Notices

not sure where to start

Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sara & hope3 & MMAARRKK - WELCOME!!!
I admire all 3 of you, you know you need help and are seeking help!
I actually go to meetings with my High School Teachers they have quite a bit of time in the program. They are an inspiration to me, they knew all along while I was in High School I had a problem, they had been in recovery back then. I am 46 now and they are still strong in thier recovery. Us students had no idea, and thier kids never shared with us, we all went to school together and partied together. Now most of are in recovery and we laugh about it now. You have a purpose in life don't forget you will plant a seed and not even know by the way you live your life.

We are as sick as our secrets....FEAR is false events appearing real
Old 12-27-2006, 08:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Sara and welcome to SR you are now entering the twilight zone... no really, you are totally on the right track to recovery. Just keep coming and keep learning. Share what you can and you will be amazed at what can happen.

Peace, Levi
Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Sara! I too was very frightened about going to meetings, but when I finally attended my first few meetings, I was no longer scared. I suggest women's meetings (i'm sure someone has posted that already) at first, I felt more comfortable going to those in the beginning. Raising your hand as a newcomer will also allow other women to reach out to you, and lend a helping hand with your recovery.

You can do this!!

xo
heart
Old 12-28-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sara123456 View Post
Thank you all so much. It makes me feel better to hear that I am not alone. It seems silly but it is true.
Not silly at all. Knowing that I'm not alone in this means everything to me.

I am hoping to go to a meeting tomorrow but I am having a bit of trouble deciding on what type of meeting I should go to and a little trouble finding the times for meetings. Any suggestions?
For a first meeting, my suggestion would be to not worry a bit about what type it is, just get to one, meet some other women, and from there you'll start learning about what the different meetings in your area are all about.

The only exceptions would be if your area has some specialized meetings like we do here. Obviously, I would suggest that a man avoid a women's meeting, and vice versa. A straight person might not be comfortable at a GL (gay and lesbian) meeting. And personally, it wouldn't do me much good to sit in a spanish language meeting since, you know, I don't speak the language....
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In my opinion, there's no practical reason to NOT go to face-to-face meetings. It's an anonymous program. I've seen doctors, lawyers, judges, musicians, professors, plumbers, contractors, nurses, secretaries, and a whole slew of regular drunks like myself in the rooms of AA.

It's because of AA and the fellowship--both in person and here in these forums--that I haven't had a drop to drink in almost 5 years.