Notices

can you have too much recovery? help.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
fast eddie

Thumbs up can you have too much recovery? help.

i havent been to sr for a month,the last time i had just came back from a meeting. my wife got realy mad and told me to pack my **** and get out.so i did. im having a hard time with this as she is the one that got together with the court and decided i needed to go to treatment and aa.once i got here i realised i realy needed to be here! im trying to do what i need to do but this is realy getting in my head i need some advice if any one can help.im having to go to the library to use a computer so i cant reply riteaway thanks in advance eddie
Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Eddie. Keep working on your recovery. Everything else will work itself out. One way or another.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Your initial question was

can you have too much recovery?
Can you be too healthy? Can you be too sane? Can you be too happy?

Can you have too much SERENITY? Can you have too much COURAGE? Can you have too much WISDOM?

I don't think so! I hope I never get so "well" that I con myself into believing I no longer need AA/SR or any of the people in both who can recognize and call me on my sh$$!

Don't worry about not being able to get back to us right away, fstedy...SR is open 24/7!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ok eddie, glad you are sober.

Please bear in mind, that just because we stop drinking, everything isn't going to be all right, right away. It takes time to clear up the 'wreckage of our past'. During our drinking careers we hurt and abused many, espicially family and our partners.

Continue going to your meetings, to your therapist, (if you have one) and working with your sponsor. It's baby steps Eddie. Hopefully your wife will also get therapy for herself. We put our spouses and mates thru hell.

Your actions, not your words, will show her you are changing. It will take time. The best thing you can do for you and her is to concentrate on your own recovery. Working on you. Getting you well. Down the line, other problems will work out one way or another.

Keep posting when you can, and let us know how you are doing, we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
fast eddie

i guess i ment can you spend too mutch time on reovery ? its all i think about .thats suposed to be good but at times i think im dooing it wrong.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you are not alone, I wasn't coming here today, because I felt I was maybe overdoing it. I came anyway and you made me think "well I certainly spent enough time abusing, I need to keep focused on my goals and work equually hard at staying clean. you helped me. keep up the good work on yourself and things will even out.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
you are not alone, I wasn't coming here today, because I felt I was maybe overdoing it. I came anyway and you made me think "well I certainly spent enough time abusing, I need to keep focused on my goals and work equually hard at staying clean. you helped me. keep up the good work on yourself and things will even out.
How much time did you spend on drinking and drugging? I know for me, I would have hitch hiked to New Jersey for my drugs! So that means if I put even half of that time and energy toward recovery, I am a winner.

Keep your focus on your recovery, Eddie. The rest will work itself out. Honest.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im sorry your struggling with your wife Eddie....

I dont know the answers from your side of the playing field, but I can tell you a little about how I felt on the other side.

It was more a bottom for me when he got sober, Yes I wanted him to be sober and I wanted him to work his program.... but I also wanted to be important to him, I wanted the man I fell in love with back, I wanted to feel safe and appreciated. I did not understand that he had nothing to give me at the time.

He went to meetings all the time, then out with his AA friends, conferences, guys AA weekends and I felt excluded. I would try to talk to him and I did not "get it" cuz I was not an alcoholic... he would not talk to me about his recovery and even when he loosened up some and did talk I struggled because it was always about him. It was killing me.

Maybe its best to be seperate while your in the early stages. She might want to think about going to Al-anon or getting some help too... and take this time to work on herself. It sounds like neither of you have anything to give to the other right now, so being together might feel like salt in the wound to her.

Hope that helps some.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I'm not looking for work, or spending time with my kids, I'm helping another alkie and/or working on my recovery.

And actually, a lot of the time, my recovery comes first. I've beent old to focus on that, and everything else will fall in line, eventually.