Notices

Craving. Physical or mental?

Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving. Physical or mental?

How do I know if my body is having cravings for alcohol? I have gone without drinking longer than a day, but I really want to get in tune with what my body is doing without drinking. Is my mind making my body crave or is my body making my mind crave?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lurker

HUh?

With me I think it is a little of both. I know when I am drive home from w@rk heading to what would have been mass consumption of alcoholo. My mouth will begin to water. It is getting better all the time, but it still does. To me this is just like Pavlov's dogs. The mentle part that little voicew that tries to convince me that just 1 or 2 drinks will be okey.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, that at this point, it will be both. You will be feeling the physical cravings and withdrawls for the first few days. After that, it will become mostly a mental thing. That is why I found it important to make a lot of changes in my life.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link full of info

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

That is to the top sticky post in our Alcoholism Forum

The 2nd sticky is our personal stories on withdrawals
Also full of info.

Come on over and read for awhile..
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

For me, withdrawal causes cravings(any lapse of use for me caused withdrawal, including sleeping). The physical "craving" was easily identifiable and symptomatic- anxiety, shakes, etc. I believe that is almost purely physical. The desperation to get rid of those symptoms, for me,caused mental craving.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

With me the physical craving is long gone, when I was drinking it stayed with me all the time. When I was drinking it was a combonation of physical craving and a mental obsession, I would watch the clock and about an hour before it was time to get off work I would really start to crave a drink.

When I would try and stop drinking before I finally quit the physical craving would last a few days, but the mental obsession got worse and worse until finally I gave in and had a drink, the second I had a drink the physical craving would kick into over drive and I would have another drink followed by many more.

The way I understand it is the following which applies only if you are an alcoholic:

1. Mental obsession = Thinking about how nice a drink with be all the time.
2. Physical craving = Taking that first drink kicks it in causing an immediate need for another drink and another.........
3. Spiritual weakening = The obsesseion and craving breaks down the spirit to the point where alcohol is King, it becomes all.

The obsession leads to the first drink, the first drink leads to the craving for more, and the spirit continues to break down leading to further obsession and craving for alcohol.

The only way to stop this cycle I have found for me is what AA has taught me, building my spirituality lessens my mental obsession to pick up that first drink, as long as my spirituality is strong enough I will not pick up that first drink and as a result the physical craving for another drink will not kick in which will lead to strengthening of my spirituality.