Notices

Feeling Depressed

Old 01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Depressed

Hi -

I'm Gina and I'm an alcoholic/addict.

I am feeling extremely depressed today. (64 days sober)

I don't understand this feeling. Has anyone felt this way?

I have been going to my meetings, talking to my sponsor, reading the BB; but for some reason, today I feel extremely depressed and unmotivated and tired.

Has anyone felt this way??

Gina
Old 01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. I think it hits most of us, especially early in recovery. From my own personal experience I have found the best thing to do is try and stay active. Even something as simple as going for a walk can do miracles. I like going to the gym. Whatever you do, dont isolate. Keep going to meetings. This too shall pass. If it lingers on too long, talk to your doctor.Congrats on 64 days. Thats something to be proud of.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gina,

I think that the recovery journey is often a bumpy road. I know that for me, early on, I had a lot of guilt and shame to deal with and my moods were up and down because of that. If you have been feeling good up until this point, maybe it is just something that you have to get through. One thing I learned is that feeling down sometimes is okay because I know it won't last. It will pass.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna and Time2Surrender.

Yes, I was feeling pretty good up to this point. I went to a 1:00 afternoon meeting just to get myself out of bed. Right now, I'm suppose to call my sponsor, (our nightly call), and I don't feel like it. I feel so miserable!!!! I try to be positive. I'm a very upbeat person but right now I feel like sleeping for a long time!

Thanks again for your support.

G
Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

I started using sleep as an escape. I wasn't getting drunk any more, I still wasn't all that happy in the begining, and I had to "get away".

Getting out of myself always helps me. I call my sponsor to see how she is doing!! Takes the focus off me.

I think if you make that call, you will feel better!! A least for a little bit!! LOL Think of this as just part of your recovery experience. You will be able to comfort someone else later!!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Gina. I know that there have been many posts here about 30 day marks being difficult for some people - 30, 60, 90.

We wish you the best. When I feel crappy, posting usually helps me, or I call my mentor. Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to sR...
Congratulations on your sober time!

Have you heard of PAWS?

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Blessings
Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Sometimes when I am really tired like tha tI have to allow myself to rest..Its OK ..really..take a nap...helps me if i am tired..

love north
Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Gina- I'm on day 64, too! I have had some really hard days- evenings have been bad- I want my wine so bad. I'm going to see the dr. about something for anxiety attacks... We can keep each other going. Great job so far!!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I think what you're experiencing is natural, Gina. Hang in there and remember that no feeling you ever had has killed you, so no feeling ever will.

When the anesthesia is gone, the feelings resurface. The good part is that they can now be dealt with honestly.

I have a friend who, when feeling depressed, asks himself, "Now, what would I be doing if I weren't feeling depressed?" and does whatever that might be: get up, shower, go to work, go to a meeting, call his sponsor, eat, go to the bathroom, etc.

One foot in front of the other makes for positive forward motion...

It's the good news/bad news paradox of recovery: the good news is you get all your feelings back again; the bad news is you get all your feelings back again...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Overheard shared in tonights meeting:

"The good news is that I am experiencing feelings/emotions. The bad news is that I am experiencing feelings/emotions"

But yeah, it's normal. We expect everything to be perfect just because we put the plug in the jug.

Your body is still adjusting. Read "Under the influence" and some of the web sites Carol points out from time to time.