Notices

New Person

Old 02-02-2007, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Person

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic, but I do know that I have a drinking problem. While I don't drink every day, when the opportunity presents itself, for example, when I don't have to be any where the next day, I drink -- mostly on weekends. I rarely drink two days in a row. I sometimes drink every other day.

I have an anxiety disorder that, after a night of drinking, leaves me feeling terribly anxious -- so much so that, when hungover, I vow to never drink again. Of course, the next day, when I'm feeling better, I do it all over again.

Anyway, I drank Thursday. Normally I'd drink again on Saturday -- drinking is the only thing that allows me to relax. But I know it's not good for me. And genetically -- my mom was chemically dependant, but no longer is. My dad is an practicing alcoholic.

I'm thinking about going to a meeting. I've been to few in the past. I've contacted a former therapist and hope to arrange an appointment soon. I want to stay sober this weekend. I told my wife this. She was pretty blunt, telling me she's heard that before. She has.

The more I write, the more I think I probably am an alcoholic.

Thanks for listening,

"Gomez"
Old 02-02-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Welcome to SR GOMEZ

There is one question to ask yourself , Is your life becoming unmanageable because of your addiction? If your answer is a big YES, You Might want to start the recovery process. You said your wife is starting to be affected by your behavior ie. not having confidence in you becoming sober. Start going to some meetings again and keep posting here, there is alot if info inside. I used to say bad things have not happened YET becuase of my drinking, THEN the YETS started happening. I'm so happy I got HELP.

Work Hard and Enjoy Life.. NED
Old 02-02-2007, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

gomez
I have an anxiety disorder that, after a night of drinking, leaves me feeling terribly anxious
i had the same thing... the twinge, the bit'o shakes, the feeling of impending doom, and oh that dreaded anxiety...the fix... yep, more booze, then more, then more, then more... i was hopeing that it would some day lead to less booze, less booze, less booze.... for me, and many others, i found it didnt work that way... after years of thinking it would all work itself out... i was well into alcoholism addiction far to deep... in fact... bottomsville... i had to put it all down for good... then all the feelings that went with it simmered way way down... til almost nil...

gomez, welcome to SR...

please do yourself first, then wifey a big favor... nip it, nip it, nip it while you have a chance... its called alcoholism... not alcoholwas'm

good wishes gomez.. hey, is your wifes name morticia?... lol!... just a little levity... life can be good booze free...

xxoo, rz
Old 02-02-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, gomez. nice to meet you! keep posting. blessings, k
Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Gomez, stick around and thibhs will get clearer.

Kevin
Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you have joined us...Welcome!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Gomez, glad you're here.

You're not sure if you're an alcoholic? I've learned in the last two years that if you even think you might be an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic. Sorta like "looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, so it must be a duck". Normal drinkers don't even question alcoholism, it simply isn't an issue for them.

For me, it wasn't how much I drank, it was the mental obsession that compelled me to drink until I was drunk. It's the first drink, not the 12th that kicks the obsession into gear. You don't need to be a daily drinker to be an alcoholic.

I had a wife who thought I had a drinking problem. I say "had" because she's gone now, and so is the home and family we had together. It's not too late to achieve sobriety. Nobody ever died from NOT taking a drink, but there are plenty of good people who are no longer here because they chose their addictions.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Many of us did not understand what addiction and alcoholism was until we got here. Glad you found us.

Hope you discover quickly wether your an alcoholic or not, only you can decide that.

Kevin
Old 02-02-2007, 11:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BBQBOY View Post
There is one question to ask yourself , Is your life becoming unmanageable because of your addiction? If your answer is a big YES, You Might want to start the recovery process. You said your wife is starting to be affected by your behavior ie. not having confidence in you becoming sober. Start going to some meetings again and keep posting here, there is alot if info inside. I used to say bad things have not happened YET becuase of my drinking, THEN the YETS started happening. I'm so happy I got HELP.

Work Hard and Enjoy Life.. NED
I like to think I drink *because* my life is unmanagable. This, I suspect, is the kind of thinking that alcoholics employ as an excuse to continue drinking.

Thanks for commenting,

Gomez
Old 02-02-2007, 11:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Welcome Gomez, glad you're here.

For me, it wasn't how much I drank, it was the mental obsession that compelled me to drink until I was drunk. It's the first drink, not the 12th that kicks the obsession into gear. You don't need to be a daily drinker to be an alcoholic.
It's definitely an obsession with me. If I'm not drinking, I'm thinking about it.

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I had a wife who thought I had a drinking problem. I say "had" because she's gone now, and so is the home and family we had together. It's not too late to achieve sobriety. Nobody ever died from NOT taking a drink, but there are plenty of good people who are no longer here because they chose their addictions.
I lost a good friend a few years ago, and a brother almost two years ago -- both alcohol related.

I want to quit, but right now it seems impossible. I know I can though, I was sober for several years in my twenties. I just have to figure out how.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.

"Gomez"
Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just wanted to thanks everyone for the warm welcome
Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

gomez...
I like to think I drink *because* my life is unmanagable. This, I suspect, is the kind of thinking that alcoholics employ as an excuse to continue drinking.
... we have a winner!... you bet gomez... it wasnt life... its the booze, and the thinking... go for it gomez... and say hi to uncle fester...

were root'n for you...

were creepy and were spooky, were the alk'y family... sorry, couldnt help that...

as we say.. were not a glum lot...

all good wishes gomez........................ xxoo, zip
Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Gomez_Addams View Post
I want to quit, but right now it seems impossible. I know I can though, I was sober for several years in my twenties. I just have to figure out how.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.
Impossible? If anyone in AA can do it, so can you. Abstinance is a great way to start, then maybe consider AA for further help.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Stick aroung Gomez and keep talking, don't beat yourself up.

Kevin