Notices

Silly Question about my habit

Old 12-05-2006, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Silly Question about my habit

I was talking to another former addict the other day. I told him I had a $300 / week coke habit. He said that was a light habit compared to him. I can't imagine that. I used from sunrise to 1 a.m. I think that was a huge drug habit.

I know this is stupid thing to think about it, it doesn't really matter in my grand scheme of things -- addiction is addiction. But doesn't $300 a week seem pretty outrageous? It did to me. It does to me.

I'm feeling tired and daffy tonight, I just had to ask this.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does when your DOC is cheap vodka :wink2:

Still, that could get you a decent apartment here in So Cal
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I bet the dealers charge what they can get.
Ghetto prices would be cheaper.

Good to see you are clean!
Your saving money and your life
Old 12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NAIOU

I have smoked up cars, houses, boats and numerous other things. I have used up $1,000 in a 24 hr. period. Many years ago I spent up $20,000 in a two week period. In a 35 year addiction I had plenty of time to use up every thing I had. Today I do not have much but I am happy, joyous and drug free. Anything that you have not done in active addiction, just give it time and you might. No one has to go through what I have gone through in active addiction. No one is totally useless, they can always serve as a bad example. I made enough money to buy Miami and I pissed it all away. Love and Respect.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL. All that crap on the street is just that, crap. It's a good thing too cause the top stuff causes no physical discomfort, hence why you can do it all night. I digress.

Yeah, that's $16,000. Man oh man oh man oh man. I could'a purchased the motorcycle I long wanted for that. If I could only sell my nose and get some of that money back. LOL. That would look weird. I'm tired. I have to go to bed.

I'm the clean machine now.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow. Logo. I don't feel so bad.

I guess my AAer pal was right, I was on the bunny slope. Thank God. As long as you're happy, you don't need all those cars and homes, though it would make being happy a bit more comfortable, no?

You made me laugh.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You like Buffett?

I grew up in Florida. In fact, I'm here now visiting my folks. Been in Los Angeles now for 10 years but I miss home. I've seen Jimmy Buffett more times than I can count. My mother's friend took me to a concert when I was 15 and let me smoke a joint beforehand. The good old days.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Now I'm singing that song... "I made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it away so fast. Never meant to last, never meant to last."
Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

In the 80's, I worked for an .. um ... ok lets just say a 'person' with a 4,000.00 a week habit.

that was the 80's!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sheesh

I feel somewhat relieved that I hadn't swam way out in deep waters. I was well past the shoreline but I wasn't too far that I couldn't come back.

$4,000 a week. That's just crazy. I didn't know it was possible to use that much in a week. What happened the person?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know from over ten years ago, I tried that stuff once or twice and at that time it was 100.00 per gram. A gram could go as fast as 10 minutes or 10 hours depending on who had it. I am just very fortunate that to me it was like drinking way too much coffee and I never went back to it. Tried it, got the tshirt and left it.

I know from my work now that some get habits that go upwards of 1,600 per day. Literally.

That said, the issue isn't the amount you were using, it is what it did to you. Just because buddy says that isn't a big deal, doesn't mean it wasn't a big deal for you. I'd say he needs to look at his issues and see why he feels it is necessary to "compete" with you as to amounts used. My sense is that is not a healthy behaviour.

As the big book says, some go all the way to full blown addiction and others can learn from their experience and never have to bottom out by living on the street, etc. You admit you have a problem and that you are trying to put it behind you, that is all that is important. I am proud of you for making that admission and doing something about it.

I am empathetic for the person that was one upping you in that I can sense he is still struggling and hurting. The alcoholics, that was my DOC, that have the best sobriety and the most impact on me are those that NEVER compare what was drank... rather they share their ES&H and inspire me to be like them. They do tell funny stories about what they did and how absurd it was at the time, but there is never one upping.

Peace, Levi
Old 12-06-2006, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

People metabolize drugs differently. What's a whole lot to some people isn't much to others, but that's not so much the drugs as how the individual body reacts to them.

There are plenty of people who drank and used more than I did, but I was plenty miserable the way I was, and things have changed. That's the important thing.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

this is where I get all crazy in my head.

Whenever I compare my past with your past, I risk losing my perspective. and then I start telling myself i wasn't THAT bad. and then....I think I can drink moderately like before...and then, i drink.

Whether I tot up the dollar amount or list my alcoholic battle scars is all the same. Its comparing myself to others or "awfulizing" my condition because I also totally love drama, and inflating my problems.

For my own sobriety to be solid, I need to stay in today. I did what I did and it was just the perfect amount to get me to today. Sober.

This is just what works for me. Thanks for the topic.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My daughter's bf made $140,000 last year. He never paid his taxes (self-employed) child support or rent (evicted twice in five months) actually never paid any bills. So except for whatever he spent on food, and gas to visit his dealers, he pretty much smoked up that money plus all of the things like 4-wheelers, TV's, guns, etc. he sold to dealers. And he is still going strong. Plus he is a big shot and buys his women their drugs too. So I figure that he spends about $2,000 or so a week.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Crazymarble: I grew up on Jimmy Buffett. I live in Tampa Florida. It really is not about how much we used or who our connections were, but what we want to do about our problem. I admire young people who are trying to find a new way to live without the use of drugs. The part I had to get was don't use no matter what. Love and Respect. p.s. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Perhaps what really matters, is what we spent on it today.

For me, that would be nothing........you all too?