Notices

Surrender

Old 01-10-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Surrender

The last few meetings I have been to, surrender has been the topic. This is a blessing for me, a gift.

I heard something that really stuck. "The defination of surrender is to move to the winning side"

I'd love to heard your thoughts and shares on surrender.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. I am a community greeter at SR. Just dropping you a note to say welcome and hope you find the experience strength and hope here that you are looking for.

If at any time you have questions and are unsure of who to ask, the greeters are identified by their names being in bold green and the moderators are in bold blue. We are all very open to questions or concerns.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Brandi,

It took me 5 months of sitting against the back wall at my AA meetings, shaking and spilling coffee on myself, before I finally had the willingness to surrender. For 27 years I'd controlled my life and manipulated people, so I wasn't about to turn my will over to anyone else.

Recently I heard someone define what they thought a winner was, as used in the phrase "stick with the winners". The winners are the ones you see frequently at meetings, who are working the program, being of service, and have something you want. Exactly what I needed to hear.

I hope you continue to get something you need out of your meetings.

Scott
Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

I'm the mom of a recovering alcoholic/addict. Surrender is HUGE for me. I've always felt I had to (at least TRY to anyway) control things, people. As I learn to let go, I learn how much others have to offer - my daughter, my husband, my alanon friends, my family, etc. I also put less expectations on myself and others, so things are more simple and much more rewarding.

Hope this helps a bit. Glad to hear that your meetings are so meaningful for you, K
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was 5 or 6 months clean and struggling with steps 1,2, and 3. And very close to relapse. I did not get the "Surrender" thing. And was certainly not willing to surrender my will and my life to anyone. LOL. Even with my screen name here at SR, I just could not grasp it. One of my struggles was due to the wreckage of my past, nobody would hire me. My sposor kept saying...."Mike.....Just turn it over to God" (with this smile on his face) Man, I hated that. I would always reply.... "Oh yeah, is God gonna pay my bills?" Well, of course not. He will only do for me what I cannot do for myself. That was back in 2005. I stayed clean. I never did find a job. Nope. Instead, I got my contractors license reinstated, and started my own paint company. Musta been Gods will. Today, I am over 19 months clean, happier than I have ever been in my life. Anytime the topic of "Surrender" comes up at a meeting, or here at SR, I am all over it. I could post a lot more about surrender and all the possitive things that have happened to me since I got clean and started actually working the steps, but I am late for a meeting.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stairmaster

Brandi...this is how my sponsor explained it to me.......I cant drink, and I cant not drink…that’s a dilemma…lack of power…until I recognize this truth about me, there is no need for a higher power…Once I admit this truth…then i become willing to discover this higher power through the remaining eleven steps. And that power will do for me what I can NOT do for myself…and the work goes on, because I will drink again if I stop…powerless over alcohol.....
Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandiK View Post
"The defination of surrender is to move to the winning side"
Thanks for giving me something more to think about.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

The 'Just for Today' is Surrender (Jan 13) and the action is; 'I admit that I am powerless over my addiction. I will surrender to win.'

It also suggests that we surrender out loud, I loved doing that. Surrender to win each day.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

surrender pops up in meetings and it always gives me strength to learn more about it.

it's a hard thing for me to do.

but you gain the ultimate in strength by surrendering...and i hope to keep that in mind.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Surrender wasn't to difficult for me this time around. I knew I was whipped, I was at the jumping off place. I knew that there had to be something better tthan what I had. I have found that and so much more through AA.

Scot
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Surrender wasn't to difficult for me this time around. I knew I was whipped
Ditto. I hit bottom so hard I bounced !