Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Upset stomach, soft stools, anxiety, vertigo, fatigue, brain fog, etc

Notices

Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Upset stomach, soft stools, anxiety, vertigo, fatigue, brain fog, etc

Are all of the symptoms I just mentioned common with alcohol withdrawal?. I'm on day 3 and when I woke up this morning, I felt wobbly on my feet and had to hang onto something just to keep my balance. Also, I have soft stools, fatigue, some slight dizziness and it more or less feels like I've got mono or chronic fatigue syndrome or something. I just don't feel all that good even though I am on day 3. My brain also feels sleepy/foggy/zombie-ish/stuporish and my guts are in knots.

Thanks for any input I can get on this as I am ALSO a Hypochondriac so too many symptoms tend to make me worry.

- Regards, NFIS
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well, that sounds similar to how I felt, but I'm not a doctor. My suggestion would be to get yourself to a physician, let him/her know that you're trying to quit, and get a good physical evaluation done. The effects of long term drinking can be pretty devastating on our bodies, and it can't hurt to get a professional opinion rather than trying to diagnose it ourselves.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi

hi there i had all them symptoms and they didnt pass for around a week but be assured u will feel better soon

best wishes mick
Old 12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It does sound kind of typical, but if you have questions at all, you really should talk to your dr.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was in an inpatient de-tox center for pain pills..there were also alcoholics there. I agree that you need to seek the advise of a professional because they would need to know how much and for how long you have been drinking to be able to answer a lot of your questions, etc. But, the people that were detoxing from alcohol expressed the same symptoms you are experiencing among others. It takes time to completely get it all out of your system. There was a guy on Dr. Phil the other day that had stopped drinking six weeks pryor to the show and he thought he was over it( I would have thought so too) but He, Dr. Phil, told him that it takes much longer than most people think. Not saying that your symptoms will last that long. Congratulations on your decision to stop. I know that depending on the degree of your drinking history it can be dangerous to de-tox on your own so pleeeeeease do seek the advice from a professional. Some family physicians are not as educated as others on this subject so I would reccomend talking to someone that specializes in substance abuse. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon. Try to drink as many fluids as you possibly can no matter what. And also allow your body the rest it needs. Are you able to stay in for a few days and rest?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
emerging from the darkness

I also think if these symptoms continue that you should seek the advice of a physician, just to be safe.

The symptoms you describe actually were what I was feeling while still drinking, once a few sober days were behind me everything cleared up, except possibly the depression and also chronic sleeplessness. They linger on still. I'm hopefull it will pass!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Depression...I had forgotten that one but I have been feeling down and depressed lately. I've also lost interest in sex because I'm usually either feeling bummed out or just to tired to "perform". I sure hope this clears up soon and thank you all for the great replies (they are very much appreciated!).

- Regards, NFIS
Old 12-19-2006, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Incidentally, I was just curious about something...what kind of hangover symptoms do you people have?.
Good grief, NFIS...between the hangovers, and now the withdrawals...

Get yourself to a doctor! I think your lack of interest in sex should be the least of your worries right now.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I agree with the other advice to consult with your doctor. At least give him a call and tell him what's going on with you so he either tell you to come in, or most likely he'll tell you to hang in there.