Notices

Day Two

Old 01-02-2007, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Two

Day Two...
I now remember how hard the first few days were the last time I quit. I have no choice but to quit again. My dream job starts on the 17th, and I have to choose between alcohol and fulfilling my dreams...

We think that my father may have cancer, and we find out one week from today. I'm scared to death, and hope that I can get through anything without the need for alcohol. I will need everyone's support yet again.

Congrats on six months, NYCGirl!!!

You rock!!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ****,

I am sorry to hear about your father, but yes, you can get through this and you will be stronger in the end.

Congratulations on your dream job!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Today I quit drinking. I am 72 years old and it is time. I don't drink a lot, 3 glasses of wine a day, but i drink every day and it is causing problems in my family. Also, it interferes with my sleep. Any advice or support, I will be grateful to hear.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi ****,

Thanks

Welcome back,

Sorry about your Dad, I'll keep you in my prayers, Stay strong for him if you can

Love to hear about the job if you want to share!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,
Congrats on Day 2 and on landing your dream job. This is your dream!!! Go for it!! Alcohol pales in comparison, doesn't it?

I'm also sorry to hear about your Dad and will keep him in my prayers. Many forms of cancer are now treatable and have good prognoses. Stay hopeful.

Hugs,
CS
Old 01-02-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR I'mready!

This place is full of supportive, helpful people with much good advice and experience in sobriety.

My best suggestion is to keep posting and keep reading and there's always support to be found here.

Hugs,
CS
Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back !

Just an observation, whatever you did last time didn't seem to work. Are you going to try something different ?

Remember the definition of insanity: Repeating the same behavior expecting different results.....
Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last time I didn't take myself seriously enough. I now realize that it's either the job or the booze. Toward the end, right before I gave in, I lost interest in the AA meetings because I wasn't getting any feedback. I would spill my guts, and then I would get, "Thank you Katie," in return. I am going to a Women for Sobriety meeting this Friday, which I hope I will enjoy and will help. I am going to try to go to meetings wheenever I feel like I need them. Also, I realized that a big reason I gave in last time is that it felt like it was the only thing I could do to relax. If time allow (which I doubt it will) I would like to take up yoga. If anyone else has any suggestions for ways to kick back and relax on the weekends without drinking, I would love to hear them.

Thanks all

Katie
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are trying again Katie!

Sorry to see you Dad is not well.

Keep in focus..you too can win over addiction.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR imready!

How are you feeling on your Day One?

If you start getting withdrawals..

Drink a lot of water.. aspirin for aches
hard candy for shakes
Cut out caffeine and eat a soft diet.

Let us know how you are doing
Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exclamation

FYI...
I copied the post from iamready
and the 2 replies to here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-imready.html

Please come over and reply.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I lost interest in the AA meetings because I wasn't getting any feedback. I would spill my guts, and then I would get, "Thank you Katie," in return.
****.. for me the meetings are to learn how to stay sober, react to myself, and life... the sayings "come early, stay late, get a sponser, get some numbers..." thats where i found i can open up...

happy to se your giving it a go again... and looking into other sources to keep clean and sober... whatever works...

and really, go for the job... it will shure beat hangovers anyday...

the weekends... try grab'n someone sober that has some quality, and put your two heads together...

sad to hear about your dad...

good wishes our friend.................... xxoo, rz
Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Are you with us today? Just get through those first few days.
We'll be here for you!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you've learned and grown **** and that's great. I had to find things to help me relax too because I had no clue how to do that. I use yoga too and also walking a lot, as much as possible. It's a great way to get exercise and leave the negative thoughts behind. The important thing is to find something because there will always be stresses in life.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by **** ma View Post
If anyone else has any suggestions for ways to kick back and relax on the weekends without drinking, I would love to hear them.
Get to as many AA meetings as possible. Shake hands. Get phone numers. When you're at home, call those phone numers. Even (especially) if you don't have any big problem you need to talk about. Call just to say "Hi".

Before you know it you'll have a large circle of sober friends who are no doubt already out there having fun on weekends, without drinking, and would be thrilled to have you join in.

Last edited by subliminalurge; 01-03-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you. I am on day three and eating EVERYTHING in sight. My mom had her boyfriend over today, and they were drinking wine in the living room, which bothered me, but not as much as my mom cleaning out the recyclables and pulling out an empty bottle of Stoli. I ran the bottle outside, and concentrated on my cooking. I was going to go to a Women for Sobriety meeting tonight, but it was cancelled. I was really looking forward to it...

I thank you all for your support.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yey ! You have an appetite !

I couldn't hold anything down for 4 or 5 days, then only in small amounts. Lots of Gatorade at first. Is your urine really dark ? (I know, gross....)

Today, at around 70 days, I am soooooo grateful for a healthy appetite. No more "choking" food down.

Hang in there. It gets better,
Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

****, just checking up on you!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi ****,

Keep going-you are doing great! A note about AA: it is full of people like ourselves who want "feedback" and all too often lots of people are in that zone rather than being in the moment and listening to what someone else might be saying. And, in AA there is that tradition of "no crosstalk".

What to do? I found for myself that it is really important to find one meeting that I really connected with and do my intense sharing there, where I knew everyone and they knew me. It is about 20 people, a round robin format (no speaker-someone starts and it goes around the room), and meets at 7:45 AM. If there is not one in your area, (ask at meetings) then enlist the aid of a person with strong AA connections and start one! Then volunteer to make the coffee and bring the cookies; the kind of support you are looking for will come your way.

Hugs,
Gianna
Old 01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi. Just wanted to let you know I am still sober. I forgot how emotionally intense the dreams were at the beginning. I brought my cats to the vet today, and it was stressful. That was all it took to make me want a drink. I asked my mom to get rid of, or at least hide her liquor. I walked by it today. It's everywhere and I can't stop thinking about it. However, I must admit, I am loving not waking up hung over. NYCGirl, thanks for keeping an eye out for me. Hugs.

On another note, I know everyone says to stay away from caffeine and sugar in the beginning, but I am craving it 10 times more than I did when I was drinking. I'm sure it cuts down the cravings, but I feel like I would rip my hair out without it.