Notices

Controlling People at work - everyone trying to be on top

Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Controlling People at work - everyone trying to be on top

I wonder if any of you have experienced this. Everyone at my work is trying to be on top all the time. So what happens is that people try to control me during conversations. Or they belittle me. There is even a brand new guy here and he is already trying to be the alpha dog. The sales guys are the worst. They dont know how to do the systems i am doing, yet they want to come around yelling without a clue. What's worse is that because of my drinking problem and because everyone knows the trouble i am in..they take the liberty of talking down to me even more. Which in turn makes me angry..
Old 12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

its like a big **** hole with each person trying to prove who has the bigger &*(*
Old 12-08-2006, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like it may be time to look for another job
Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Grebell

Man, I have so been there.

I'm kind of a workaholic and am very proud of what I do. Our office is the same way, especially with our sales dept. I also found that being hungover or actively withdrawing from my alcohol issues made me a target. I could function well enough(not) to do my job, but had no defenses left to cope with the sharks.

I think that because I was anxious and feeling guilty all the time because of my drinking, I didn't advance in the food chain like I should have.

A whole lot of these issues have been resolved because of my choice to abstain. I'm comfortable and capable in my job, and now that I can deal with my workmates as a functining human things are way way better, I actually look forward to Monday mornings, now, as I know that I will be able to perform at my best.

If there's one area in my life that I have gotten the biggest satisfaction at being sober, that is in my job.

Yep, it's a jungle. However, with some positive choices in my life, I can safely say that I can survive with all my standards intact. Soar with the eagles, so to speak.

Good luck to you and I wish you well. I hope you fnd what you're looking for at SR.

Ron
Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Work politics suck!! But its just like anywhere else in the world. My advice to you is to do your best, play fair, and don't give a hoot about the rest of your co-workers trying to step on eachother to get to the top!! As long as you can go home at the end of the day knowing you're not feeding into it, you can feel good about yourself. I lost my nursing license because of my addiction, and everyone knew what was going on. I went to work, did my job to the best of my ability, and at the end of the day could go home knowing that they were the ones acting like a*******, not me. Good luck to you!!

Codi
Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten lots of good advice here.

The thing I would like to add is something that was a problem for me. You said everyone knows about the trouble you're in. I used to share too much personal stuff with people that I worked with. That is a HUGE mistake to make. I now have firm boundaries about what I say and who I talk to.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WOW!! THANKS SO MUCH. You know exactly what I am going through. And, thanks for giving me hope that it will get better as I stay sober. I am def a target for the sharks right now. In time I will learn to cope with them.