Notices

The Doomed

Old 01-07-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Doomed

are there people who we might classify as doomed?

addiction is sometimes defined as a chronically relapsing condition. We know that there are is a link between the different DRD4 genotypes and risk taking, one of the components of addiction, so me might be able to say that addicts are born and they will stay addicts.

However, here's the rub. It is also known that genes only influence our phenotype, they are like loose blueprints that can be either followed or not depending on a huge range of environmental factors.

I personallly think that there is a huge section of the populace, that because of their socio-economic positions and the lack of social mobility combined with a risk taking genome can be classified as doomed.

The trick is finding out who they are.

to see more, to hear "The Siren Call of The Doomed" if you like, see my blog

on myspace its called weejimmykerr
Old 01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was once an "alcoholic of the hopeless variety".

Whether it be from genes, environment, or a combination thereof , I do not know.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I personallly think that there is a huge section of the populace, that because of their socio-economic positions and the lack of social mobility combined with a risk taking genome can be classified as doomed.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree with your theory...many of the most successful recovering addicts/alcoholics I've met in my 27 years of sobriety have been from what you would consider a lower socio-economic level of society.

The following is taken from the AA Big Book:

Chapter 5
How It Works
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average.

There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.