Notices

First time AA what to expect?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time AA what to expect?

I'm a 49 year old alcoholic man. I"m considering going to AA for the first time, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect. My father joined AA in his late 30's and, for the rest of his life, never had another drink. He attended several meetings per week for 35 years. AA became a big part of his life. Unfortunately, he's no longer around to advise me. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Irvp99 check out this board, there is a sticky at the top that is full of stuff you will be able to use to prepare for your first meeting. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/

My hat is off to you for taking this step, I drank for 40 years and I can tell you that AA saved my life, not only that, but by working the steps the urge/need to drink has been lifted from me.

You are very lucky to know that AA works, you saw it in your dad, my dad was an alcoholic also, I never saw him touch a drop, I really do not know if he was in AA or not, he died when I was 19.

A couple of quick things I would like to share, show up to the meeting at least 15 minutes early and give your self some time after the meeting.

Do not concentrate on what is different between you and the other people there, focus on what you have in common with them.

Ask some one about what a sponsor is and if they think having one is a good idea and why.

I have not bitten any one at my meetings in the past month and a half so I don't think you will need to worry about that..... unless the moon is full!!! LOL

If you are nervous/scared do not worry about it, every person in the rooms today was scared crapless going in there the first time.

If you do not like the meeting you attend for what ever reason go to others, you will find they all get to be darn good with time.

Always keep in mind that you have an advantage over the average drunk that walks in the rooms for the first time..... your dad showed you that AA works!

Welcome to SR and please feel free to PM me if you want. I will be leaving pretty soon but will respond first thing tomorrow.

Oh yea one thing I left out, you will hear the term "Old Timers", it has nothing to do with age, it has to do with length of sobriety and a degree of respect, your dad with 35 years was certainly an Old Timer.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Tazman53. I don't really fear going to the meeting, I fear the permanent loss of my "old friend", the bottle. I'm hoping that I can begin to do and enjoy some of the things I used to do, which have gradually been replaced by alcohol.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I fear the permanent loss of my "old friend", the bottle
There are worse things in life. Keep drinking and you'll find that out.

Congrats for making a decision on going to AA. It's a great program. I tired quitting on my own umpteen times, and always relapsed and ended up back worse than I started. It wasn't until I immersed myself in the program that I found sobriety and serenity.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks GlassPrisoner. I actually quit drinking last year, and remained sober for about 7 weeks. Christmas came along in the 7 week, and I was unable to make it thru the holidays. I had this incredible sense of guilt, or shame, or something after the relapse. I'm convinced of two things now: I cannot keep drinking for rest of my life, and I cannot quit without help.
This is truly a great forum. I look forward to participating here for many years to come. I'll let y'all know how my 1st meeting goes.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, irvp99 -

look forward to getting to know you, good luck at your meeting! blessings, k
Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Congratulations!!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Irv I look forward to hearing how the meeting went, trust me when I say in my last few years of drinking the bottle went from my friend to my life, everything I did was just to drink.

Like you I had quit doing everything except drinking, the bottle had replaced it all, once the fog clears, you get active in AA, get a sponsor and start working the steps you will find that everything you quit doing because of drinking will come back only they will be better sober then they were when drinking.... well it was for me anyhow..... once I got myself headed in the right direction even things that went wrong were easier to deal with sober.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Irv! CONGRATS on your great courage & dealing with this!

It seems most get a bit something different from AA, it would take me a week to convey it all.

I can say, meetings differ greatly. It took me some time to find the meetings I prefer most.

My experience has been men's stags tend to have the best sobriety & offer the most.

LOVE to hear more from you!!!