Notices

Hello Everyone

Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nivosa

Hello Everyone

Hi everyone my name is Rick and I'm 81 days sober today. Originally I quit drinking February 7, 1997. I remained sober for 5 years, then my wife cheated on me (subsequently divorcing me), my aunt died, and my mother had a stroke......all in the same month. That sent me over the edge and I began drinking heavily again for the last two years. Finally after one gunshot wound (yes a suicide attempt), various DUI's and legal issues, and an attempt to get hit by a moving truck I decided that Rehab would be the best course. I admitted on September 28, 2006 and remained for 21 days (even though the program lasted 45). After leaving rehab, I moved to Denver and have lived here for the past two months. There is not a single day that goes by that I do not thank my higher power that I am not drinking, and I am so thankful for forums such as this when I can't be at a meeting. Just telling anyone about my past helps me remember why I quit in the first place. I won't say it's been easy, but anything in life thats worth it usually isn't easy. So taking time to post things such as these give me an opportunity to reflect and realize that being complacent and just sitting back is no way to live a sober life away from Alcohol. Thanks everyone who reads this for listening and take care.
R
Old 12-18-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rick - that sounds like one hell of a rollercoaster to be chucked on. All the best with your new life away from alcohol.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Rick, I'm glad you're here to tell your story. SR is a wonderful place to post, and for me it's been a great addition to my program of recovery. You're right, being complacent doesn't work, so I'll look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rick,

Welcome! Your story is very powerful and I am so glad that things are good for you today. It isn't easy, but it is so worth it, to live a sober life. SR is a great place for support and inspiration so I hope you keep posting.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Rick!
You'll find SR to be rich in resources, support and genuine compassion.
Take care, keep posting!
S
Old 12-18-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Rick...Welcome to our SR community...

You do have a powerful story. I'm glad that you came here to share it with all of us...

Please stick around, read much and share your feelings with us. There are many good people here...

Again welcome...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

Hi rich, glad you are hereand I look forward to hearing more
about you> I've found alot of support and information here
at SR, Welcome Rick!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see a new member
Well done on your sober time

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

wow thats an amazing ride. thank you so much for sharing. if you lived in chicago i would ask you to give a lead at a meeting. some of the things that people have gone through in AA are mind boggling. i am definitely at home in AA with people like you. only people like us could truely indentify with each other and our experiences.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nivosa

Thank you everyone for the replies sometimes I get so caught up in the world I forget that there are others out there in the same boat. The way I always see it is we tend to get caught in our sinking boats treading water to stay afloat but forget to look around and see the other boats next to us doing the same thing! You will hear from me, take care,
Rick
Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Rick, for my first few months of sobriety I could only see the differences between other alcoholics and myself. When I had the clarity to recognize the similarities, a new world of possibilities opened in my life. I hope you find this too.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you Rick,
Astro, sekking differences and not similaritys is what put me back out for 6.5 years after 4 years sober. No I see so many similarities I'm constantly astounded.