Notices

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 5

Old 12-09-2006, 06:01 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Scootin.. I think we should go by how we feel, the scale is just numbers and we are all built differently.. small bone, big bone etc...

Also.. How old would we be if we didn't know our birthday??
Joanne
Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Anybody feel like sharing your favourite recipe(s)..
Here is a very good one..

BROCCOLI DIP

3 cups broccoli fleurettes (chopped finely)

1 red pepper (chopped finely)

1 small onion (chopped finely)

2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1 cup mayo

1 cup sour cream

pepper (to taste)

Mix all ingredients together, reserving 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top of the dip. Pour mixture into an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle top with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 F oven for about 25 minutes. Serve hot with tortilla chips. Please note that the smaller the pieces of broccoli the better the results.

Enjoy!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

OFF to bed I go I go..
I am doing a 10k walk for the salvation army tomorrow morning.. Bye for now.. Joanne
Old 12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Searching for moments of peace

Here's a super-duper easy one that's good for the holiday crowds. Not too healthy, but hey.

Hashbrown Casserole

1 32oz bag frozen hashbrowns
8 oz carton sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 med onion chopped
1 stick butter melted
10-12 oz grated cheddar cheese
season to taste

Combine all ingredients and put in 2 quart casserole dish. Top with the 1 stick of melted butter. Cook in the oven until hot.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

good night...sleep tight...love you all...
Old 12-09-2006, 08:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the words of wisdom and advice. My husband and I read through them together. I especially liked the suggestions of resources that he could find to help him understand more. I know he tries to understand, but he's pretty cut and dry about how it makes him feel. It hurts him when I slip.

The part that I really hate is the lying. He called me from Vancouver yesterday and knew, just from the tone of my voice, that I'd been drinking, yet I still lied to him. I swore up and down that I hadn't drank and I went so far as to try and make HIM feel guilty about it. How wrong is that? He told me that I had him convinced that he was crazy. I hate it that my first instinct is to lie to him. That's not what marriage is supposed to be about. But he's so intolerant. He keeps threatening to leave and I know one day he will. The problem is: I know he truly loves me. And I love him so much. I don't understand why I keep pushing him away.

We just got back from Christmas shopping. I just can't seem to get into the whole holiday cheer thing. I just want it all to be over. When did I turn into such a scrooge! Bah Humbug!

Goodnight. I'll be back tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Who am I

This crazy disease makes us all act in ways that we wouldn't sober. I think we can also have tendencies to self-sabotage. Part of us feels that we don't deserve to be happy. Replace some of those negative thoughts with postivie ones. I am worthy, I am worthy.. etc... Big hug..
Joanne
Old 12-10-2006, 05:02 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Morining ladies--its sunday, and I should still be ASLEEP!!

Looks like everyone is doing well with their holiday parties. I went to my hubby's yesterday, but It was really like a carnival for the kids. Face painting, games, crafts, Santa, cookie decorating....the kids had a BALL! Wore mommy out, but it was fun!

DH and I got ALL the rest of our xmas shopping done yesterday. Except for stocking stuffers, but I'll just pick those up a few days before. Soooo proud of myself, stuck to my list AND didn't go over the money I had allotted for xmas. (maybe we won't go broke from xmas this year...that'd be a first). Then we came home and watched xmas shows with the kids, all of us cuddled together in sleeping bags in front of the tv....it was like camping in december in the living room, we even roasted marshmellows....it was a very nice family night.

We're going to see "Happy Feet" and then go out to dinner with DH's parents tonight. Should be interesting since his Dad hasn't spoken a word to either of us since out little family meeting about DH's vicodin abuse a few weeks ago. I hope all goes ok and we don't end up in a big fight at dinner. I'll just keep my mouth shut and occupy myself with the kids...at least we're going to dinner AFTER the movie so we'll have something to talk about. Gonna try to get DH to put the xmas lights on the house today....that is always a pain, untangling lights, putting them on backwards, figuring out which ones are burnt out....I'm not looking forward to that either..maybe I'll just go back to bed!! Well, hope everyone has a nice, calm and sober free day!

Love you guys---oh ya! Ayla, I've never been under 125 in my life....about 5'4" and 140....don't think any amount of carrot sticks will ever get me under that....my weight is pretty consistent and I have a fluffy butt (and tummy)too! At 32 with 2 c-sections and breast feeding...I think I've earned my "fluffiness". ;-)

xoxoxo-Codi-
Old 12-10-2006, 05:11 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

ok guys, too much going on inside this thread......i've come across a couple things that i wanted to comment on.

TamTam - you do what's best for YOU. If you found some sort of comfort in your first AA meeting then by all means, try another. When i first started trying to stop drinking i started attending AA because i had friends who were in the "program" and had long term sobriety and it seemed to be working for them. At first my husband didn't quite get it....he was a little jealous even that AA was taking up alot of my time (mind you...at the beginning i was only doing probably 2 or 3 meetings a week). I started feeling guilty and stopped going and started drinking again. Did this a couple times, finally I decided that i wasn't happy, and like your husband says "if mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"....except no one knew how unhappy i was.....i wanted to drive off the road.....i made the decision that i was going to do whatever it was i needed to do to turn my life around. I went back to AA, got a sponsor, did everything they tell you to do. It hasn't been easy, it hasn't been a smooth ride but i've been sober more than not in the last year and i'm happier than i've ever been. I'm rambling, but i know that i would not be sober today if it were not for the friends i've made in AA. YOU do what Your gut tell you to do....our gut is usually not wrong. Just my opinion.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:22 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I agree with you Ig-
When I first got clean about 4 years ago I too was doing 3 sometimes 4 mtgs a week, and sometimes coffee after. My husband knew I had to do it for me, but resented the time I was gone. After a while I stopped going because I felt so guilty spending all my free time at meetings or at coffee with friends from NA. I relapsed big time after I stopped attending meetings, and went back out for two years. I know now I have to go to meetings, and we've worked out a schedule for my coffee time too. He has golf and bowling...I go to meetings and coffee. It works for both of us, and now my kids are so used to me going to meetings, they ask me if I've missed a couple in a row..."mom how come you're not going to a meeting tonight?" Reminds me that even though my family time is important...there will be no family time if I don't stay clean, and I do that by attending meetings and coming here. I say go to as many meetings as YOU need to go to for your sobriety. Just my 2 cents.

xoxoxo--Codi--
Old 12-10-2006, 05:22 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Ayla......you're not alone girl. I don't tell ANYBODY my weight, but.......i'm 5'6", 230 lbs, short brown hair and hazel eyes. Shhhhhh.......don't tell anyone i told you.....LOL Oh and i'm 37, going to be 38 a week from tomorrow (hint, hint)

Who.......non alcoholics do not understand us, they think it's all about will power and it's not.....it's a disease, it's a compulsive disorder, we have no control over the first drink, we have no control over our cravings, all we need to do is change EVERYTHING. I know for myself, i did not want to quit drinking, i HAD TO, my life depends on it. I spent a lot of time asking "why can't i drink like normal people"....cause i'm not like normal people. Once we take that first drink we've lost control over it. Maybe your husband could check out an Al-anon meeting......he'll learn that he didn't cause it and he can't fix it.

My hubbies calling me for breakfast, so i gotta go and then i'm headed to a meeting.....i'll check back with y'all a little later. Hang in there everyone, we can do it together!

Luv YA!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:25 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Yes Codie......that's exactly the way it was for me, BUT NOW..omg, my husband is soooo supportive (he even went to a meeting with me on Friday). At the suggestion of my sponsor i did 90 in 90, i go to at least 5 meetings a week now and if i miss one day, my thinking starts changing immediately. My daughter told me once when she grows up she wants to be a mom so she can cook supper and go to meetings every night. Careful what you wish for little girl!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning to all...

whoami - don't beat yourself up, we have all lied. it is the alcoholic in us.- i spent some time in alanon for my mother (that is a whole other story) she suffers more from self-harm/depression but also substance abuse and what you learn there is "love the person -hate the disease) b/c you are not the disease. and it is a disease. i know i am new to this, but that time in alanon has helped me come to grips with my own situation. to love myself and hate my disease... there is a book called "under the influence" someone mentioned earlier. it is really good at explaining that to us alcoholics, alcohol is like chocolate cake is to a diabetic. It causes chemical reactions that non alcoholic will never feel or understand. It is a medical problem - and a sometimes terminal disease, not a character problem..... and just like a diabetic we have to choose to follow our dietary management plan..... my dh read the book and it has helped him to seperate me from the disease

misti- i sure hope you are feeling better, i wish i could send help in the form of childcare your way!!

tamtam- AA is your choice, your program, your decision..i am struggling with the same thing, AA seems so extreme, and everyone has such different degrees of problems but the way i am looking at it right now, it can't hurt- maybe it will help, maybe not but it can't hurt to keep going to more meetings so...

4- if you are having trouble choosing a AA meeting, see if there is a phone no. to call, i called and they really helped me decide which would be less scary for me. and you don't have to say a word at the speaker or the discussion meetings unless you want to .. it was not nearly as scary as i thought it would be and just like here it was comforting to see others who were just like me (i cried the entire time but didn't talk)

ok well me and the boys are headed to the Santa Train...

have a safe and sober super sunday..
Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Smile Christmas Poem For Moms

For Moms

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the abode
Only one creature was stirring, and she was cleaning the
commode.

The children were finally sleeping all snug in their beds,
while visions of Nintendo and Barbie flipped through their
heads.

The dad was snoring in front of the TV
With a half-constructed bicycle propped on his knee.
So only Mom heard the reindeer hooves clatter,
Which made her sigh, "Now what is the matter?"

With the toilet bowl brush still clutched in her hand,
She descended the stairs and saw the old man.
He was covered with ashes and soot, which fell with a shrug,
"Oh, great," muttered Mom, "now I have to clean the rug."
"Ho Ho Ho!" cried Santa, "I'm glad you're awake,

your gift was especially difficult to make.
"Thanks, Santa, but all I want is time alone."
"Exactly!" he chuckled, "So, I've made you a clone."

"A clone?" she muttered, "What good is that?"
"Run along, Santa, I've no time for chit chat."
Then out walked the clone - The Mother's twin;
Same hair, same eyes, same double chin.

"She'll cook, she'll dust, she'll mop every mess.
You'll relax, take it easy, watch The Young and The Restless."
"Fantastic!" the Mom cheered. "My dream has come true!"
I'll shop, I'll read, I'll sleep a night through!"

From the room above, the youngest did fret.
"Mommy? Come quickly, I'm scared and I'm wet."
The clone replied, "I'm coming, sweetheart.
"Hey," the Mom smiled, "she sure knows her part."

The clone changed the small one and hummed her a tune,
as she bundled the child in a blanket cocoon.
"You're the best mommy ever. I really love you."
The clone smiled and sighed, "And I love you, too."

The Mom frowned and said, "Sorry, Santa, no deal.
That's my child's love she is trying to steal."
Smiling wisely, Santa said, "To me it is clear,
Only one loving Mother is needed here."
The Mom kissed her child and tucked her in bed.
"Thank you, Santa, for clearing my head.
I sometimes forget, it won't be very long,
when they'll be too old for my cradle and song."

The clock on the mantle began to chime.
Santa whispered to the clone, "It works every time."
With the clone by his side, Santa said, "Good night.
Merry Christmas, dear Mom, you will be all right."

~ Author Unknown ~
Old 12-10-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

that was sweet.....everyone hang in there....too tired to read back everything, but i see the advice given on this page and it is all good....noone is happy with what they look like it seems sometimes...i want to be fluffier and have straight hair.....
anyway, still rough today, don't know how much i'll be here, but missing you all...hey, and yesterday was FOURTEEN DAYS, woo hoo!
hugs all around, but i don't think you want me touching the coffee and donuts
Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

thanks for the poem curly. Ig, I'm so happy to see so much of you here lately. You seem to be doing really well. Beezy, no advice, just lots of love and support to deal with a very uncomfortable situation. Tam, I'm going through a lot of the growing pains of attending AA and facing my alcoholism and hopefully all that we share here can help you skip a few bumps in the road. When I try to not go to so many meetings because I worry that it's taking away "family time" or time to do house stuff I usually end up getting really edgy, weak, emotional and ready to quit. Then I get back to meetings and things start calming down. I never wanted to believe it, but I do think meetings make a difference. It's a place for your head to be quiet and gain strength against the monster. Please make the decision that's best for YOU and don't worry about what the hub thinks. He'll get used to it even if he doesn't understand it. I just went through this today and ended up crying because I felt so much guilt. I went to the meeting anyway and feel so good now. My sponsor says to always choose guilt over a resentment. It's easier to deal with later and does less damage to ourselves.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:12 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good morning (afternoon c'est- why are you in France? I missed that...)

Wow, I was coming on to back track and get the punch recipe and I found all of this love and support!! Thank you. The meetings I will go to are at 12:30 so they don't interfere with family time. I had already decided I was going to go- Last Tuesday I felt so alone, I knew going to AA would help that... besides my angel is there. Between her, my daddy and cousin above and all of you, I don't know if I have ever had so many angels looking out for MY well being. It makes me really emotional.. and now I'm teary!!

Whenever I get on line DH says, "So, how are the girls?"...

Curly, the train ride sounds so fun!!

OKAY- every company should have a family friendly Christmas party with Santa! That sounds wonderful. The rest of the day sounds great, too, Codi. Tell us how the movie is- I mentioned many parts ago that my mother (63 next week) asked for a dancing happy feet penguin. It's wrapped and ready to be mailed off.... doesn't that explain a lot of my issues right there. lol

Anyone besides 4 have a party last night?

Misty- hang in there!!!! Did you ever hear from your mom?

I started reading one of my co-dependent books last night.. that is the first issue we have to deal with in therapy...

ig, ayla, codi, joanne, curly, 4, who, misti, c'est, candy, ruby (suppose she still has the purple boots on and that's why we haven't heard from her..), liss, um, um, um, omg who else... oh, Beezy!! of course, Maybe I'll remember after another cup of coffee?

((( ))) & xoxo to all of you- thank you all so much!!!!!!!
Tammy
Old 12-10-2006, 07:19 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

How could I forget my sweet Scoot!!!!!!!!!!! sorry, honey..
Old 12-10-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey gals!

It's Sunday and the purple boots have been replaced with sweatpants and sneakers! It's been a great weekend. Hubby has been so wonderful and fun! Getting ready to make some sandwiches and snacks and settle in for some football and serious chill time!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:57 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

thanks tamtam! i needed that this a.m.! hugs back atcha!

we're off to see santa at the yacht club (where we keep our boat), there's a party and dinner with the rest of my hubbie's family. just thought...that's the place i had my last blackout 139 days ago--ha! be with me, sobriety elf!

dh (which i know as "dear husband") has been distant and grumpy again. gotta go lavish some attention his way and see what's up.

hope you all are well ('specially mik and any other plague-ridden mommas) and having a wonderful december morn!

hugs to you all!

ps. c'est, it has been really cool to see how you and your attitudes about drinking and aa have changed during the course of my time here at sr. you are a testament and an inspiration, ma cherie!