Notices

Hands Across Time Zones Part 5

Old 01-07-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hmmmmn...looks like I'm being sabotaged!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

As I mentioned on the other thread, I have always been told I look like Diane Lane... but since I cut off all of my hair, I am told Annette Bening. I take either! HUGS.

I got your emails Rae, started reading. You're living at your Aunts house, going to bed early tonight. I hope! Hug.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

When Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
About 73 days, and counting!

Rainy days and Mondays...today, we have both...a gloomy, rainy Monday. But, the weekend was nice, so I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Wow, Jane...you're moving right along with the reading. I did a good bit of writing yesterday...once I get started, I become compulsive about it.

HATZ'ers...you may be interested in knowing I've been trying to complete my memoirs for the past several years (maybe since I first got the pc). I set it aside for too long, and decided to get back to it. I've asked Paula to do me the very big favor of reading/editing for me...so, I emailed her what I had done so far. I may become a published writer yet...then, again, I may not. But, I feel the need to do this...so, I'm a-doin' it, by golly!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I've been trying to respond, but for some reason my formatting buttons (including emoticons) are not working. Does anyone know if they aren't supportted by Firefox instead of Explorer?
Michael, it's not you--smilies/formatting/etc. have been funky around here since they did an upgrade a while back. The "Thanks" button only recently returned!

Hmmm....if my life were a TV series who would play me?? Good question. Though she looks nothing like me, I'd choose Emma Thompson--she's such a great actress & did an excellent job writing the "Sense and Sensibility" screenplay--I admire her work (and would love to have her accent!).

When I was in high school, people said I looked like the girl in "Footloose"--the preacher's daughter. (Gee, "only" 20 years ago....ACK!)
Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I'm finding my dogs particularly cute today, so bear with me. Here's the half-bald greyhound in his "jammies" (it's cold for the old guy at night!)

Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Awwww...Jane. Did you adopt him? I mean was he "retired" and "rescued" from racing?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Yes! Jazz was my Mothers' Day gift this past May, and is an ex-racer. He is either 10 or 8 years old--we aren't sure because the tattoos in his ears are blurry (you can trace a racing greyhound's birthdate, etc. through the numbers the breeder tattoos in their ears when they're tiny puppies). We were told that Jazz lost his tail in a starting gate accident--it got stuck, injured, and eventually turned gangrenous and was amputated-- and has obviously been through a lot judging from the scars all over his body (I counted 27 when we adopted him). He was adopted out to another home before he came to us, but that person became too ill to care for him. I swear, he is the sweetest creature I've ever known (and a great "big brother" to our little stinker of a beagle).
Old 01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Here's Asher trying to get someone to play. He is a total goofball.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

When I was watching Regarding Henry the other day, they had an adorable beagle puppy, and I thought, "I want one of those." The only trouble is they grow up, and I'm in no shape to be taking care of another pet.

I fixed an artichoke today...haven't had one in years, because I was the only one in the family who liked them and they're so expensive. I also decided that it's an awful lot of trouble to go through for so little enjoyment. I'll probably never have another artichoke!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Oh such sweet doggies. I am a shelter dog and cat kind of girl, no breeders for me, thanks. I love animals so much, I am a sucker for a furry face, which is why I ended up marrying Frank, big fuzzy goatee kinda beard when I met him. Thankfully he's hit the groomers since then!

I have been getting the boys ready for us to be kitten foster parents. The boys love cats, we had 4 now we have 1. I can't get any more permanent kitties because I am so allergic, but I want them to experience lots of animal love so they have a foster program to get the young kittens out of the shelter for a few weeks until they are strong and big enough for adoption. as soon as I am sure that they realize "they ALL go back to the store" as Griffie says. I will sign up. You know I am ending up with another cat. I am out of my mind! HUGS, bites and scratches!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raerob View Post
"Inu and neko"...cats and dogs, Michael? I understand some Japanese...who knew!?!
Anata no atama ga ii desu kara (It's because you're smart)!

That roast chicken is going to make your apartment smell so good...there's nothing like homemade "comfort food".
It did smell good, but it didn't turn out that great anyway. As evidence that I'm coming around to feeling human again, I cooked chicken, tofu, veggie stir-fry last night and I'm cooking lasagne as we "speak". On top of that, I'm cleaning as I go so I don't have piles of dirty dishes and pans for several days.

Is the sumo wrestling on tv, Michael? Is it a big betting sport over there?
The sumo is on TV. I have been to two exhibitions and two tournaments in person however. It's really fascinating when you understand a little. I have a friend who's brother is a rikishi (wrestler) but unfortunately he didn't win today. And it is a big betting sport (as is everything here)--just not legally!

In other news, I started Japanese lessons today in Shinjuku, a section of Tokyo. I'll be going for four hours a day, two times a week. I don't believe in omens, but there was an earthquake right as class started. I've been checking the net for info on how big it was, but I can't find anything yet. Oh well, shake, rattle and roll baby!

Take care all.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

About 72 days, and counting!

I am a shelter dog and cat kind of girl, no breeders for me, thanks.
Paula, everytime I took Jenny to the vet to have her ears cleaned out and shots/medication for her "chronic alergic dermatitis", he would tell me, "That's what you get for adopting a pure breed...you should have gotten a mutt." Then he'd say, "Do you want me to take her off your hands?" Hell, no, Doc...she's too cute! It would be like giving one of my kids away...come to think of it...that might not have been a bad idea. Only kidding!

Michael...you are sounding sooooo much better...maybe cooking is therapeutic (sp?) for you. Between the Japanese lessons and the sumo wrestling, it sounds like you're keeping busy with healthy interests, too. Good for you!

Oh well, shake, rattle and roll baby!
And, keep on truckin', Friend!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Rae, what a BEAUTIFUL picture you just posted (even if there is snow in it)! And I know what you mean about artichokes--they are delicious, but sure don't amount to much in the end.

Paula, I will never do another puppy again--the beagle about sent me over the edge when he was little (and still comes close to doing so on a daily basis though he's 5 now)! We're all about rescuing greyhounds from here on out--especially "seniors" nobody wants. The more I learn about what so many of these dogs go through as racers, the more I want to get them out of that life and into good homes. (I wish the racing industry were outlawed everywhere. grr.) Unfortunately, the rescue group I've volunteered with for the past two years has just had to dissolve, so it's time to find somewhere else to help.
I love that you're going to foster kittens! How cool is that?!

Wow, Michael--Can you please send some of your good cooking to my house? It sounds delicious!

Penguin, how are you? How is everything with your MIL?

Thinking of the rest of you.....Max, Dreamz, Miss C, RustyZipper....

Be well,
Jane
Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

As I've told Paula, I'm not really "an animal person"...my kids love animals, but I never really had. Except for this Jenny-Girl...she stole my heart as soon as I saw her on 10/26/96...I remember the date, because it was the same day I took my Granddaughter to see River Dance.

Johnny's friend had a litter of Springers that July...just two left, a male and a female. I immediately took a shine to the female, and we took her home...although I had absolutely no intention of having a dog. They had named her Jonelle after their 16 year-old-daughter who was away visiting relatives...I thought the name was a bit pretentious, so I renamed her Jenny.

The first three months we had her, she did the usual puppy things, and then some. We had to barricade her in the kitchen, so she wouldn't get at shoes, slippers, etc. But, we also had to take the garbage pail out of the kitchen, or she would tip that over and rummage through it. The worse thing she ever did was get my upper plate off the nightstand...I guess she thought it was a bone...I was a bit embarrassed when I had to go to the dentist and explain. She laughed, because it was not the first similar case she had...and, I thought Jenny was unique!

When Jonelle came home, she demanded "her dog back"...apparently her parents had given the dog away without her knowledge. I told her I was sorry, but absolutely not...after we had bonded with her for the past several months!

What was really funny about having Jenny is that she used to jump up in a rocker along side my bed to sleep, and she snored like a grown man...something about that long snout. When I was married, I used to poke my husband in the ribs if his snoring woke me; but, when I heard Jenny, I said, "Awww...how cute." Go figure. Yeah, they can really get to you.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Made some good tacos for dinner tonight. I'm looking forward to watching The People's Choice Awards to see if any of my favorites win.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

About 71 days, and counting!

Well, it's finally cold enough for snow, but no signs of it yet...too sunny, but brisk.

Paula did something to her lower back yesterday...probably chasing after "the boys"...I hope she's better today. Have to check on her later.

Right now, I'm going to have breakfast of an English muffin and tea.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
not a greeter

* SNOW ALERT *

It's snowing in Central New Jersey right now.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Finally! You all need the snow back there! How've you been, Gypsy?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Jane... been fine thank you .

Well...The snow was very short lived. It stopped almost as soon as I posted. It's all sunny out now LOL.

I have a little one home sick today. He's all head-achey, glassy eyed and weepy. One of my daughter's stayed home yesterday with almost the same symptoms. It doesn't appear to be a stomach thing though, so knock on wood there's no vomit!

I'm finally putting away the Christmas decorations, or most of them. Getting the tree out of the house and the living room put back together is the plan of action to be accomplished by the end of the week. I have to get rid of Christmas and get ready for my 10 (soon to be 11) year old's b'day party happening next week!!!

So... what's everyone else up to ?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Awww, the poor little sick guy. I hope he feels better soon!

I intend to sit down and write a (ahem) "Christmas" letter. Just a few weeks behind. Well, maybe I'll just write a couple personal letters the good old fashioned way--with a pen & paper--and forget the mass one. Or maybe I'll forget that and bake cookies!

NO. Bad Jane! I'm trying to eat more healthfully, so cookies are a no-no!

I hope you all have a great day!

xo
Jane