Notices

Hello I am new - any advise

Old 01-26-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello I am new - any advise

Hello I am new here. I'm in my mid 20's female and have been an alcoholic for 8 years. My relationship has broken up because of my drinking and I am desperately sad, I am also ashamed of the way I treated my ex partner due to my drinking (who is now happy with someone else) I drink every other day - lots of strong lager - no idea why I have to

I told my doctor about my concerns a couple of years ago and he just told me to keep a diary of my drinking habits. I self reffered myself to a drugs centre and they have told me that there is medication available that stops cravings - does anyone know anything about this? Does it work? I am about to go to my first AA meeting tomorrow? As I drink almost every day would it be good to go to one say 5 times a week?

Thanks for any help. I think I will like it here.

x
Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Hello Gremlinaah, and welcome -

i usually send pretty much the same post to new younger members - so here goes...

my daughter is 22, and suffered with alcohol and drug addiction since she was about 17, until she found recovery 120 plus days ago.

it affected her in school, relationships, finances, and she kept finding herself in and out of trouble with the law - poor decision making due to her disease. her health was starting to be poor, and she was suffering from depression and guilt.

she went through rehab and now lives in a sober living halfway house. she has a part-time job and some money in the bank. she has new friends and a great support group through daily aa meetings, some meeting just for younger people. she wakes up everyday and does her best to do the next right thing. she now feels she has her YOUTH BACK. she laughs and plays and goes out and socializes. she stays away from her past using friends, and spends time with other folks working good aa programs. she has choices, self respect, and peaceful days again. we (her family) are very proud of her.

addiction does not discriminate against age. you're smart to be recognizing your challenge at a young age. recovery is possible. please don't be afraid to continue to ask for the help you need, from family and professionals. i wish you peace and happiness in your recovery.

and yes, daily aa meetings are a great idea - no such thing as too many meetings!

blessings, k
Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gremlin,

Welcome and I am glad to hear that you are making a decision to take care of yourself.

I think there are drugs to help with cravings, but I don't have any personal knowledge of how well they work. I am not an AA person but I am sure others will be along who can advise you on that. What I would say is that it takes work every day - physically, mentally and spiritually, to stay sober.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lurker

welcome

I to am not familure with the drugs to reduce the cravings, but here the do help. The first step you have done, and that is admitting there is a problem. It is then just one day at a time. AA meetings are a good thing too. They will help you relize that you are not alone, and there is someone out there that has been through what you are going through. Good luck, and chat often.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to as many AA meetings as possible. I've done 108 meetings so far in a little over 90 days.

It works. It really does.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lots of good advice, most rehab and detox centers reccommend going to AA, getting a sponsor and doing at a minimum of 90 meetings in 90 days. The reason behind the 90 in 90 I have heard is research has shown that in order to break an old pattern and establish a new one takes about 90 days.

I owe my life to AA, I drank for 40 years and tried everything except AA to stop for the last 10 of those.

Simply be honest with yourself, have an open mind and follow directions, that is what I did and here I am now, relapse free, happy, sober and free of the urge/need to drink, 130 days sober.

In regards to the anti-craving medication, I was on revia and I quit taking it after about 7 days, I did not notice a bit of difference, but I was following directions very well then. I am sure they help some folks more then others, so go with what you feel helps.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of welcome and support - it means a lot. I don't know any other drinkers - just me...

I do have a question thouh - how do I find an AA sponsor - I am going alone to my first meeting tomorrow?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gremilinaah,

I would not rely on medication to cure you of self-medication.

Without changing the pain you feel that makes drinking a palatable alternitive, you will continue to crave drinking.

Without removing the influx of toxic people and toxic situations you will look for medication, if it is alcohol.

It's easy to quit drinking. It's a lot harder to stay quit!

I have changed my life, gotten rid of toxic friends and toxic situations, and avoid mean spirited people that take pride in putting others down
Old 01-26-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Originally Posted by Gremlinaah View Post
- how do I find an AA sponsor -

At your first meeting, when given the opportunity, raise your hand, introduce yourself (traditionally by first name) and tell the group you need a sponsor. Traditionally it is better to have a sponsor of the sane gender. If it's like any of the many, many meetings I attended, you'll at least find a temporary sponsor, somene to see you through the first days and weeks of your new life.
All my best,
Stagebear
Old 01-26-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome, Grem, You've come to the right place for support.

Keep comming back!!!!!!! Best wishes in your recovery. Hope3.