Notices

What should I expect?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What should I expect?

Hi!
This is my first step to change my life around.
I am a 41 year old alcoholic and heavy smoker. I have been drinking heavvily now for 10-15 years. I drink about a half bottle of 40% alcohol every night somtimes as much as a whole bottle. I have all the classic signs in the day time like the shakes, diareah, and high blood-preassure. It started by me touring extensivly with various Rock bands of international caliber as a drummer. Too many parties etc. you get the picture. Never did any drugs though, just alcohol. I am now married with 3 wonderful kids and a beutiful wife, still my behavior is just escalating. I have retirerd from show business, and have come to a place in my life where I will be able to take some time of starting Wednesday Jan. 10. I have decided to stay in bed for a couple of days to sweat it out cold turkey and hopefully get it out of my system. Any help with what I should expect during these days and nights would be very helpful! Thanks so much!
Sincerely,
Backbeater
Old 01-06-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You really should talk to your dr before stopping alcohol because detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.

This is a thread that will give you lots of information, in our own words, what it was like to quit:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html
Old 01-06-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Backbeater,

Welcome to SR and as Anna says get all the help and advice you can. Keep posting and reading there is loads of great info and loving support here from your peers.

Kevin
Old 01-06-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and welcome to SR!!

I think because of the ammount and the years of
drinking...you really would be wise to see a doctor.

Being safe is just smart thinking.

Congratulations on deciding to quit!!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

Congratulations on your decision!

I agree that it wouldn't hurt to talk to your Dr. before trying the cold turkey route. There are a lot of things that he might be able to suggest that could ease that time. I have done the "do-it-yourself" route a couple of times and now looking backl I wish that I would have seen my Dr. for some help.

Read and post as much as you can, maybe even try to find some sort of 12 step program that you can attend in person.

I will pray for you,
Scott
Old 01-06-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

I agree with all that has been said. Definitely see a Doctor for a complete physical...

Good luck on your sobriety...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As the others say, the doctor can make it much easier for you. When I stopped, my doctor perscribed me a small amount of valium to take the edge off for the first few nights. It really helped me and it seems to be commonly perscribed for alcohol withdrawl and you won't become addicted to it after only a few days.

Also, I would not necessarily confine yourself to bed for the entire time except for the times that you feel you need to be there. It may be helpful to get up and at least try to "putter" around the house a little just to help pass the time more quickly and try to put your mind somewhere else if you are feeling up to it.

I went back and forth between bed, tv and internet the first couple of days. Sleep was a problem at first but I accepted that that was the way it was going to be and listened to some all-nite talk radio which I've always enjoyed (Coast to Coast is my fav).

It may not be the most pleasant thing you've ever experienced but the light at the end of the tunnel is only a few days away and your doctor can be a big help. In my case, it wasn't as bad as I thought is was going to be.

Good luck Skins and next we'll tackle the smokes (I've now got to kick that one as well)
Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tom, Pasadena here!

Welcome!

After drinking alcoholically for nearly 25 yrs., been sober for yrs now.

It can be done..........altho', I never thought so!

I attend meetings in your area every week.

Stick around!

Tom
Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I did the five day spin dry thing when I went from drinking what you are drinking to zilch. It was rough, but I made it. Mind you I only drank like that for under a year.

Lots of rest, water and vitamins and good food helped. After that any exercise, walking, biking, etc., was really good to clean out the residue.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-06-2007, 11:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, Backbeater! Welcome and congrats on taking that first step.

Look forward to getting to know you!

I agree that you should be careful of the detox - someone should be with you, just in case things get too rough for you.

Remember, one baby step at a time.

Hugs,
CS
Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey 'beater - just wondering how you're doing
Old 02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exclamation I'm doing it!!

Hey everybody!
Thanks so much for your concerns!
I am doing it. I took parts of your advice.
I did not consult a Doctor. Instead I cut out distilled liqueur completely, and I allow myself 2 beers per evening, then nothing but sleepy time-tea.
For the first 5 nights I didn't sleep at all, for the last 2 nights I started to sleep in periods of 1-2 hours at the time, staying awake for the same periods.
I've been on the wagon with one wheel for a week now!

I sleep fully clothed so I don't have to worry about soaking the bed with the night sweats. I just get up and change my clothes, much better!

Once I am back to sleeping more, it will be one beer / night, after that nothing. The funny thing is, even though I can have sudden "pangs" passing by my liquor store, by the end of the night I really don't miss it so much, and I feel a great source of pride and accomplishment!

I know I am not "sober". But now I remember what I was watching on TV last night, and I actually remember what I had for dinner,....Fantastic!
I'll keep on trucking, and my true goal is to not remember the last time I had a drink.

Coming up Feb.18 is my and my wife’s 10th wedding anniversary.
This is my gift to her!

Thank you all for your support!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow! That will really be an awesome anniversary present.

Good to see you are progressing
Old 02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

keep coming back. there's a lot of wisdom on these threads--keep reading. and happy anniversary!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

just wanted to say hello and welcome! keep posting, and take good care of yourself - k
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you!

Not sure if you saw my post about meetings in your area, may want to give it a try and see what you think about formal recovery.

It may save your life. Not to be downplayed.......

I note your post: "Coming up Feb.18 is my and my wife’s 10th wedding anniversary. This is my gift to her!"

It has been my experience, nobody ends up staying sober for somebody else, it needs to be for YOU.

If she benefits as well, AWESOME!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi 1-day.
Thank you for your reply!
Well it is for her and my family, but 1st and foremost for myself! I already feel so much better in the daytime, that is payoff enough for me! I have a VERY strong will once I put that side to it, I just never tried before. Where and when are the meetings taking place?
I am in the West Hills / Woodland Hills area
Thanks!
Backbeater
Old 02-02-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hiya,

Eeeeeek, I have one (1) thing to say.... apart from WELL DONE (2).
1). One or two beers escalates into 3 or 4 and then you go to a big party or whatever where you throw caution to the wind and get smashed!!!
Or it just builds.
Ask yourself why you came on to this site? I'm not critisising you for moderating but most true alcoholics cant moderate and it just gets heavier and heavier - oh, I've just re-read that it's a step down, good....

When you kick it for good? That'll suprise you're amigos - take up Kendo or knitting to really freak them out!!!!!
I cant drink sensibly. I'm 32 and if I'd been travelling with a rock band I could have managed it with a bit of fet and meth and benzos occasionally AND MORE BOOZE. But I've been managing it for years and I've realised life's SO much better without booze.
Scary isn't it? F***in right. My friends looked at me like I'd lost all reason.

Why dont you take some photos of yourself or maybe keep a diary of how good you feel without the booze!!!!!! As the days turn into weeks... look at your eyes. Look in the mirror at your face as the swelling from the poison decreases.

2). WELL DONE!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I too can be "strong willed". It has been my experience, and countless others who are sober in recovery, our "will" is in fact no good at all along these lines.

Lack of power is our delimma.

As alcoholics/addicts, if all we had to do was "strong will it", one could suggest that we would have done so LONG ago.

Thus: Lack of power is our dilemma.

We don't have the "power" to control or drinking, or for that matter quit.

I should tell you, it has taken me years to get a better graps of all this. You don't have to wait and learn through pain as I did!

Rather than fight this idea, have an open mind and realize it's our best thinking which got us here in the first place.

Re: the meeting, having been to thousands, one of the best meetings I have ever been to is in Van Nuys, behind Fatbuger very near Van Nuys and Ventura Blvd., on Monday @ 8:00 PM. I drive from Pasadena.

You will hear all about the lack of power/self will at the meeting.

Make a commitment to yourself!