Notices

Is addiction hereditary???

Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is addiction hereditary???

Hello everyone.....I am new to this website and wanted to get some opinions and experiences.

I was doing some research on addiction and didn't get much information for what I was looking for so maybe you guys can help!!!!

My mother has been an alcoholic for years.......I have always read about addiction being hereditary and have stayed away from it all together for fear of becoming like my mother. I have never thought about addiction being passed on to my children because we live a normal lifestyle and I figured if they grow up in a loving and addiction free environment they would not be as likley to become addicts as me. At luch today my friend was talking about how it can skips generation and that freaks me out so give me your input please!!!!!

Thanks you all!!!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

From what I have seen in my own family...Yes

What text books say doesn't matter to me when I have my own study group.
I am from a family of 11 children. Of the 11 we have all had our day in the sun. Of the 11, five still shows signs of having a problem. Three of us have stopped all together. (one of the 3 because of health issues) One passed away and 2 tend to control it to just social drinking. A babysitter and a sober driver, those two would let go of any control and drink the night away as well. Of my own 4 children, 3 show signs of having a problem and they all grew up with almost no alcohol in the house their whole lives.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Not starting is always a good choice when you see the risks and the problems that alcohol can cause.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I come from a non drinking background.
Our religion does not condone drinking.

And yet my only sibling and I are alcoholics.
We both quit years ago.

Of our 5 adult children 2 are.

I have 4 older Grandchildren who do not drink.
1 had problems before he quit..3 never started.

As far as I know..alcoholism is considered to
be part genetic part enviromental by experts.

I personally believe that alcoholism is a disease.
I base that on a book "Under The Influence"

Here is a link to excerpts

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Blessings
Old 01-17-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Evidence suggests it is hereditary, but it is yet to be proven.

Statistics do show that folks with one alcoholic parent are (I think this the right number) 10 times more likely to become alcoholics.

If I knew way back when what I know now, I would never have tasted alcohol, ever.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Both of my parents are alcoholics, as is my sister. I am an alcoholic.

On 1/8, I stopped drinking, and while the urge and opportunity are both there, I haven't had a drop since.

As much as genetics might have to do with it, I believe there is there is also a psycho-emotional aspect as well. Personally, it's been easy as far as the physical effects are concerned: One night of night-sweats, a couple of nights' insomnia, and I seem to be ok now. But I do want to drink. More than anything because I'm bored. And anxious. But since Monday the streets have been icy and my work's closed, so there's not much else to do but watch TV. I feel that because I'm not drinking I should be actively engaged in something else. So I eat. And drink water. When the weather gets better, I have to get busy finding things to do besides find an excuse to drink.

So, my slant on your questions is this: Heredity may have some or a lot to do with drinking, but you are still you. Find the help you need to stop drinking for good, but consider other things you may want to change as well, things that have nothing to do with your genes, or drinking.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My dad was an alcoholic as was my husband's mother. None of my siblings have addictions. Neither my husband nor I are addicts. My 20 year old daughter is, so in our family it did skip a generation. My daughter was warned about addiction being part of her genetic make-up and I always talked openly about drugs and alcohol with her. Yet, like most young people, she experimented and got hooked (opiates). Marle
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

never heard the "skips a generation" idea. but i believe it is hereditary, even though - i understand it has not been proven.

smart move to keep it out of your life.

blessings, k
Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If one goes with the genetic idea
don't forget recessive genes count too!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have a look at "Beyond the Influence" it summarizes the research on this issue very succinctly and in plain english. Heck even I understood what they were talking about!

Peace, Levi
Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

its funny...my father has been alcoholic my whole life....while my mum was alive-i was sortof mimicking HER behaviours-re'drinking...socially-1 cocktail and i was outta there.with her influence i knew the meaning of 'ENOUGH'...
even at my 'worst' with my mum around(and father kicked out)i drank probably half a bottle with my mum on a friday night, talking about how stressfull my college week was....maybye a nip on saturday.
anyway..she died when i was 19 (im from australia so i was of legal age 18 when i was drinking wine with her)after that-i am an alco to rival the father that my mum kicked out because of drinking...its like i lost herpositive and gained himnegative..(winos whine)..sorry
Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Make The Most of 2nd Chances

I come from a long line of alcoholics. My father's side is especially bad. My uncle has lost everything and now basically is homeless. I think that people can be predisposed due to genetics to becoming addicts, though with alcohol, I think it can snatch up about anyone who tempts it. My 2 cents.

jooser
Old 01-18-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My father was a recovered alcoholic, I never saw him drink, we never had alcohol in my house when I was growing up, my parents were fantastic, my upbringing was good.

Guess what? My little brother and I both are alcoholics. They may not be able right now to prove it is genetic, but from what I have seen first hand and heard it sure seems that way.