Notices

Hello and what can I do

Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello and what can I do

I have to say I just signed up today and all I have been doing is reading post and topics, I have tried to quit drinking but every time I always found a reason to go back to it, and the truth am I do enjoy drinking but it is getting out of control.

I am not sure really where to start I am really nervous about going to AA meetings, and I am not really sure who to talk to about this. I just have the feeling when I wake up that I would like to have a beer instead of coffee, and to many times I find myself in places where I don’t want to drink but I do anyway. I just feel like I am really lost and not sure where to look.

Thank you again for reading
Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome! I've only been here for a few weeks, but this is where I started my journey to stop drinking. This is a good starting point.

I enjoy drinking, too. And it got out of control. When drinking, I have done things I would never do sober, I've had to clean up alcohol-induced messes that I've made of relationships, I've had way too many hangovers and guilt feelings for drinking, and I came about 2 glasses of water away from getting a DUI a few years ago.

I think everybody's nervous about joining something that they're unfamiliar with. I can tell you from first-hand experience, though, that going to meetings can help you realize that you're not the only one going through this, and you don't have to try to do it on your own.

You're moving in the right direction.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Going to AA meetings made me nervous too, until I found that we're all there for the same reason, and that I had many experiences similar to those of other alcoholics. I'm almost two years sober, and can assure you that it's a great life to live.

I enjoyed drinking too, until it turned from fun into a nightmare. If you think you have a problem, you probably do.

Nobody ever died from going to an AA meeting that I'm aware of, but there are plenty who die from alcoholism. I hope you make the choice to give AA a try.

Scott
Old 01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Troy,

There are many ways to deal with alcoholism and we have a list of recovery programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

What I would say to you is that you need to be incredibly motivated to stop drinking and you need to know it takes complete commitment from you. You can change your life and we can offer lots of support.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The hardest part of today was I found myself wanting to just quit reading and go have a drink, I have been fight this all day, i have been trying to keep busy to keep my mind off of it but it is so hard. It took me all day just to sign up and another hour just to make this post i am just really scared.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Troy,

You are not alone and I know how scared I was when I knew I had to stop drinking. I couldn't imagine life without alcohol but I knew I couldn't continue drinking anymore. What worked for me at the beginning was changing my routines. I did things differently at the times of the day when I would have been drinking. I made specific plans and stayed away from people who were drinking, at least for awhile.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery. You are defineatly not alone in the way you feel. We all like to drink or whatever our poison was. Thats why we did it. At least in the beginning. When the consequences out weighed the pleasure, it was no longer as much fun. When it became something we had to do and couldnt stop, it became a problem. I would suggest checking out a few AA meetings. Keep an open mind when you go, and check out a few different meetings too if you can. AA has saved many lives. In recovery it does get to a point where you dont have to fight any more. The obsession to drink does go away. If you let it.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
When the consequences out weighed the pleasure, it was no longer as much fun. When it became something we had to do and couldnt stop, it became a problem.
Very well put. I competely agree.

Thanks Time2Surrender.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on seeking a healthy sober future!

Welcome to SR!