Notices

Hi Everyone!!

Old 12-08-2006, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hi Everyone!!

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and thought I would introduce myself to all of you.
I'm a 35 year old woman (who has acted like a teenager for far too long)
I have my own business, and I am an alcoholic, scary for me to actually write it, let alone say it. I had a major drinking blackout this past Monday, and literally scared me into sobriety. Besides blacking out I also have been having nosebleeds which I have never gotten since I was a kid, I'm relating it to heavy drinking?? I have been drinking since I was around 13 years old, and have managed to control it until recently, where I don't know what the outcome of my behaviour will be. The person I sometimes turn into is a monster, someone who I don't like at all. I really feel overwhelmed with the thought of never drinking again, I feel as though I will just set myself up for failure, and feel worse, even though I know I don't have a choice. Make sense?? Christmas is coming and that usually involves drinking in my family, my brother is also an alcoholic. Any tips on how I can manage this time of the year??
I look forward to chatting with this group and getting to know all of you.

loveon2legs
xoxo
Old 12-08-2006, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

It is overwhelming to think of never drinking again, so just take small steps and don't look too far into the future. You've come to a great place to get support for your decision.

I could not be around people who were drinking for several months when I stopped drinking. I tried it once and just about went nuts. I didn't drink that night, but went out the next day and drank. So, for quite awhile I stayed away from people who drank. We never keep alcohol in the house and I am seldom around people who are drinking. It's a choice that works for me.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching for moments of peace

Hey love. I just joined this great community yesterday. Just wanted to let you know that I'm struggling with the same fear of not ever drinking again. The advice I keep getting is to not think about "ever again", but just to think about today. I am not going to have a drink today.

I finally just admitted my problem to my DH last night. I might try an AA meeting next week. Tonight we're getting together w/some friends. Probably will end up at a restaurant and certainly they will have some drinks. I told one of my girlfriends that will be there that I'm not drinking anymore. I figured that would keep me from ordering anything.

The thoughts are definitely overwhelming. Plus we have a xmas party tomorrow night. This is certainly an inconvenient season to try to sober up in. I totally wish I could just be anti-social for awhile to get through this initial period. But it's impossible to avoid all the family/friend get togethers this time of year. I feel your pain. I'm going to be drinking lots of fizzy soda water w/lime. It helps me for some reason.

Welcome!!!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello LO2L, I'm glad you're here and are taking some action. Have you considered trying an AA meeting. You might find others just like you who can help you with managing the temptations through the holiday season.

I've got my company Christmas party coming up this weekend, and there'll be plenty of alcohol. This will be my second year sober, and if it'll offer you any encouragement, it was entertaining last year to watch the condition of my fellow employees deteriorate as the night went on. Sort of like watching myself in a mirror, and it was a frightening reminder of my drinking career. I drink Pellegrino sparkling water with lime at these events, and it suits me just fine.

I started drinking at 14, and quit at 42. It's never too late to quit, and sobriety has given me a life I'd never dreamed of. I owe that to my AA program.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Loveon2legs,

I had a long career drinking also, and quit at the age of 41. I can not go to Christmas parties where there is a lot of drinking. I have been sober for over a year now, and I still don't really feel like I want to deal with it.

As an alcoholic, I could never say I will stop drinking forever. I can only not drink TODAY. That's all there is. that's not nearly as hard. If I thought honestly I could never drink until the end of time, my mind would not accept it. It would drive me to drink. I can stay sober one day, today.

I am a drunk that didn't drink today, just to remind me of why i don't drink. That's how I do it.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NAIOU

ForMyGuys and loveon2legs: Try to stay in the here and now. Right now neither one of you are drinking. That is a big deal in itself. Try one day at a time. That is all you have to do is not drink today. Because yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery. You both might want to try to hit a AA meeting and see how you like that. Holidays are hard for people that are trying not to drink. When asked would you like to have a drink at a party reply no thank you I have already had enough. Or no thank you I am allergic to alcohol. People seem to understand if it is a medical reason. Hope this helps. Give yourself a pat on the back for just not drinking today.