Notices

Determining Alcoholic Level

Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Troyboy

Determining Alcoholic Level

I think I'm a functional alcoholic. I drink 5-6 beers every evening and I've done so for many years. I used to drink 1 pint to 750ml of Crown Royal every night, but I cut down to just beer about 3 years ago. Am I an alcoholic? If so, where do I start on my road to recovery?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Welcome to SR ts...

Only you can answer that question...

Is it affecting your life or the lives of others...

You just asking this question, makes me think that you may be, but only you can say...

If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you probably do...

Look inside yourself for the answer...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome to SR!

Here is info from the Center for Disease Control..

CDC.... Moderate Drinking..

What is a Standard Drink?

A standard drink is
one 12 ounce beer,
one 5 ounce glass of wine,
or one 1.5 ounce shot of distilled spirits
Each of these drinks contains about half an ounce of alcohol.

Is beer or wine safer to drink than hard liquor?

No. One 12 ounce beer has about the same amount of alcohol as one 5 ounce glass of wine, or one 1.5 ounce shot of liquor.

What is moderate drinking?

Based on current dietary guidelines, moderate drinking for women is defined as an average of 1 drink or less per day. Moderate drinking for men is defined as an average of 2 drinks or less per day USDA

Glad to see you are looking for answers to your drinking
Congratulations!!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you think alcohol is causing you problems in your life, with your relationships, job, health, then stopping drinking would be a good idea for you. It's up to you to decide if it's a problem or not.

And, if you want to stop, this is the right place to come for support and information.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's quite a few self tests on the internet. I don't have a link, but a quick google could fix this.

I do not know if you are alcoholic. A 6 pack a night is, IMO, at the very least heavy drinking. Then again, my best friend drinks a 6 pack and has no problems in his life, yet.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stairmaster

I had a dui, 2 divorces, 2 foreclosures, 2 job losses and I thought this was normal Sh** people go through. Never did I think that my case+ perday affected me. In AA I learned not only of my alcoholism but what life is like sober. WOW! Some people can drink to promote jovial times etc. These were far from jovial times for me and not normal. Normal people do not experience this sh@@, these were side effects of my drinking. Discover for yourself, it is a process.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've never found that when I drink 6 beers a day it's a problem. I will get home at around 6:00, drink a couple of beers, do some chores around the house and maybe drink a couple more beers. I'll then sit down to watch a little TV and have another two. After that comes dinner and I stop the drinks. Absolutely no hangover the next day. So I would say in the span of 4 to 5 hours 6 beers isn't much at all.
It's those times when I have alot more to drink (usually weekends) that I realize I'm an alchoholic. I wake up with a bad hangover and can't even enjoy spending time with my son and wife. My entire weekend is ruined and I feel depressed.
For me, I'm back to having between 4 and 6 beers a night and it seems to be working. I know this isn't the answer but it's a start. Everyone is different and only you will in the end decide if you have a problem