrow isnt abstinance a large part of recovery?

Hi im new to online posting so please bear with me. I have had an adiction for 16 years to cocaine (that being my drug of choice) but have as an adult mixxed that with 12 beer a night. 2 and a half years ago i ran away across canada on a greyhound bus 78 hours to be exact with my two young children in toe and detoxed myself on the bus (i was high three hours prior to getting on the bus at 830 in the am) I ran home to mom who had no idea until about a month ago why i was so sick and emotionally/mentaly/physically drained. I still havent told my children about what i was doin (will when they are older) they are only 12 and 10 now.

ok so this wasnt my first attempt at quiting. i had quit using when i was 18 and ran from one end of canada to the other and detoxed myself in a car for a week with a guy i was using for a ride (he had no idea what was wrong with me i said i had car sickness or the flu). Figure if i could get out of town i could get away from the drug i was a kid what did i know, right. well it worked for 7 years before i slipped up and started using after the relationship to my childrens father broke up. used and abused drugs and alcohol for 2 years then ran again. im an adult and ran like a little kid.

I lost my children to their father because i was so messed up that i believed i could take them across country and file for custody there but was wrong he filed where we had been living and got custody. I could have gotten them back if i came back to the province with them but came back and decided to let them go live with their father so i could clean up my life. cant give them a good life messed up.

I moved to where i am now 2 and a half years ago and am trying to abstain from using cocaine. I have slipped twice the last time being 4 and a half months ago. both were 1 night slips. since the last slip i have decided that i need to abstain from all drug related activities including drinking alcohol.

been having a hard time lately doing the sobriety thing since i am now married to an active and heavy drinker. wanna stay sober but been thinking if you cant beat em join em right, wrong. lol I went to my fist NA meeting last night not too sure if its the right place for me (maybe im just telling myself that) i dont know. gotta give it time before i make any decisions on that one. but its hard to stay sober when hubby says things like i wish you would start using again maybe youll lighten up and get a sence of humor. as if.

but enough rambling thanks for letting me share a lil bit about my troubling life.

staying sober one day, one minute, one second at a time.

Last edited by desperatensober; 02-10-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are seeking answers

Yes...abstinance and AA work great for me
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try AA or NA meetings to get help. You are not alone in this battle.

http://www.aameetingslondonontario.h....com/main.html
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome D'n'S
My thoughts are with you,stay strong!you are doing the right thing in trying to stay clean.NA/AA works if you work it!
chris