Notices

Not sure if this is the place for me, but Hello.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is the place for me, but Hello.

I am a 21 year old college student. I'm not an alcoholic, historically I probably drink less than the average college student.

I decided to quit drinking a week ago Sunday, I don't know for how long or anything, I really doubt permanently.

My main motivation was an incident that occurred on said Sunday, a friend made an alcohol related mistake the night before, and I show my support by getting drunk and yelling at her about being a bad friend or some non-sense during a phone call I don't even remember.

Also, I am struggling at school, something around a 2.44 GPA, I've been at this four year university for four years, but graduation isn't even in sight. I can't imagine drinking four times a week is helping my studies. I am also quitting marijuana, I wasn't a 'big time toker' or anything, but it's another thing where the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

A big thing I've noticed since my week plus of not drinking/smoking, I feel better. I feel smarter. For example, I can finish a Sudoku puzzle faster, I am more articulate, all that.

I found this forum when I did a search for "Sober Activities." I'm sure many of you can attest to the fact that most college activities aren't sober ones, and the majority of the time I hang out with friends, alcohol is part of the mix.

I don't want to be a buzz kill to my friends, but if they can't get over the fact that I wont be drinking then I guess they aren't quality buddies.

I've been going to the gym more, and hopefully can turn that into something I do all the time, I have some triathlete buddies, and while I can't swim (well, won't swim) I could see myself getting involved in a lot more athletics.

So I am here, to utilize the support offered, and to also give my insight. I doubt there are many other 21 year olds, but I'm a pretty good time so hopefully I'll be a good addition to this place. If I don't qualify because I don't go to a AA, well, I guess I can always just lurk.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Not 21 any more but I was 21 for a whole year *LOL*

Membership or association with any group is not required here. All are welcome.
You are making some very wise choices. Alcohol can get in the way of a few things in life...like good study habits, waking up on time for class/work, remembering what we did the night before, treating others with respect.
Been there done that. As for never drinking again... taking one day at a time is always a good measure for life.
Again...great choices you are making and great understanding of things.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome RolAndRun, I admire your courage and sence of self
to do what you believe is in your best interest. I am a little
older, however I returned to college and found it very
disturbing how many young beautiful people were talking about
all the partying they do which involves binge drinking. Infact
9 out of 10 students feel binge drinking is a problem in colleges.

I wonder if you are using any tutoring services at your school?
I found it helpful to me.

I wish you the best in your new quest! Hope3.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hello rolandrun,

i have a 22 year old daughter who is 90 plus days clean and sober. she faced a lot of the same issues as you at college and with friends, it's not an easy place to stay away from alcohol or pot/drugs. she decided to stop because she was doing poorly at school, having problems mananging money and friendships, and then she drank/drove and had a bad accident. she's taking some time off school, went through a rehab program, and is now living in a sober living house for awhile, until she gets her plan together. she needed this much help, but i know some folks are able to do it in other ways. she goes to aa daily, and has met a lot of people her age to hang around with. her phone rings off the hook...she had to walk away from a lot of her old friends, as they didn't really get her new way of thinking. a few have supported her though, and those are the ones who count. she said the same thing - her memory has really improved. and she just feels/looks better. she's safe and more fun to be around. she has a better future. a lot of cities have young people aa meetings. and your campus counselors should be able to point you in a lot of good directions. i don't know if you're in a position to ask your parents for guidance or not?

good luck! nice to meet you - k
Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Blacking out... you sure about not being an alcoholic? That isn't something that most normal drinkers experience.

Peace, Levi
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, Roland

You're in the right place. Lots of folks here don't go to AA. Lots of them do. Despite the method you utilize in your quest for sobriety, we are all united in our desire to live a sober life. Don't beat yourself up about your GPA. If you stay sober I'm sure it will improve. I got a 4.0 last semester only to totally flunk out this past semester. That failure was due in large part to my alcoholism progressing past the point of a mental addiction to a physical dependence. Yep, got the shakes, panic attacks, paranoia, hot and cold sweats, insomnia, etc.... All of which led to my life becoming totally unmanageable. It's no fun let me tell ya'. Physical withdrawal is the closest thing to hell on earth I've ever experienced. Hopefully, you'll never have to go through that. You're making the right move, even if it's not permanent. Oh yeah, if you're having blackouts you are already treading a slippery slope.

Best of luck Roland.

Last edited by caladan; 12-26-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
Welcome to SR. Blacking out... you sure about not being an alcoholic? That isn't something that most normal drinkers experience.

Peace, Levi
It wasn't from normal drinking by any means. I guess it would be called binge drinking. I would drink enough to the point where I'd keep going but would have no recollection of my activities the next day.

Anyone can drink to that point, and not be an alcoholic, right? My understanding of an alcoholic is someone who is addicted to alcohol, and I remember Dr. Drew saying that it is a disease. If it's anything, I've never been an every day drinker, and this week plus off the sauce hasn't been difficult or anything. I'm not like Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai screaming for Saki.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by RolandRun View Post

Anyone can drink to that point, and not be an alcoholic, right? My understanding of an alcoholic is someone who is addicted to alcohol....
YAH! I am off the hook.

ummm No that would be wrong.
Alcoholics are not alcoholics because of being addicted or based on amounts they drink, don't drink.
It is the affect that the alcohol has on my system that makes me an alcoholic.
One beer, two beer, three beer...floor.
I can't control when to stop once alcohol is added. Alcohol is progressive in it's nature as well. One night of binge drinking became just about every night before I found reason to stop.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Every time I drink I black out(and nearly always do something regretable) . I dont have massive cravings for drink every day. Can go weeks ,months without. Just when I have one ...it ends up being a skinful. Sure I can carry on drinking too.. days on end.. alcoholic.. binge drinker... dont make a difference what I call myself. just drinking is a problem for me. I salute you for posting. If you can nip this in the bud now..at 21 ..well that would be great..
Old 12-26-2006, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, it sounds like I have a bigger problem than I had thought. That is motivating, to say the least.