Notices

soooo depressed

Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
boommer

soooo depressed

Hi everyone,I'm still here clean and sober,but I have been going through a tough time lately.I have been getting really bad anxiety and panic attacks,I cry at a drop of a hat even at work and I don't know what I'm crying about.The depression is getting worse and I don't see my counseler till Jan 17 so what can I do before then,NOTHING.My counseler can prescibe me something when I go see her(this will be my first appt.),but I don't want anything addictive.I have been to my doctor and they can't do anything else for me.I'm taking trazodone 50mg one everynight when I go to bed and that don't even help.I can hardly wait till I can stop crying for one day.Oh when I do have anxiety and panic attacks my heart beats out of my chest,is this normal?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Boommer....

I dont have any answers for you about what is normal or not, but I can tell you what I do when I feel like that.... I hit my knees long and hard and I hit the meetings long and hard.

I sure hope you feel better soon... My prayers are with you.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Boommer, glad to know that you're still with us clean and sober.

In my second month of sobriety I started to experience severe anxiety and panic attacks, and I understand what you mean about your heart coming out of your chest. For me it was normal, and strangely an EKG didn't turn up anything unusual about my heart. The solution for me was a non-addictive anti-anxiety med. My doctor prescribed EffexorXR, but your counselor will decide what might work best for you. Just remember that all anti-anxiety meds usually take awhile to be effective, so stick with it and don't give up hope.

If I can suggest anything it would be to call your counselor and let him/her know about the attacks, and ask if they can prescribe something sooner. In my case a nurse practitioner at my therapists office was able to get me on something right away, and the anxiety attacks stopped quickly.

Keep posting and let us know what happens. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Boomer,

Hang in there till you see your therapist. It may be possible that changing medications could help or it might be something that will pass with time.

Keep posting!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

If I can suggest anything it would be to call your counselor and let him/her know about the attacks, and ask if they can prescribe something sooner.
I agree with Astro...you shouldn't have to wait two weeks for some relief. Professionals are usually pretty careful not to give you something addictive, as long as you're honest with them about your alcoholism.

I never experienced "anxiety" until I quit drinking...I would get what I called "antsy"...then, I heard it described at a meeting as "free-floating anxiety." It helped when I could put a name to it...and, I think it must have just been a part of my early sobriety.

As for depression...even folks who aren't alcoholics experience a severe "let-down" after all the anticipation and excitement of the holidays.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by boommer View Post
Hi everyone,I'm still here clean and sober,but I have been going through a tough time lately.I have been getting really bad anxiety and panic attacks,I cry at a drop of a hat even at work and I don't know what I'm crying about.
Boomer. Hang in there. I used alcohol as a self-prescribed way to treat my anxiety for years. Sobriety can be tough because the bottle is no longer there to reduce the anxiety. I have no experience with meds but have found reduction iin caffeine intake and breathing exercises to be helpful.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know if you're a 12 stepper, but after my 3rd step anxiety, fear and depression all but vanished.

I still get these feelings from time to time, but not of the frequency and amplitude I did when I was drinking.

Hang in there, it gets better.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

I know what you are talking about. Without the alcohol to silence the emotions it can be quite an anxiety filled time. When the body detects the stress it prepares for action, fight or flight. There are all kinds of chemical changes that go on when this happens and increased heart rate is a major one. I try to exercise daily to get some of the stored up energy burned off. It helps me in two ways; I get healthier and I don't get as anxious.

Hope that this helps.
Scott
Old 01-02-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
boommer

Thank you all for helping me get through this,it has been very hard trying to control my emotions especially at work (I go hide in the bathroom till the water works stop).Right now I'm on my 9th step and on Christmas Day I apoligized to my ex.husband for my part I played during my addiction.I pray to my Higher Power everyday and night and attend 3 meetings per week and my soberity date is 4-28-2004 and I am so grateful for my HP and SR